Observations, Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
But we traded our bad possession player for a strong possession player...

I was waiting for that, but while Subban is a little behind his average for possession-driving events, Josi is far below, and virtually every forward is abysmal.

The simplistic, "what's different" answer is Weber/Subban, but the numbers and simply watching say something else is up. Throwing all the empirical/subjective stuff out the window, everyone looks like they are completely out of sync. Cats eluding herding.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
As we head into the fifth game of the season this team sits atop 5on4 scoring in the league ... and at the bottom of 5on5 scoring. Outscored 10 to 2 at ES is not how I wanted to see us start the season. Part is due to the system ... we've seen overall team defense issues for a while. Part is due to the rough early part of Maz's game.

We are 1-0-0 when I'm in the building ... something that isn't happening again this season.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
one of the most fascinating things about hockey is how unpredictable it is from night to night. another perfect example. I actually didn't think we played all that well. but we played hard. a few thoughts about this one;

..small guy night. fiala. arvidsson. saros.
..nothing more encouraging for the future than saros' performance.
..thought he looked a little busy in net in the first, but the kid is quick as lightning. of course he has to be considering how small he is.
..we really needed to see fiala break thru. he needed it too.
..can't believe how many 2 on 1's PIT gave us.
..Forsberg with 2 assists but still didn't play well overall. he's really forcing it right now, as goal scorers not scoring goals tend to do. we badly need for 1 or 2 of his to go in soon.
..the problem with Forsberg right now is he trying to generate everything himself and he's not getting the puck in high danger places. he needs to get to the slot and someone get him shots.

..liked the swapping of josi and ekholm overall.
..horrible play to start this one off with subban getting caught up ice and ekholm making a poorly timed step up.
..but after that, ekholm made several really good plays. especially clearing away rebounds.
..our d-men are still turning the puck over in our zone too many times.
..good to see weber and carle have at least one decent game.

..the pp play. lol. doesn't seem to matter who is out there right now.
..of course after that first sort of fluky one, the pp struggled to get set up the next 3 times.

..maybe arvidsson is the guy who steps up this year. love the kids work ethic and hustle and raw speed.
..poor Watson. lol. 3 times he was the off wing guy on 2 on 1's and we take and make the shot. he also got robbed early on that steal and break in.

..josi just hasn't found that offensive niche yet.
..I didn't miss bass.
..5 games in and no goals from Forsberg, Neal or Johansen. No wonder we are 2-3.
..young legs and all these call ups made this a non-typical game of a back-to-back. we had looked fresher than they did.

..really glad for fiala, and those were big goals, but saros was the real first star last night to me.
..again, we did an excellent job of clearing rebounds left in front.
..Ribeiro is maddening oftentimes with the passes that get intercepted, but usually at least once a game he makes that one near impossible pass to set someone up.
..great swat out of the air on that one by arvidsson. pure speed.
..we stunk in the faceoff circle but it didn't bite us.

a needed win. a surprising win, but one really needed to stop the bleeding.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
one of the most fascinating things about hockey is how unpredictable it is from night to night. another perfect example. I actually didn't think we played all that well.
LOL This is the most hfboards comment ever. :laugh::shakehead

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Not sure what you think is so wrong with that. If you are a fan of any sport and have enough understanding to be able to pay attention to more than just the scoreboard, you will notice plenty of examples of the final score not being very reflective of the actual play that occurred.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.

think what you want.

..we had 4 defenseman giveaways in our own defensive zone leading directly to great scoring chances
..we gave up 4 odd man rushes or breakaways
..we allowed 35 shots on net, 4th straight game allowing more than 35 shots
..we got hammered in the faceoff dot 61% to 39%
..we were outhit officially 26-6.

It was a great result and a fine effort and saros greatly outplayed fleury and their defense played terribad, but no, I don't think we played that great of a game.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

think what you want.

..we had 4 defenseman giveaways in our own defensive zone leading directly to great scoring chances
..we gave up 4 odd man rushes or breakaways
..we allowed 35 shots on net, 4th straight game allowing more than 35 shots
..we got hammered in the faceoff dot 61% to 39%
..we were outhit officially 26-6.

It was a great result and a fine effort and saros greatly outplayed fleury and their defense played terribad, but no, I don't think we played that great of a game.

I certainly didn't think that was an overall great game either. But as we all know, things even out over the course of a season. I thought we were the better team last Saturday at Chicago and ended up losing and last night I don't know if we would win with that effort on most nights. I'll certainly take it though.

Also I thought it was huge for Saros to pull himself through giving up a goal in the first minute. Even if it was because of a defensive breakdown.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

No. THIS is the most HF Boards comment ever. Disagreeing with something by positing that it is just typical HF Boards mentality, in a dismissive way, ans without actually giving reasons for the disagreement is all the rage around here.

As was pointed out, Forsberg had a pretty brutal game despite his two points. We still have defensive lapses leading to turnovers and scoring chances. We didn't have any physicality to our game. We got dominated in the face off circle. We allowed entirely too many shots on net again.

Luckily we had more puck luck and a monster goalie on our side. It doesn't have to be pretty just because it was a blowout.

Last edited:

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Anyone else excited about the future with Fiala and Forsberg skating together? Have we had that much high end offensive skill on the ice since Kariya and Sully? When the puck is on their stick in the offensive zone, you just expect something good to happen.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If Fiala can turn it on and be good for 20-25 goals and 50-60 points then suddenly we have a pretty legit top six. 2nd C is still an issue, but I think we have enough tape and glue to make it work for this season. In the event Fiala cements himself as a worthy top six winger we have two pretty damn good goal scorers on our second line. I'm a bit more excited for Aardvark, though. Having a reliable weapon on the third line would be huge, and if Wilson can find some damn consistency it gets even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad