Observations, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Come on DRW, he should've supplanted Josi and Weber as the best defenseman in the league. He should've been more physical. He should've put up 100 points. He should never have been scored on while he was on the ice. He should've killed penalties for the entire two minutes. He should've scored in shootouts with his eyes blindfolded. He should've been Orr, Gretzky and Howe all rolled in to one.

Oh wait, did I shoot too high on his expectations? :D

Did you even read what I wrote? I plainly stated it wasn't fair to Seth the way we as a fan base had reacted to being "stuck" with him, but that doesn't change the fact this was the one team in the entire NHL where he was going to have no chance to develop into a top pair defenseman in the first 5 years of his career. The way this worked out was probably the best possible outcome for Seth. He was here long enough to learn from Weber and Josi, then before he could get frustrated at the lack of top pair ice time, he gets traded to a team that needs a top pair dman.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Listen to the wise woman.

(And can you believe she didn't know anything about hockey two decades ago?)

I knew I liked the hitting part. Still do. I always LIKED hockey, just didn't feel compelled to learn the intricacies of standings and such, since I saw it maybe 2 times a year. :laugh:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Did you even read what I wrote? I plainly stated it wasn't fair to Seth the way we as a fan base had reacted to being "stuck" with him, but that doesn't change the fact this was the one team in the entire NHL where he was going to have no chance to develop into a top pair defenseman in the first 5 years of his career. The way this worked out was probably the best possible outcome for Seth. He was here long enough to learn from Weber and Josi, then before he could get frustrated at the lack of top pair ice time, he gets traded to a team that needs a top pair dman.

I did read what you wrote. I was being overly obnoxious, using hyperbole and sarcasm to the utmost of their abilities. I went way over the top. I had already responded to what you wrote in a nice concise reply. :)

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I did read what you wrote. I was being overly obnoxious, using hyperbole and sarcasm to the utmost of their abilities. I went way over the top. I had already responded to what you wrote in a nice concise reply. :)

You realize with you its sometimes hard to tell :D

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Welp looks like Jones got a nice little tribute video. And a standing ovation? B-but I thought he was terrible and bad and awful right Hfboards? :laugh:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Welp looks like Jones got a nice little tribute video. And a standing ovation? B-but I thought he was terrible and bad and awful right Hfboards? :laugh:

where did anyone ever say that???

thats twice you've said something that is complete fiction.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think we have strayed far enough from the point of this thread and into the topic of the still-active Jones/Johansen trade thread. Let's get back on track.

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Anyone else notice how much better we look without Gaustad?

Yup and would just assume we keep Nystrom out of the line up as well, but with Salo and Sissons on that line I'm not sure there is much difference. At least we know Nystrom can occasionally put one in the net.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Post CBJ stat of the game .... cue the music Seton ...

"The Blue Jackets have now played 41 games in this building (Bridgestone Arena) – the equivalent of a half-season – and have won in regulation only five times. Try to get your heads around that." -- Aaron Portzline

Here's the link to his story: http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/03/g75-totally-overwhelmed.html

I miss them in our division .... #hatethefreakingJackets

With a stat like that, why the hate? Should be love.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
it's been fun chasing the Hawks for 3rd. but the reality of the remaining schedule now really hits hard. a head to head comparison of schedules for both of our remaining 7 games;

NSH... COL, @DAL, @PIT, SJS, COL, ARZ, @DAL
CHI.... @VAN, @MIN, @WPG, BOS, ARZ, STL, @CLB

we have 4 home/3 road to their 3 home/4 road. we play 6 teams that are still in the playoff picture, while they only play 3. and our 3 road games are against DAL twice, who is playing for the western conference crown and a red hot PIT team still playing for seeding. we have one 'absolutely should win' game remaining, while they have 4. Then we have the extra burden of no way possible having as many ROW as they do (42-35 right now), which of course means we have to not just tie them but outpoint them to pass them.

Stranger things have happened of course. Like for the Hawks to lose two or three of the four games against VAN, ARZ, CLB, WPG. or just flat out collapse. But the odds are very long against us finishing ahead of them. Very long.

That of course changes nothing. At this point we just want to be playing the same red hot hockey we've been playing for 2 months when the final horn sounds on that last regular season game. Then you just tighten your chin strap and buckle up your skates and battle whoever you battle. Mentally we have the mental advantage of knowing our last game against each of these teams; we stomped STL 5-0, crushed SJS 6-2, spanked LAK 5-2, beat up DAL 5-3, handled CHI in their barn 3-1, and have gone 1-1 with ANA.

Right now I am afraid of facing no other team. It's far more about how we play, than who we face. We can beat any team as long as we play our best hockey.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Good stuff, 303. I liked what Johansen said in his much-discussed (well, between our board and the Columbus board anyway) interview. His remark about how the feeling in the room is that the guys are confident in their ability, and they are hungry. They know they haven't been over that hurdle that is the second round.

Now, that isn't to say they haven't been hungry in years past, only to fail to get into the conference finals, but, knowing the guys in the room are hungry for some winning postseason hockey, one can always hold out hope that this is the year it all comes together.

As a long time Preds fan, I got kind of used to good teams falling apart at the end of the season. Maybe it's just the disappointments back in 2006/2007 plus the disappointing loss to Chicago in 2010 and then last year's debacle post-ASG. Still, I've been finding myself a bit aloof to just how good this team has been. Part of it is simply missing several games due to various reasons, but I think the other part is I'm just not used to having a team which is clicking so well this late in the season.

Cautious optimism is always the best route, if the most difficult, but I think this year we have a good reason to be a bit more optimistic and a bit less cautious about it.

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
With a stat like that, why the hate? Should be love.

Let's just call it what it really is .... a love / hate relationship. Love to play them, but freaking hate the team. Many years in the division along with my general (sports) hatred of all things Columbus (read: ohio state suckeyes) is where that comes from ... lol

As a post-game observation ... and apologies to Steve in advance for another Jones comment:

Just watching the replay on my DVR ... goal number 3 for Nashville came off a direct giveaway by Jones. He had full possession at the half wall, couldn't get it out of the zone, turnover to Smith ... pass to Ribiero, to Josi ... whose shot was blocked. Weber with the rebound and shot, deflected directly to Smith, who pounds it into the empty net.

Another case of a d-man with possession failing to clear the zone when the opportunity is there ... and the puck ends up in the back of the net.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'd like to turn this conversation to a positive observation.

Mattias Ekholm!

The minutes he's eating up. His point totals. His size and knowing how to use it along with a nastiness around the net.

I know Preds fans talk about him and know who he is but I have a feeling that the rest of the league gonna learn come playoff time.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
it's been fun chasing the Hawks for 3rd. but the reality of the remaining schedule now really hits hard. a head to head comparison of schedules for both of our remaining 7 games;

NSH... COL, @DAL, @PIT, SJS, COL, ARZ, @DAL
CHI.... @VAN, @MIN, @WPG, BOS, ARZ, STL, @CLB

we have 4 home/3 road to their 3 home/4 road. we play 6 teams that are still in the playoff picture, while they only play 3. and our 3 road games are against DAL twice, who is playing for the western conference crown and a red hot PIT team still playing for seeding. we have one 'absolutely should win' game remaining, while they have 4. Then we have the extra burden of no way possible having as many ROW as they do (42-35 right now), which of course means we have to not just tie them but outpoint them to pass them.

Stranger things have happened of course. Like for the Hawks to lose two or three of the four games against VAN, ARZ, CLB, WPG. or just flat out collapse. But the odds are very long against us finishing ahead of them. Very long.

That of course changes nothing. At this point we just want to be playing the same red hot hockey we've been playing for 2 months when the final horn sounds on that last regular season game. Then you just tighten your chin strap and buckle up your skates and battle whoever you battle. Mentally we have the mental advantage of knowing our last game against each of these teams; we stomped STL 5-0, crushed SJS 6-2, spanked LAK 5-2, beat up DAL 5-3, handled CHI in their barn 3-1, and have gone 1-1 with ANA.

Right now I am afraid of facing no other team. It's far more about how we play, than who we face. We can beat any team as long as we play our best hockey.

I agree that its probably doubtful that we catch Chicago.

But with the way Colorado is playing right now and the fact that they may be missing Mackinnon and Duchene, you can almost put the Avs into the "should win" category, which makes our schedule look not quite as difficult as it did a week ago. And San Jose is slumping pretty bad right now, too.

I guess I should stop thinking about it but it still stings to think where we would be if we were just .500 in OT- oh well.....

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You might scream that this may belong in the Vesey thread. Humor me. You've been doing it for a decade.

This team has 2 30 goal scorers, 6! 50 OT scorers, and 2 20 goal scorers atop that. Why do the PREDS need a prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad