Observations XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Isn't it interesting that we're 7-1-1 yet it feels like we're underachieving. We've fallen into this constant state of dis-satisfaction because we believe we could be so much better.

I get it. I do it. But if everyone played like we expected, we'd never lose a game. Fact is, all teams are flawed. No way CBJ should have lost to us, according to their fans and their track record. We gave up a weak goal and almost folded in crunch time, and we still won.

We don't have to be the best, we just have to be slightly better than the other flawed team we're playing. That's been the formula for the 7-1-1 run.

I worry that we're creating a negative vibe around this team because they disappoint us too much, yet they're firmly in 3rd and a playoff spot. The crowds seem nervous and un-Pred-like quiet. We obsess over key mistakes as if players won't make mistakes. They will, we just have to make less of them than the other team.

There are many franchises who aren't perennial playoff team. Their fan bases suffer thru meaningless games. We are a perennial playoff team. We have the pieces to pursue the Cup. We play an exciting brand of hockey.

Guess what I'm saying is, hockey life is good. We'll start our Winter Run into the playoffs with many exciting, nail-biting games. We'll love them a lot, and hate them some too. Rinne will continue to let in softies, but at the same time win games. Regular Season Willy is continue to frustrate us ...... until he scores the first goal in Game 1 of the playoffs.

And we'll continue to care. Our give-a-**** meter will register high numbers and hopefully we'll all fully appreciate how blessed we are to be Pred fans in Nashville.

An experience like no other .....

Amen! Hallelujah! God damn it! Let's gooooo!

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
Isn't it interesting that we're 7-1-1 yet it feels like we're underachieving. We've fallen into this constant state of dis-satisfaction because we believe we could be so much better.

I get it. I do it. But if everyone played like we expected, we'd never lose a game. Fact is, all teams are flawed. No way CBJ should have lost to us, according to their fans and their track record. We gave up a weak goal and almost folded in crunch time, and we still won.

We don't have to be the best, we just have to be slightly better than the other flawed team we're playing. That's been the formula for the 7-1-1 run.

I worry that we're creating a negative vibe around this team because they disappoint us too much, yet they're firmly in 3rd and a playoff spot. The crowds seem nervous and un-Pred-like quiet. We obsess over key mistakes as if players won't make mistakes. They will, we just have to make less of them than the other team.

There are many franchises who aren't perennial playoff team. Their fan bases suffer thru meaningless games. We are a perennial playoff team. We have the pieces to pursue the Cup. We play an exciting brand of hockey.

Guess what I'm saying is, hockey life is good. We'll start our Winter Run into the playoffs with many exciting, nail-biting games. We'll love them a lot, and hate them some too. Rinne will continue to let in softies, but at the same time win games. Regular Season Willy is continue to frustrate us ...... until he scores the first goal in Game 1 of the playoffs.

And we'll continue to care. Our give-a-**** meter will register high numbers and hopefully we'll all fully appreciate how blessed we are to be Pred fans in Nashville.

An experience like no other .....

I always enjoy the "take a step back and look at the bigger picture" posts from ILIILI. It's so easy to get caught up in the roller coaster of highs and lows that come from individual games. Always good to try to remember why you invest yourself in a sports team to begin with.

And now, one more deep breath before the final push. Hold on to your hats!

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just looking ahead at our upcoming schedule. Overall I think it sets up pretty nicely-we have a bunch of home games coming up- 9 of the next 13 will be at Bridgestone.

The bad news is those 4 road games are VERY difficult- Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Columbus, Minnesota- doesn't get much tougher than that.

Hopefully we can split those 4 and take care of business at home…….

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I was browsing around nhl.com stats, and didn't realize how often Forsberg misses the net on his shots. He is 2nd in the league in missed shots (behind Ovechkin who shoots the puck way more). I thought maybe it's a weird year for him, but he had the same results last season.

Not sure if this has any significance or not, but you'd logically think hitting the net is better than not.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I was browsing around nhl.com stats, and didn't realize how often Forsberg misses the net on his shots. He is 2nd in the league in missed shots (behind Ovechkin who shoots the puck way more). I thought maybe it's a weird year for him, but he had the same results last season.

Not sure if this has any significance or not, but you'd logically think hitting the net is better than not.

I think it is called picking corners vs the Craig Smith/Colin Wilson syndrome of always shooting into the goalies chest.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
on what you guys are talking about and forsberg...

he does miss the net a ton. i have three reasons in my mind for that;

1) as preds33 says, he tries to pick corners almost every shot.
2)shooting off the wrong foot driving down the left side as he does no doubt effects accuracy somewhat
3)the majoirty of his shots come at stepper angles than a guy like neal who tends to use playing on his 'off side' as a way to cut back toward center ice for shots way more often than forsberg does. this is something i would like to see more from forsberg, cutting back toward the slot to release his shot more often. which would do several things. one it creates more open space to shoot at. two, it means when he does miss the net, the shot hits the backboard and rebounds more back toward the crease instead of ringing hard around the boards as steep angle shots tend to do. that very thing has cost us several goals over the last three years, and several of our OT games. that tendency alone is one of the things that makes forsberg dangerous (to us) out in 3 on 3 play.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
it's actual been kind of relaxing not having to worry about hockey these past few days, but now i find myself recharged and anxious for the next game. and all new worries and disppointments lol.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
it's actual been kind of relaxing not having to worry about hockey these past few days, but now i find myself recharged and anxious for the next game. and all new worries and disppointments lol.

Yep- same here. Will be interesting to see how we look tomorrow. Last year several teams came out very flat after the break, us included.

We were red hot going into the break, but were shutout at home our first game after and wound up losing 4 of 5 and 5 of 7 overall.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I enjoy the breaks where no one is playing--don't have to worry about anyone advancing. I think the bye week or whatever they're calling it will be much less relaxing.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Thanks, JW. Just video conferenced with Logooooooon at one of his schools in Japan (he has 5--was on lunch break) and Jailbait and JB Jr came to see me earlier. It has been a good day. He has been showing his students the games via nhl.tv at school and they're becoming big fans, so if we start getting people from Imabari Ehime Japan on the boards we'll know who sent 'em.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
yeah, not exactly the team i would have wanted to play on the road coming back to try to maintain the recent hot streak, but hey, it's hockey, strange things happen every night. tonight scoring first would feel pretty big. maybe no malkin tonight?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
some strange statistical similarities and differences between this year after 49 games and last year after 49 games;

..rinne had 19 wins both years at this mark but with 4 less starts this year. last year though was 2.47, .906 versus this year's 2.39, .921.
..smith has same number of points as last year. 9g/7a versus 11g/5a last year. however has averaged a full shot per game less than last year (87 vs 134)
..several guys have almost exactly the same number of points now as the same point last year. forsberg (31 vs 32), wilson (16 vs 18) (in 4 less games), ribeiro (25 vs 29) (in 3 less games), neal (24 vs 30) (in 9 less games), ekholm (18 vs 21),

..neal is a -8 this year vs a team leading +15 last year.
..watson is a +11 vs a -8 last year
..josi has 12 less points this year vs last year at this time (in 7 less games)
..fisher has 18 more points in 7 more games this year than last
..arvidsson has 25 more points than last year (in 23 more games this year)

..irwin is a +16, while subban is a -10, a really strange looking spread.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Everyone can learn from Pittsburgh. They're playing Sheary on the top line and he's excelling. Maybe we can try the same with Salo or Watson?

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
yeah, not exactly the team i would have wanted to play on the road coming back to try to maintain the recent hot streak, but hey, it's hockey, strange things happen every night. tonight scoring first would feel pretty big. maybe no malkin tonight?

Malkin should be out since he pulled out of the all star game. I thought it was a league rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad