Observations V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm actually glad we have MTL, TB and WSH coming up. Worst case scenario, we suck and just keep complaining like we have been for a month and keep talking about the inevitable first round exit. Best case scenario we come out and play some good games, get some breaks, Pekka plays to his abilities and then we've got a new sense of confidence heading into April and the final 4 or 6 at home.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
At this point I think the playoffs just depends on what team shows up. If this team can get their mojo back I'll feel good about their chances against anyone. If not, well, I won't. Either way, I'm trying to focus on being happy to see some playoff hockey for the first time in a few years. Hopefully whatever happens, this season is used as a building block and the team keeps improving next year. This was a solid step forward after a couple of years of stumbling. I'm trying to be positive about that. Mostly because being positive is more fun and lets me sleep better than the alternative.

Basically the way I feel- just look at the projected playoff matchups. I posted earlier about it but the playoffs are going to be insane- every matchup in the 1st round is going to be an absolute war- basically only about 10-12 points separating the 1st seed and 8 seed in the Western Conference. Winnipeg and Minnesota are probably going to be the wildcards and I would not look forward to playing either one, especially Minnesota.

At the very least I just hope we can hold on to home ice- get back to playing well the final 9 games and take our chances regardless of who we draw.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Obviously, I wanted the Pres cup and everything that goes with it; today, I want Chicago, but we gotta' have home ice. I don't like us with the 2-7 and MN, and I don't think we catch Anaheim, no matter how bad they looked against NY yesterday.

I'm not sure I'd call it "favorable", but I do think it's winnable.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
here's best guess where i think the top teams and our conference wind up points wise looking at their schedules and how they've been playing (remaining record guess in paranthesis);

NYR 113 (7-4)
MON 111 (6-3)
TB 109 (6-3)

ANA 110 (5-2-1)
STL 109 (6-3)
CHI 106 (7-4)
MIN 101 (7-3)
VAN 100 (6-4)
WPG 98 (6-4)
CGY 98 (6-2-2)
LAK 96 (7-4)

which would mean we would have to go;
9-0, (114 pts), to win the Presidents cup (NY would own the 113 tiebreaker)
7-2, (110 pts), to win the Conference (we would own first tiebreaker over ANA)
6-2-1 (109 pts), to win the division (we would own the first tiebreaker over STL)
5-4, (106 pts), to finish 2nd and have home ice over CHI (we would own first tiebreaker)
3-6 (102 pts), to finish ahead 4th of MIN (MIN would own the tiebreaker at 101)
2-6-1 (101 pts), to finish ahead of VAN and avoid STL (VAN would own tiebreaker at 100)
1-7-1, (99 pts), to finish 6th ahead of WPG and CGY
1-8, (98 pts) to make the playoffs.

obviously, some teams will play better that this, others will play worse, but this is mentally what i figure it would take. no team has ever had over 96 pts and not made the playoffs.

it shows what's at play and stake here. play as well as we did the first few months and a 7-2 or 6-2-1 to win the conference or division is certainly still possible. it probably takes a 5-4 to keep home ice the first round for us. anything worse than a 4-5 and it's potentially a disaster.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
here's best guess where i think the top teams and our conference wind up points wise looking at their schedules and how they've been playing (remaining record guess in paranthesis);

NYR 113 (7-4)
MON 111 (6-3)
TB 109 (6-3)

ANA 110 (5-2-1)
STL 109 (6-3)
CHI 106 (7-4)
MIN 101 (7-3)
VAN 100 (6-4)
WPG 98 (6-4)
CGY 98 (6-2-2)
LAK 96 (7-4)

which would mean we would have to go;
9-0, (114 pts), to win the Presidents cup (NY would own the 113 tiebreaker)
7-2, (110 pts), to win the Conference (we would own first tiebreaker over ANA)
6-2-1 (109 pts), to win the division (we would own the first tiebreaker over STL)
5-4, (106 pts), to finish 2nd and have home ice over CHI (we would own first tiebreaker)
3-6 (102 pts), to finish ahead 4th of MIN (MIN would own the tiebreaker at 101)
2-6-1 (101 pts), to finish ahead of VAN and avoid STL (VAN would own tiebreaker at 100)
1-7-1, (99 pts), to finish 6th ahead of WPG and CGY
1-8, (98 pts) to make the playoffs.

obviously, some teams will play better that this, others will play worse, but this is mentally what i figure it would take. no team has ever had over 96 pts and not made the playoffs.

it shows what's at play and stake here. play as well as we did the first few months and a 7-2 or 6-2-1 to win the conference or division is certainly still possible. it probably takes a 5-4 to keep home ice the first round for us. anything worse than a 4-5 and it's potentially a disaster.

Good post- looking at our schedule I am predicting (hoping?) we win 6 of the final 9 games. If your scenario happens, if we can get a loser point in just one of the losses, then we will win the division. I will gladly take that!

On another note, it is going to be very interesting to see what happens with LA. You predict 7-4- they are really going to have to turn it on to do that- their schedule is brutal- 8 of their remaining 11 games are on the road, and they play 4 in a row at NYR, NYI, MIN, and CHI starting tomorrow. If they lose at NJ tonight they are in big, big trouble.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Good post- looking at our schedule I am predicting (hoping?) we win 6 of the final 9 games. If your scenario happens, if we can get a loser point in just one of the losses, then we will win the division. I will gladly take that!

On another note, it is going to be very interesting to see what happens with LA. You predict 7-4- they are really going to have to turn it on to do that- their schedule is brutal- 8 of their remaining 11 games are on the road, and they play 4 in a row at NYR, NYI, MIN, and CHI starting tomorrow. If they lose at NJ tonight they are in big, big trouble.

I appreciate your sunny disposition, but we haven't beaten a playoff team, unless you count LA, who was OUT after the loss, in a month and a half.

Winning 6 of the last 9 seems a little ambitious.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I appreciate your sunny disposition, but we haven't beaten a playoff team, unless you count LA, who was OUT after the loss, in a month and a half.

Winning 6 of the last 9 seems a little ambitious.

Believe me, after the past month my disposition is anything but sunny.

It's more wishful thinking than anything I guess-

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
considering 6 of the remaining 9 games are against teams currently in playoff position... and our 7 game losing string to teams in playoff position... well one can hope

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
One better hope unless you've already given up entirely on playoff success. Winning 6 out of 9 against teams in the playoffs is something you better be able to do if you hope to then win 4 out of 7 against a team in be actual playoffs.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I'm feeling good about tonight for some reason. Partly because I have good seats tonight (http://www.seats3d.com/nhl/nashville_predators/#/p_102_6/) and partly because my back is better after almost falling on the ice during the ice storm that aggravated my sciatic nerve. The team has gone into the tank since I hurt my back so the karma around my injury must be to blame! I'm better which should mean the team is all better!! I'm sorry for the distress I've caused! :)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I'm feeling good about tonight for some reason. Partly because I have good seats tonight (http://www.seats3d.com/nhl/nashville_predators/#/p_102_6/) and partly because my back is better after almost falling on the ice during the ice storm that aggravated my sciatic nerve. The team has gone into the tank since I hurt my back so the karma around my injury must be to blame! I'm better which should mean the team is all better!! I'm sorry for the distress I've caused! :)

There is that mojo to consider, but the more proven "Rinne changed his mask" mojo is too much to overcome.

Does this guy ever learn? He needs to go Arturs Irbe and stick to what works. Who ever met a non-superstitious goaltender?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Rinne also got new pads.

Now Calle has cut his hair. Do these guys need us to explain EVERYTHING???

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
in the last 12 games we only have these guys as positive plus/minus;

Cullen +5
Stalberg +3
Franson +2
Bartley +2
Smith +1

or basically people's favorite whipping boys.

meanwhile some fan favs;
Forsberg -7
Weber -7
Jones -5
Ribs -6
Neal -6
Wilson -3
Fish -3
Josi -4

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
9 games left, boys. (I think - I didn't count that up myself.) Nine. As in, fewer than ten. Single digits.

This is the pre-playoff tune-up. Forget everything. Forget the slump. Forget trophies. Forget banners. Focus.

Focus.

One game at a time. You need intensity. You need passion. You need commitment. You need intelligent decisions on the ice. You need to ramp up your physical game and start sending a message to the rest of the league that this past month was the fluke, not the rest of the season.

Focus. Desire. Passion. Commitment.

Bring your A-game. Tonight you face one of the other premier teams from this season. It's time to put the rest of the league on notice. It's time to send a message. What that message says is up to you. Will it say you should be feared, or dismissed? Will it say you are ramping up for a playoff run, or dwindling into an early exit?

You write your own history, and it starts right now.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
9 games left, boys. (I think - I didn't count that up myself.) Nine. As in, fewer than ten. Single digits.

This is the pre-playoff tune-up. Forget everything. Forget the slump. Forget trophies. Forget banners. Focus.

Focus.

One game at a time. You need intensity. You need passion. You need commitment. You need intelligent decisions on the ice. You need to ramp up your physical game and start sending a message to the rest of the league that this past month was the fluke, not the rest of the season.

Focus. Desire. Passion. Commitment.

Bring your A-game. Tonight you face one of the other premier teams from this season. It's time to put the rest of the league on notice. It's time to send a message. What that message says is up to you. Will it say you should be feared, or dismissed? Will it say you are ramping up for a playoff run, or dwindling into an early exit?

You write your own history, and it starts right now.

LAVY IN LOCKER ROOM B4 GAME TONIGHT: You think you can win on talent alone? Gentlemen, YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TALENT TO WIN ON TALENT ALONE! Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Canadians have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
wtf?? stalberg, Cullen, Wilson.. are you kidding me? well welcome to the big leagues kid. shouldn't be too hard to just pretend you're still with the admirals.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
When we picked up Santorelli they said he wasn't the same as when he first played for us. They were right, he is worse. I have watched two rookies with 1 game and 2 games of experience that both deserve to be on the roster over him.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
When we picked up Santorelli they said he wasn't the same as when he first played for us. They were right, he is worse. I have watched two rookies with 1 game and 2 games of experience that both deserve to be on the roster over him.

speaks to how bad Toronto was that he and Franson stood out up there....

Im hating the trade ... hoping eventually something happens to make me change my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland