Observations, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
i disagree as to what the key is for the remainder of the season. in my mind it's rinne. his .908 save percentage versus last year's .924 is the difference so far. if he finishes with an under .910 we won't make the playoffs. if he raises that to above .915 by year end (meaning he would have to have a .920 or so the rest of the way) we will be a 100 point team. he's the key. always has been.

Well that's a given but I was talking about we need additional scoring and from the second or third lines. If he comes back the second half and start scoring it will be big help Our current system is promoting the offense and which leave the goalie exposed sometimes.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I know we still have plenty of issues, but it is amazing what a couple of good wins can do.

And I still remain amazed about where we are right now- despite almost everything going wrong this season, just take a look at the standings. With the exception of the Caps and Stars (ugghh), who are running away from everyone, we are right there with everyone else in the league. We are 4 points from having the 3rd most points in the league.

That is freaking incredible. Maybe the last 2 games are the start of better things.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I've said it a thousand times, hockey is a maddening, unpredictable game. 14 times this year we have outshot our opponents by 10 or more shots. And in those 14 games we are 5-8-1. We've now been outshot by more than 10 shots 4 games. And in those 4 games we are now, get this, 4-0-0. (MTL, BUF, ANA, OTT). It's not about possession, it's about being opportunistic when you get the chances you do. Tonight we were highly opportunistic.

...Weber, now leading the entire league in points scored in December. 13 in 11 games. Josi is second in the league with 11 points in 11 games. We have never in our history had a single player lead the league in points scored in a month. and we're 1-2.
...Rinne with 4 fantastic stops in the first and second when this was close.
...Josi is just flat out spectacular. Almost every night.
...We won this game despite real trouble handling their forecheck, especially the Jones-Jackman pair. Jones with 3 charged giveaways. Could easily have been more.
...Probably the weakest game from the Arvidsson-Sissons-Hodgson line as well.
...Didn't hurt us tonight, but we are 9-3-3 in games we don't allow a PP goal. It's why I constantly harp on the PK.
...Wilson. Not even counting the empty netter, he played a good game. 2 first assists, including a fine one on Jarnkrok's goal.
...More Wilson. Many times I've seen empty net goals or easy tap ins for guys slumping horribly be the little thing that turns a guy around. You see it in sports like basketball, when good shooters go ice cold and a simple layup or free throw made gets them back on track. Here's hoping for the return of last year's Wilson.

...Jarnkrok. another guy with a solid two point game. One of the few with more goals at this point of the season than same point last year.
...The powerplay. Sure it might be all Weber and Josi, and it is, but this thing is smoking hot right now.
...Only fitting that the second unit finally gets one in and it's 3 seconds after the pp expires and doesn't count as one.
...The defense continues to amaze with their league leading 27 goals total.
...Ribeiro, Neal, Forsberg each with a point (all 3 cheaper secondary assists) even though they only managed 1 shot between all three combined.
...Really hoped that Ellis goal had gone off Smith. Sure looked like it did live (though I see it obviously didn't on replay). We all know how streaky he is and you always hope a goal will mean 3-4 more in a short period of time.

...A great night to get another win, gaining on so many Central teams. Despite all the handwringing we're still right there in the mix.

Another example of how you're never as bad as you look during a losing streak. A great way to head into Christmas.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Wasn't able to catch the first period due to a work function, but from what I saw in the second and the third, Pekka seemed to have found some confidence and play a great game. Noticed on TV they said he had something like a .926 SV% in his list five starts I think? Maybe he is turning the corner. This team needs that.

Heavily outshot, still win the game. Why? Special teams were special when they needed to be. Sometimes it is better to be opportunistic than it is good.

Wilson had a whale of a game. Very impressed and not because of the score sheet. He hustled tonight like he did in the playoffs last year. He also drew penalties and made an epic pass to Jarnkrok for his tally. Not bad at all Willy. Still would trade you in a package for a top line center, but you gave me a little pause.

Thought Josi and Weber looked really good all night. I know they were on the PK when the goal was scored, but that was an amazing shot by Galch, nothing really to see here.

Glad that goal was overturned. Was worried it wouldn't be.

PK Subban may be a great human off the ice, but on it, he is an ass.

Ekholm had a bee in his bonnet tonight. Wish Jones had that kind of fire at times.

That second power play unit still stinks to high heaven. Our top PP though is hotter than hot chicken.

Josi is a top 5 d man in the league. Anyone who disagrees with that can pound sand.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I still think Wilson can fulfill contract expectations and be an effective player for us. He hasn't been the net presence guy on the PP that he should be, but he has shown flashes this year of being the same player.

Let's be brutally honest, though, he really couldn't have had a worse start to the year. He needs to build on this game.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Last half of the year will be interesting. Does Wilson finally get it going? How about Forsberg? Do we get a boost like last year when Fisher gets back?

As much as we've been on the forwards this year ( and they deserve it) they have had some pretty horrible luck.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I don't like the way the team managed defensive line changes. For some reason they appear to change on opposite hands. As an example:

Weber and Josi are on the ice. Josi goes off first to change. Instead of swapping with Ekholm so we still have a right-and-left pairing on the ice, Ellis comes on. Then the puck gets sent back into the zone and we end up stuck with Weber and Ellis on the ice together, and one of them has to play his off side until the puck gets cleared again and Weber can get off.

It seems to happen at least a couple of times a game where we end up with guys playing out of position because they get stuck halfway through changing up the defensive pair. I don't understand why they don't swap lefty for lefty and so on.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
no, admittedly that makes no sense (didn't see it last night, but I've noticed several times us getting stuck with ellis-jones, weber-ellis type of pairs). in theory you only change for the guy you're replacing of course, LD for LD, RD for RD. shouldn't ever happen and if it does, it's on the player who skates on.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Forsberg has quietly began to put together points lately. 9 pts in the last 11 games and 5 goals, 6 assists in last 14 games. admittedly, 6 of those most recent 9 points have come on the pp and he's still struggling even strength, but I take it as a good sign of things to come.

a really interesting stat they showed on the replay, that the three leading pp point scorers in the league for December are all Preds. Weber 8, josi 8, Forsberg 6

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Wilson may be the most maddening player in the entire NHL for me. He shows flashes and streaks. He'll go 10-15 games or so where it looks like he has finally put it all together, scores at a PPG+ pace, and generally shows the physical play and offensive skills that made him a top-10 pick. And then the switch flips back off and he completely vanishes for the next 15-20 games. One game he's making passes like Adam Oates and the next he's Barney Fife. One game he's picking corners like a guy with 30+ goal skills and the next game his aim is about as good as a storm trooper shooting at Luke Skywalker.

I was very glad to see a 3-point game from him. Maybe he's heading into a hot streak. The team needs him to produce. But man does he ever drive me crazy.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
no, admittedly that makes no sense (didn't see it last night, but I've noticed several times us getting stuck with ellis-jones, weber-ellis type of pairs). in theory you only change for the guy you're replacing of course, LD for LD, RD for RD. shouldn't ever happen and if it does, it's on the player who skates on.
Sometimes it's harder to change the cross ice side defenseman as the bench is on the other side of the ice, so you change the near side defenseman with a cross ice defenseman and let him filter in.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Forsberg has quietly began to put together points lately. 9 pts in the last 11 games and 5 goals, 6 assists in last 14 games. admittedly, 6 of those most recent 9 points have come on the pp and he's still struggling even strength, but I take it as a good sign of things to come.

a really interesting stat they showed on the replay, that the three leading pp point scorers in the league for December are all Preds. Weber 8, josi 8, Forsberg 6

Remember that long thread about how bad the PP is??? For the month of December the Preds are #3 in the league in PP.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Sometimes it's harder to change the cross ice side defenseman as the bench is on the other side of the ice, so you change the near side defenseman with a cross ice defenseman and let him filter in.

yeah, and another factor that sometimes leads to have two same side d-men out there is that your puck carrying d-man has the puck back behind your net and your other dman goes off for a quick change, and the next pairs puck carrier jumps on ice first to take the puck from the other guy... and then all of a sudden pressure comes.. notice you hardly ever see two non-puck moving dmen trapped out there together, like a Jackman and weber, instead you might see a jones and weber or a josi and ellis

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
no hockey until Saturday, man that sucks

Seems worse when we have an extra day compared to most teams. The good thing is our next game is at home so that means our team doesn't have to travel on game day unlike Detroit. Flyers attempted to fly the night before last year and got penalized.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I'm actually surprised that there are 12 teams not playing on Saturday after this long break.

I hope it is the 12 teams that played Tuesday. All the players deserve the 4 day break.

What I do like is that Detroit can't stay the night tomorrow. With no NHL anything until the 26th, they have to fly in day of, skate around and prepare. Kinda like the fact that we are home Saturday. You saw the effects last year when we hosted Philly I think and they looked out of sorts a bit starting out.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I hope it is the 12 teams that played Tuesday. All the players deserve the 4 day break.

What I do like is that Detroit can't stay the night tomorrow. With no NHL anything until the 26th, they have to fly in day of, skate around and prepare. Kinda like the fact that we are home Saturday. You saw the effects last year when we hosted Philly I think and they looked out of sorts a bit starting out.

Philly flew the night before and got fined for it.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Merry Christmas to all my old and new friends on here.

Yes indeed- was coming here to post the same thing. Some of you guys drive me crazy at times on here <g> but I always enjoy the conversation even when in complete disagreement.

Being stuck in Alabama, I basically would have no one to talk hockey with if it weren't for this board.

So Happy Holidays to everyone and let's get a W tomorrow night!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA