Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Don't be too quick to judge. I'm praying Weber develops a rash in the last few years of his contract when he's ready to retire. That whole salary cap recapture thing scares the bejeezus out of me.

yikes, don't remind me.
Wasn't that deal made before the current CBA, thus making that deal not valid anymore or does it stand if it comes to Weber retiring before playing all the remaining years?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
They should really look at how much of a cap advantage a team got as welll. For example, would the Preds have been over the cap every year in the early portion of the Weber deal? No desire to look it up but if not then was there even an advantage? We didn't make the deal and had to match the Flyers off so we really had no contractual structuring intent.

On the other hand I'm guessing Chicago needed that deal structure as they were likely always at the cap.

(Just guessing)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
As of now, I believe it still stands. In our particular circumstances if Shea retires early I think they'd end up negating at least part of it.

Here are my thoughts on why they SHOULD negate most of it--
It was our own RFA -- we were matching a contract devised by another team designed to hurt a smaller market (poorer) team, minimizing cap hits while maximizing early salary. We didn't need the minimized cap--we had plenty of space. Any cap hit we were "saving" by the contract structure wouldn't have put us over except for, I believe, 1 year.

Maybe we should pay back the amount of cap space we would have been in excess that one year, but in reality maybe not--we paid salary+ bonus way over normal the first 5 years of that contract JUST to keep our player.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
yep agreed. hossa is still a big contributor for the hawks and it's not like they are sitting good with the cap even with the news of hossa.

still leaves a bad taste in your mouth with the narrative of certain teams getting away with things they shouldn't.. ala pittsburgh and those bs calls in game 1 and game 6.. (sorry couldn't resist)

Its also the salary decrease which is annoying. I guess the rash isn't worth the 1 million in cash. Higher salary though .... ;).

In all seriousness, I am not against a player doing what is right for his health, regardless of what it is.

The blackhawks organization, though, I want to face every hardship possible :laugh::laugh::laugh:

James Neal gone seems like one of Poile's major gaffes. It reminds me of the Kevin Klein, Paul Gaustad, Franson (deal 1 and deal 2 trades).

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Welp, there it is. David Poile just gave James Neal away for free. He is already making comments about young players stepping up and having to pay a price, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Disappointing.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
See you all there.

How awesome would that be? We have always had to deal with having large amounts of opposing fans trying to come to Bridgestone when their team is in town because of how popular the city of Nashville is.

But can you imagine how bad its going to be for the Vegas franchise?? I'm sure the team itself will love it, but I almost feel bad for their hard-core fans- going to be a TON of visiting fans for almost every game.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Ooooooh, a NYE in Vegas with 500 of my dearest friends all decked out in gold? That sounds like a plan!

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Really looking forward to the schedule so we can plan the yearly road trip. The Vegas New Years deal isn't going to happen but maybe something else will pop up. A Vegas+Cali swing would be fantastic.

Anyone know what time the full schedule is supposed to be released?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Ooooooh, a NYE in Vegas with 500 of my dearest friends all decked out in gold? That sounds like a plan!
It's gonna be tough to decide between Vegas and the yearly Denver trip (Could very easily be the same one). I'm probably the only person in the world who has been to Vegas upwards of a dozen times but never really done the typical "Vegas trip".

But yeah it'll be weird to be excited to go to a road city the same way others are when they come to ours.

At least if the local fans get annoyed by visiting fans, we can sympathize with them.....

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
It's gonna be tough to decide between Vegas and the yearly Denver trip (Could very easily be the same one). I'm probably the only person in the world who has been to Vegas upwards of a dozen times but never really done the typical "Vegas trip".

But yeah it'll be weird to be excited to go to a road city the same way others are when they come to ours.

At least if the local fans get annoyed by visiting fans, we can sympathize with them.....

I've never been to Vegas. Not a gambler, not big on shows or neon...just like hockey, the occasional beer, and good company. Now that they have all that it sounds interesting.

That said, I will NEVER be the type of rude fan that we have occasionally had in our arena, even though we're an older team and by all rights "successful" at this point. I don't like it, I won't do it. Just not in my DNA.

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
I've never been to Vegas. Not a gambler, not big on shows or neon...just like hockey, the occasional beer, and good company. Now that they have all that it sounds interesting.

That said, I will NEVER be the type of rude fan that we have occasionally had in our arena, even though we're an older team and by all rights "successful" at this point. I don't like it, I won't do it. Just not in my DNA.

Kinda bummed the Vegas game is January 2 ... in my business, no way I can be gone at New Years and while school is still out for the holidays. Was hoping to make this trip.

Adzy ... if you go, let me know. I've been to Vegas probably upwards of 40 or more times. I can recommend several awesome restaurants (of the million they have ... lol) and some shows I'd suggest. Vegas can be a blast as long as it's no more than 3 days. I've done a couple stints longer than a week .... brutal!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

The only reason I was in Vegas so many times was because when I lived in California I dated a girl for a few years who grew up there and we would go for family stuff. I like it a lot but I'm a fan of the desert. I like Phoenix also. With that said, as stereotypical as it is, I'd really like to have a few days and nights in Vegas doing non-local, "Vegas" things. No better time than for a Preds game.

January 2 is a blessing and a curse though. It would be a great time to be there but it could very well be way too expensive for me right around New Year's

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.

I've been thinking about a trip to 4 corners, Monument Valley, Bryce, Arches, Coral Reef etc, for some time. Never thought about a January trip though.

Come on ADZ, one good hockey fight in the stands won't kill ya. I've got your back. I'll even sneak in a catfish for you to hurl over the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad