Observations V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
A little perspective on the "we should've destroyed the worst team in the league", we still suck. Sabre's GA 3.3 for the year with a couple wins over MTL, TBL, etc. PROFESSIONAL Hockey players in the toughest league in the world. If you can't appreciate last nights win for what it truly is...maybe you need to switch teams... I'm sure CHI would take some more Band wagoners.:laugh::p:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Franson made that ******* play twice last night! I was friggin livid. That's some straight up Toronto "I am a better player than you so watch this" ******** right there. I didn't like Jones last night. I hopen it is just because he is playing his weak side.

I have no problem with Jones. He's a second year player playing his off side. He has his moments where he makes a boneheaded play. Suter, Klein, Hamhuis, Weber all did the same things he's doing that drive people crazy. He's a twenty year old kid playing in the NHL. He's still better than anyone we've had come through our system at his age and that says a lot. Josi is probably the one that is in the same league with him when it comes to development at a certain age.

He will progress. He will get better as he learns to do less to be more effective. While he does make that stupid gaffe, he will also usually make a standout defensive play or two that gets overshadowed by his mistake. Difference between him and Franson is that CF doesn't make any standout plays unless you listen to Grimson. There was a time on the broadcast last night that Franson is in front of the net guarding someone and a shot comes from the point and it hits Franson. Stu goes on to say that puck was blocked in front and what a great play Franson made. I'm like, what the ******* are you talking about, he was in front of Rinne and the puck hit him, that is not great, that's just being in a place at the right time, because he certainly wasn't in the right place, he was screening Rinne.

Grimson's analysis or lack thereof is really wearing on me. Analyze what happens and let me decide if it was a great play or not. Not every thing we do on the ice is great. Not even good. Do your job, analyze, don't editorialize it for the fans. If a guy screws up, tell us. If a guy does the right thing, tell us. And stop saying activate and grade A chance. UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
At least some of the other lines decided to step up and play as units last night.

Luckily the Sabres couldn't connect the 2on1 passes or collect a rebound and finish on the numerous chances they had. Pekka made the saves he had to but there was a lot of puck luck going our way last night in the form of whiffs, pulled Sabre shot attempts, and Beck's deflection on the PP goal (listening to Housely at intermission made me laugh ... Beck's actions went nothing like how he described the play).

We beat the worst team in the league and still had difficulty finishing against their winless backup goalie who saved over 93% of the shots he faced. When we start beating playoff quality competition, things start looking better.

Tuesday is the start of a huge test for our Preds. It's been 5 1/2 weeks since we beat a team in playoff position ... the Blues and Hawks remain in position to tie or pass us in the standings if they capitalize on their games in hand ... and the next five games are against teams currently in playoff position.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I have no problem with Jones. He's a second year player playing his off side. He has his moments where he makes a boneheaded play. Suter, Klein, Hamhuis, Weber all did the same things he's doing that drive people crazy. He's a twenty year old kid playing in the NHL. He's still better than anyone we've had come through our system at his age and that says a lot. Josi is probably the one that is in the same league with him when it comes to development at a certain age.

He will progress. He will get better as he learns to do less to be more effective. While he does make that stupid gaffe, he will also usually make a standout defensive play or two that gets overshadowed by his mistake. Difference between him and Franson is that CF doesn't make any standout plays unless you listen to Grimson. There was a time on the broadcast last night that Franson is in front of the net guarding someone and a shot comes from the point and it hits Franson. Stu goes on to say that puck was blocked in front and what a great play Franson made. I'm like, what the ******* are you talking about, he was in front of Rinne and the puck hit him, that is not great, that's just being in a place at the right time, because he certainly wasn't in the right place, he was screening Rinne.

Grimson's analysis or lack thereof is really wearing on me. Analyze what happens and let me decide if it was a great play or not. Not every thing we do on the ice is great. Not even good. Do your job, analyze, don't editorialize it for the fans. If a guy screws up, tell us. If a guy does the right thing, tell us. And stop saying activate and grade A chance. UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Only thing missing in the spelling of STUs name is the F.

I really do hope Jones catches on. If he does, he will be a hell of a trade asset next year. Because I'd he does get as good as we think he should be, he simply won't be able to stomach being the 2nd in line.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
both Jarnkok and Jones take too long on their shots. allows time for sticks to get in and deflect Jarnkrok shot and Jones to be blocked far too often.

overall we played a good defensive game but we allowed far too many odd man rushes to a poor team last night honestly. 3 breakaways. two 2 on 1's. those were defensive gaffs from our d-men. a better team makes us pay for those. I think all 3 of the breakaways were with Jones-Franson on ice. once with Jones pinching and getting caught up ice, once with Franson trying to catch a puck and putting it right on their stick, and one more where I can't recall who screwed the pooch. Franson got beat off the edge once and that pass thru the center, Jones with three weak turnovers in the defensive zone on a giveaway, a fumble and a blind weak backhand pass.

where we did do a good job was the forwards didn't turn the puck over in the neutral zone and gap control at our our blueline and generally clearing the puck when needed.

we are at that difficult point with our fanbase where both the optomists and pessimists get mad at the other no matter what the other says because of this horrible stretch of hockey. both have valid points and concerns. both sides need to be less defensive, because neither is completely right.

this was a huge win. IF we can win against MON. if not, well it wasn't. time will tell all things.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Peterson ripped both Franson and Jones last night...but nor for passes. Cited the 4 breakaways guys goy going in between them. Made mention of how alot of it was Jones playing the left side and mentioned how hard it is to switch like that.

I don't know about you guys, but Peterson, while hard to listen to is a smart, smart hockey man. I'd take what he says about that into consideration.

Re: Franson's passes, I remember them, but I also like to think about what happens when those things connect. we aren't complaining about it then when the red light goes off 200 feet away.

We did what we needed to do last night. The Power Play took a wile to get going :) PK was good, 2 ES goals, mostly good on the back end, Pekka got some good work in, new kid looked good. Just have to get 63 and 9 going.

I feel dirty, but go Wings

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
both Jarnkok and Jones take too long on their shots. allows time for sticks to get in and deflect Jarnkrok shot and Jones to be blocked far too often.

overall we played a good defensive game but we allowed far too many odd man rushes to a poor team last night honestly. 3 breakaways. two 2 on 1's. those were defensive gaffs from our d-men. a better team makes us pay for those. I think all 3 of the breakaways were with Jones-Franson on ice. once with Jones pinching and getting caught up ice, once with Franson trying to catch a puck and putting it right on their stick, and one more where I can't recall who screwed the pooch. Franson got beat off the edge once and that pass thru the center, Jones with three weak turnovers in the defensive zone on a giveaway, a fumble and a blind weak backhand pass.

where we did do a good job was the forwards didn't turn the puck over in the neutral zone and gap control at our our blueline and generally clearing the puck when needed.

we are at that difficult point with our fanbase where both the optomists and pessimists get mad at the other no matter what the other says because of this horrible stretch of hockey. both have valid points and concerns. both sides need to be less defensive, because neither is completely right.

this was a huge win. IF we can win against MON. if not, well it wasn't. time will tell all things.

Agreed. The constant jumping down others' throats makes it hard to even visit this place sometimes, but I'm the guy supervising it so I have to stop in :laugh:

I don't care if Buffalo was so bad they hadn't even won a game yet. Last night's win was fun, and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it for today. When we face Montreal I'll worry again, but for now we are sitting here the day after a Preds win and that's all right with me.

Franson's passing from behind the net is something I remember he did when he was here. At the time I, and several others, wrote it off as a young, third pairing defender making a rookie mistake. He has no excuse for that kind of play anymore. He's been in the league entirely too long to think "OK yeah I can dish this out into the slot in front of Rinne even though they have forecheckers closing in." Just idiotic hockey...

I love Smith and his intensity right now, but he has to be more careful. He could really hurt someone with his stick being so reckless.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
A little perspective on the "we should've destroyed the worst team in the league", we still suck. Sabre's GA 3.3 for the year with a couple wins over MTL, TBL, etc. PROFESSIONAL Hockey players in the toughest league in the world. If you can't appreciate last nights win for what it truly is...maybe you need to switch teams... I'm sure CHI would take some more Band wagoners.:laugh::p:

Exactly- I was going to respond to the "that game was underwhelming" crowd in much the same way.

Buffalo is a bad hockey team, no arguments there- but they have beaten many elite teams this year and just won in Boston. And they hang tough with teams a lot more than they get destroyed.

We didn't play a perfect game, but that was complete domination- if you are "underwhelmed" by that game I don't know what to tell you....

Hockeyfever

Jan 5, 2012
Was thinking about a top ten list of good things about the upcoming off season, number 1 was no Stu for a few months.

I agree with you guys. I had often thought about how I don't like the game comments from Stu. I was wondering if I was just being too critical but nice to see others of the same opinion.:nod:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Good. He won't have repeat offender status, but this fine will be looked at if he does anything else stupid like that. Maybe it'll make him think twice.

I love Smith's hustle, but he has to be smart enough to not put others at risk of serious injury.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
now time will tell us where we really stand. 5 consecutive games against playoff bound teams. and we haven't beaten a single top 16 team since WPG Feb 12th, 6 weeks ago.

we are 16-15-6 against teams currently in playoff positions, and 28-6-2 against the bottom 14 teams.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
now time will tell us where we really stand. 5 consecutive games against playoff bound teams. and we haven't beaten a single top 16 team since WPG Feb 12th, 6 weeks ago.

Agreed, and with the extended break the team just had (minus the Buffalo game), exhaustion can't be an excuse. Bring it!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I know this isnt the negativity thread, but I'll be surprised of we win more than one of these 5 games... and shocked if we get more than 4 points..

that said, if we go 3-1-1 or better, I might actually start to believe again...

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

we are 16-15-6 against teams currently in playoff positions, and 28-6-2 against the bottom 14 teams.

To me, the next 3 are the key- Montreal, at TB, at Wash. If we can survive that, somehow win 2 of them, then we could be in good shape.

After that 4 of the last 6 are at home and only 3 of the 6 against playoff teams- all are winnable games.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
for the life of me, i cann't figure out a first round matchup that is really favorable to us at this point. not one i feel good about anyway. i suppose MIN, but here they've handed us our hat the last two times, at home no less. CHI? who really ever wants to draw CHI in the first round? CHI with them having home ice? no thanks.

oh well, one can just close his eyes and hope.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
At this point I think the playoffs just depends on what team shows up. If this team can get their mojo back I'll feel good about their chances against anyone. If not, well, I won't. Either way, I'm trying to focus on being happy to see some playoff hockey for the first time in a few years. Hopefully whatever happens, this season is used as a building block and the team keeps improving next year. This was a solid step forward after a couple of years of stumbling. I'm trying to be positive about that. Mostly because being positive is more fun and lets me sleep better than the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad