Observations XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Took < 2 months to fill the last version of this thread, about 625 views a day over that period. I wonder how quickly the page views will drop significantly without Steve's analysis. If this iteration of Observations will even fill by the playoffs.

Maybe should have renamed it Observations Lite.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Montreals Christmas tree looks like it was pruned by Shea Weber snapshots from the blue line.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think that's now 7 former Preds to retire since this summer. 5 of which have been on the roster in the past year.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
There is no viable defense for Pekka Rinne to continue to be the starter that I can think of.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
There is no viable defense for Pekka Rinne to continue to be the starter that I can think of.

You have to look at what he did in November. He is capable. The soft goals put the nail in the coffin but you can't win scoring zero goals. Our offense has to stop being jekyl and hyde and not score 5 goals 1 game and none the next. Consistency is this team's problem with Rinne and the offense.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
You have to look at what he did in November. He is capable. The soft goals put the nail in the coffin but you can't win scoring zero goals. Our offense has to stop being jekyl and hyde and not score 5 goals 1 game and none the next. Consistency is this team's problem with Rinne and the offense.

Exactly this. This team had zero business losing last night. They were playing against a washed up back up and let him shut them out. Outside of Arvidsson and Fiala, there was zero passion by these guys.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Exactly this. This team had zero business losing last night. They were playing against a washed up back up and let him shut them out. Outside of Arvidsson and Fiala, there was zero passion by these guys.

Not to be argumentative, and no argument that we should have been able to win that game, but Budaj hasn't been looking washed up lately- last 4 games:

at Pitt- shutout 39 saves
at Bos- 1 goal allowed on 30 shots
at Col- 2 goals allowed on 27 shots
at Nsh- shutout 28 saves

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Not to be argumentative, and no argument that we should have been able to win that game, but Budaj hasn't been looking washed up lately- last 4 games:

at Pitt- shutout 39 saves
at Bos- 1 goal allowed on 30 shots
at Col- 2 goals allowed on 27 shots
at Nsh- shutout 28 saves

I guess he is the Matt Irwin of the Goalie world. Barely cracked the NHL last year and then this year has played like he belongs. And after looking him up, I for some reason thought he was 3-4 years older than he is.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Oh, the overreaction on that one goal.

1st goal, Rinne had no chance.
2nd goal, well that's 100% on Rinne but it's one goal, it's not the end of the world. Other than that he played a fine game.
3rd goal, Carter with the best wrist shot in the world off the pipe.
4th goal, Setoguchi alone in front with all the time in the world.

Yes, the 2nd goal killed us and yes, it is on Rinne but it's one goal. We played well and I can't understand all these overreactions.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
They're not overreactions. None of those were quality goals, none. I really don't know how anyone can say they were. Not that it matters, because you have to score to win but that was a garbage performance from Rinne.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Oh, the overreaction on that one goal.

1st goal, Rinne had no chance.
2nd goal, well that's 100% on Rinne but it's one goal, it's not the end of the world. Other than that he played a fine game.
3rd goal, Carter with the best wrist shot in the world off the pipe.
4th goal, Setoguchi alone in front with all the time in the world.

Yes, the 2nd goal killed us and yes, it is on Rinne but it's one goal. We played well and I can't understand all these overreactions.

Different take. Pekka is overplaying everything. He ventures too far out to cut down angles, lunges toward the shooter, and therefore leaves the net wide open if the puck redirects. Count how many times goals go in on him to a virtual open net. It's as if he doesn't have enough confidence to "stay home" and make the save. There's a happy medium between playing to deep in your net and doing what Pekka does. The reason he makes you so nervous is because he's "too active".

Saros on the other hand achieves that happy medium. A Saros game is less stressful because he's a better technical goalie. He cuts down angles without selling out the net to a redirect. He's faster to the butterfly and a better director of rebounds. He's at a disadvantage with shots from the point in traffic because he takes up less of the net. Pekka stops shots he never see's because he fills more real estate.

Saros rarely gives up a softie. Pekka is softie prone. His November run was Pekka-at-his-best. Very few softie's. Battled. Got many shots. Played calmer. However October & December Pekka lacks confidence and therefore overplays everything to compensate.

I know Saros's book-of-business is 5 games but he was 40-10 in MKE. I deserves a chance to be at least 1b (i.e. split time with Peks) or #1 for a stretch to see if he can give us a longer dose of what we've been seeing. There's 7 million reasons why this won't happen. We can't have $7mm sitting on the bench, and Pekka hasn't been terrible enough to focus on him as the main reason for our inconsistency.

That said, regular Pred watches know Saros appears better and gives us a better chance of winning. If Pekka can be November Pekka going forward, we'll make the playoffs. My fear is, he'll be .908ish, 2.75 GAish, and therefore we only win with consistency if the offense is humming.

Next week, Saros will likely play against Chicago Friday, then Tampa the following Thursday. The next week we play 4 games with a day off between each. They would normally be all Pekka games but would like to see Saros play in one of them. The next week we have another back-to-back, so another Saros game for sure.

So, using my formula, over the next 13 games taking us to January 20th, Pekka plays 9 and Saros plays 4. For Lavy to make a change, Pekka would have to continue his December slide and Saros would have to continue to play sub-2.0 GA hockey.

Hate to see us miss the playoffs out of deference to Pekka. He's probably the most loved Pred in our history but fans will lose their patience if we go down with the Pekka-Ship.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
We can talk all we want about how good Saros has played, and he deserves the accolades. But he still has a losing record, because the offense has been so incredibly inconsistent. He has gotten terrible goal support in several games.

I'm not happy with how Rinne has played the last few weeks either. But I think the rest of the team is the bigger problem right now. They still haven't found an identity. Lines are being juggled every conceivable way searching for that elusive chemistry. The defensive pairings haven't fully clicked. Defensive zone breakdowns have been disgustingly common, with about an equal mix of the blame to spread between the forwards and the defense.

Until some of those issues are ironed out, sure, it would be nice if the old Pekka would show up and carry the team a while. But even if he did, this isn't a team that will go far the way they're playing now.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
They're not overreactions. None of those were quality goals, none. I really don't know how anyone can say they were. Not that it matters, because you have to score to win but that was a garbage performance from Rinne.

None? Are you saying they were all bad goals allowed by Rinne?

The first one was a complete fluke- was no one's fault.

And the last one absolutely wasn't Rinne's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad