Observations XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
:nod:
To me, what happens next year will decide the fate of Laviolette- he isn't going to be fired this year no matter what happens the rest of this season. And nor should he.

I think this has just been a kind of disjointed year for a variety of reasons. The shock of the Subban/Weber trade and the adjustment period for it. Subban being injured/not looking like his usual self until late in the year. All of the injuries, especially on D. And a bunch of underperforming players, particularly forwards.

All of which adds up to a frustrating, inconsistent, disappointing year.

Next year, though? All bets are off. I really believe we will be primed for a big year next year, maybe even the kind of year many thought we would have this year. Especially if we are able to add a 1 or 2 center over the summer.

If we are sitting here next year at this time fighting for a wild card spot again, I really believe changes will be made, maybe even during the season.......
The bad thing is that this team played defense better when we had someone injured than a fully healthy defensive core.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Im going to pop back in just long enough to express my appreciation for the fact that calling for coaching change is now in vogue. I was ahead of the curve last spring.

Never liked the fit, but I was also a Trotz supporter through the end. We don't seem to make good adjustments, have iffy discipline, are mentally fragile/lack poise and I still think just lack any sort of team identity. Those are all ultimately coaching issues.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Tonight is the opportunity to step on the Kings throats. Will the team be up to it??????????????????

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
s big of a tire fire as the last week has been, if we could somehow come up with a win in regulation tonight that would all but guarantee us a playoff spot

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Yeah, win tonight and all is forgiven as far as I'm concerned. Time to right the ship. Rinne played well on Thursday. Hope he can put together another good game tonight.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Sissons in for Fiddler and Fiala in for Harry Z. Now add PA in for 55 and we look good on offense.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Sissons in for Fiddler and Fiala in for Harry Z. Now add PA in for 55 and we look good on offense.

I'd be totally fine with a fourth line of Watson, Sissons, and Smith. Although I suppose they might get pinned in the zone as much as the Fiddler line has.

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson
Wilson-Jarnkrok-Neal
Fiala-Fisher-Parenteau
Watson-Sissons-Smith

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

I'd be totally fine with a fourth line of Watson, Sissons, and Smith. Although I suppose they might get pinned in the zone as much as the Fiddler line has.

Wilson-Jarnkrok-Neal
Fiala-Fisher-Parenteau
Watson-Sissons-Smith

You don't want Craig Smith in for defensive zone faceoffs, that's not good for anyone.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Wilson-Jarnkrok-Neal
Fiala-Fisher-Parenteau
Watson-Sissons-Smith

It probably works fine against certain teams, my bigger concern would be against teams like Anaheim that are notorious dbags that they don't try and take advantage of the lack of umph that line up has. Yeah Fisher brings some, Watson as as well, but that worries me we end up seeing a ton of crap on the ice. Granted with them I'm not sure it matters, they are going to do their cheap shot stunts anyways.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

You don't want Craig Smith in for defensive zone faceoffs, that's not good for anyone.

We've reached the point where there is going to be a problem somewhere that we simply can't fix with the players we have. I guess the trick is figuring out which is the lesser of two evils at this point and going with it. Part of me is disgusted that here we are in March, and the coaching staff is still trying to figure out line combos.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
We've reached the point where there is going to be a problem somewhere that we simply can't fix with the players we have. I guess the trick is figuring out which is the lesser of two evils at this point and going with it. Part of me is disgusted that here we are in March, and the coaching staff is still trying to figure out line combos.

That might be partially true, but there are much better options than Smith for the 4th line even with the players we have, McLeod is even a better option provided his linemates aren't Fiddler and Harry Z. Salomaki is playing his way back through Milwaukee as we speak, he'd be perfect in that spot if he can manage to come back.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

am just realizing that out second line is the "FFS" line.... if you come to the politics board I can tell you what that stands for, at least in my mind

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
am just realizing that out second line is the "FFS" line.... if you come to the politics board I can tell you what that stands for, at least in my mind

It fits because that's what you'll be saying after about the 5th time Fiala or Smith fails to capitalize on a great chance.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Switch Weber with Tony that'll bring some grit. McLeod-Sissons-Watson is not very good. No possession. Smith might be good there.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Switch Weber with Tony that'll bring some grit. McLeod-Sissons-Watson is not very good. No possession. Smith might be good there.

Smith would not be good there. His possession numbers are only good because he is pretty much the most sheltered player in the entire NHL. What does he do with all of these sheltered, highly offensive minutes? Not a damn thing that shows up on the stat sheet, not this season. Smith would quite literally be as bad as anyone on the team in that spot on the 4th line starting off in the defensive zone.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
That second line is really worrisome not just for the lack of production. May be ok against the Kings but sure would not want to see that line against the Ducks or Sharks. There are three guys in these lines that will get eat up against grinding teams.

Maybe 4 if Arvy does not keep his head up.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
That second line is really worrisome not just for the lack of production. May be ok against the Kings but sure would not want to see that line against the Ducks or Sharks. There are three guys in these lines that will get eat up against grinding teams.

Maybe 4 if Arvy does not keep his head up.

I agree

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Where the **** is PA?

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing. I didn't mind the deal, giving up a 6th rounder for him....... that is of course, if he is actually able to, you know- PLAY A GAME!

He is now guaranteed to pretty much miss at least 25% of the games he was eligible for since the trade....

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yeah, I am wondering the same thing. I didn't mind the deal, giving up a 6th rounder for him....... that is of course, if he is actually able to, you know- PLAY A GAME!

He is now guaranteed to pretty much miss at least 25% of the games he was eligible for since the trade....

They said he was injured and would probably miss at least a week. I still don't get why we traded for a guy that was injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad