Observations, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
giphy.gif

I don't think we help the Canucks continue their scoreless drought tonight, but I am hoping we can get on top of them early and at least make them feel pain. I don't want to win, I want to take them behind the woodshed.

They beat us good last time we played them earlier this month. Our defensemen need to be ready to jump in to the offense in case our forwards aren't able to get it going early.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Just for spits-n-giggles, lets assume we get Vesey next week.

Look how we've all-of-a-sudden got High 1st Round Forward talent while only having one real shot at it (4th pick 3 years ago when we drafted Jones).

In Forsberg (21), Joey (23), and Vesey, we'll have had the equivalent of 3 Top 10 picks. Fiala could be a 4th but he was not a Top 10 pick.

The Jones trade was a creative way to snag a #1 Center with effectively the 4th pick in that draft. In Forsberg and Joey, we have Top 10 picks who've already proven to be high-end, all-star Top Six forwards. Vesey would have gone Top 10 in the upcoming draft if he were draft eligible.

One of our historical curses has been our failure to suck enough to get a high draft pick. We've never got a #1. Legs was #2. Jones-turned-into-Joey was a #4. Next best was 6th.

Quite a feat DP has pulled off. Safe to say, we have never been deeper at the forward position.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Been away from computer but wanted to join in about the Kings game, my first of the year. Got to move down 2 rows at beginning of second to the seat nearest Quick where I sat the rest of the game. That was possibly the best game I've ever seen live in my life from the best seat I've ever had the opportunity to use. You STH's are very lucky to live close enough to attend regularly.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
More on the game tomorrow, but what a gut check win from the Preds.

And what a difference an hour or so makes. At one point tonight we were down 2-0 late in the third period and the Avs were winning against Philly.

But we won and the Avs lose in regulation. Not that we were ever in any real danger, but we have all but clinched a playoff spot. 9 point lead over the Avs with 8 games left. If we go 3-5, they have to go 7-0-1 to just tie us.

If my math is correct, if we win Saturday and the Avs lose to Minnesota, we could clinch on Monday in our home game against the Avs.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One more note- don't look now, but if San Jose can beat Edmonton tonight they will be only 3 points behind LA. How crazy would it be if they somehow won the Pacific and LA had to play Anaheim in the first round?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
wtf just happened? I was there and still have a hard time believing it. Absolutely dead in the water with 8 minutes to go, trailing by two, having a horrible time even getting a shot on net, with virtually no real scoring chances for 52 minutes, VAN playing the perfect rope-a-dope two goal lead late strategy, and somehow the guys simply will themselves to a near impossible, highly improbable 2 points.

...we had 6 forwards without a single shot on net. and between 9 forwards we got a whopping 4 shots total. Forsberg 7, Neal 5, Arvidsson 5... 4 for everyone else.
..hand it to Wilson. finally contributed when given a shift on the top line.
..and credit to Ellis and Eckholm for causing the chaos that Forsberg put in.

...but of course, the main credit goes to Forsberg and Neal, as it has so many times this year.

as I sat and watched us struggle so mightily all night before the miracle finish. turned to handtrick and told him that this is why fans get burned out after many years. the bad losses become cumulative and finally most fans just reach a breaking point. and then this type of unexpected thing seems to happen, which is what holds you onto a team.

hey our schedule is much tougher than CHI's and most likely that will tell before year end. But. that doesn't change the fact that we sit 2 points behind them right now with 8 games left to play after being down 20 points to them 2 months ago. It makes you proud to be a fan of these guys.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
wtf just happened? I was there and still have a hard time believing it. Absolutely dead in the water with 8 minutes to go, trailing by two, having a horrible time even getting a shot on net, with virtually no real scoring chances for 52 minutes, VAN playing the perfect rope-a-dope two goal lead late strategy, and somehow the guys simply will themselves to a near impossible, highly improbable 2 points.

...we had 6 forwards without a single shot on net. and between 9 forwards we got a whopping 4 shots total. Forsberg 7, Neal 5, Arvidsson 5... 4 for everyone else.
..hand it to Wilson. finally contributed when given a shift on the top line.
..and credit to Ellis and Eckholm for causing the chaos that Forsberg put in.

...but of course, the main credit goes to Forsberg and Neal, as it has so many times this year.

as I sat and watched us struggle so mightily all night before the miracle finish. turned to handtrick and told him that this is why fans get burned out after many years. the bad losses become cumulative and finally most fans just reach a breaking point. and then this type of unexpected thing seems to happen, which is what holds you onto a team.

hey our schedule is much tougher than CHI's and most likely that will tell before year end. But. that doesn't change the fact that we sit 2 points behind them right now with 8 games left to play after being down 20 points to them 2 months ago. It makes you proud to be a fan of these guys.

Absolutely- I still think we will wind up as the #1 wc. However, things are really starting to get interesting. As you said, we are 2 points behind Chicago.

But another scenario is starting to come into picture- we are now 8 points behind Dallas. But we have a game in hand and if we win that one it is 6 points.

We play Columbus on Sat and Colorado on Sunday- two very winnable games (but not gimmes as we saw tonight)

Dallas lost to Arizona tonight and play in San Jose Saturday and are off Sunday and Monday.

If everything breaks right (we beat Jackets and Avs and Stars lose in SJ)- all very possible outcomes- we would be only 4 points back of Dallas with 6 games to play- and we have 2 games left with Dallas (unfortunately both in Dallas).

Just a little fun with the "what if" scenarios. Don't get me wrong- I don't think we are going to catch Dallas- we would have to win both games in Dallas and that is a tall order. And because of ROW we will have to pass them in the standings not just tie. But it is at least fun to have a chance at some of these things considering where we stood 2 months ago.

And I still can't help but think about where we would be right now if we could have just gone .500 in OT- we probably would have won the freaking division....

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I am so keyed up I can't stop posting so just one more before I call it a night:

We now have 23 regulation losses. Only 3 teams have fewer in the entire NHL:

Washington 15
Dallas 22
STL 22
Preds 23

That is pretty impressive- the numbers don't lie- strip away OT results and other than the Caps we have been as good as anyone in the league.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One more note- don't look now, but if San Jose can beat Edmonton tonight they will be only 3 points behind LA. How crazy would it be if they somehow won the Pacific and LA had to play Anaheim in the first round?

Guess I jinxed it- San Jose couldn't even beat Edmonton at home even after leading 2-0. Oh well....

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Probably only interesting to me....

Vancouver's first goal was scored at 6:52 of the first, 13:08 remaining.

Nashville's second goal was scored at 13:08 of the third, 6:52 remaining.

I like little things like this, lol.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
to echo what sparkle said in the game day thread, the crowd last night was awesome when given something to cheer for. you can't help but believe after that first goal that the crowd helped pull this one out. the buzz was so loud in the concourse and even out on the street afterwards it reminded me of a playoff win. I had random strangers high fiving me walking to the car.

almost surely because it all happened so suddenly and unexpectedly. and maybe aided by the fact, that like me, those first two periods of hockey made much beer mandatory heading into the third lol. I was hoarse afterwards, mainly from yelling 'stop sucking preds' for the first 50 minutes.

66Falconboy

Dec 23, 2009
Nashville
Vancouver had played the perfect road game - holding down our shots and not taking dumb penalties. Can't imagine how frustrated their fans must've been watching that collapse.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Diva--What the fans want and what the players want aren't always on the same page. Fortunately for us, the Preds and the fans both wanted a win and got it. :D

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Not sure how you can call Vesey the equivalent of a top 10 pick but not Fiala.

I hear ya. Kevin was the 11th pick. If Vesey were drafted in this year's upcoming draft, he'd probably be between 6 and 10.

So add Fiala to the parade of young forwards we have stockpiled.

2 or proven stars and 2 are potential stars. Fiala is hurt by Arvy's success. You can only have so many small forwards. Vesey is more of a power forward with talent, which is potentially more valuable.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
no no (had to say it twice because you cant have a two letter answer)

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would not be shocked at all if they had a little something for him.
He was a big deal to Poile, and he handled himself with nothing but class while he was here. Most of the Pred fandom (aside from this message board) loved the guy.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would not be shocked at all if they had a little something for him.
He was a big deal to Poile, and he handled himself with nothing but class while he was here. Most of the Pred fandom (aside from this message board) loved the guy.
I've kind of gradually reverted back to my Fisher jersey at the games lately, but I'll definitely wear the Jones one tomorrow.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I don't think a video montage, but they will show him on the megatron and welcome him back. We are a classy bunch.

I hope there is some sort of ceremonial faceoff and Johansen and Jones take it. Just for giggles.

and then we beat the piss out of them and take our two points and move on.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Do we really want to pass Chicago in the standings? I'd rather take my chances against LA than STL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad