Observations, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Yeah. Drw has a big point. Losing a triple OT game and a double OT game in which we dominated/got screwed by the officials, is drastically different than your typical 1st round exit. I hear your point as well. I think both injuries were just about the worst possible blow we could suffer outside of a star-caliber Rinne injury.

that said, it is more of the same for us as Predator fans, and we all know it.
It's encouraging and even somewhat comforting that we're almost surviving this series despite our injuries that Chicago doesn't have to deal with because one would think without Weber and Fisher gone, we'd be up in this thing. But yeah, it's still the same result, and the moral victories are more and more empty as this continues to happen. Whether it's having dudes go out and party in Phoenix while Mike Smith plays the best two weeks of goaltender of his life or catching bad breaks against a fully healthy Hawks squad and Mike Smith 2.0, the result is always the same even if we don't deserve it.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I hate that we've moved on to next year with the series still going, but oh well.

Edmonton won't, and shouldn't, move RNH. The biggest issue there has been they have thrown young guys into the fire too early and without any leadership. Running with McDavid and Draisatl as a top 2Cs next year is just more incompetence. RNH is one of the few roster centers they have. Not going to happen unless they make other moves to make sure McJesus and Drais are sheltered.

As for next year's forwards, it looks to be like we have around 15-18 NHL level forwards, even if we let Cullen and Santo go and don't sign a single forward. Something has to give.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I hate that we've moved on to next year with the series still going, but oh well.

Edmonton won't, and shouldn't, move RNH. The biggest issue there has been they have thrown young guys into the fire too early and without any leadership. Running with McDavid and Draisatl as a top 2Cs next year is just more incompetence. RNH is one of the few roster centers they have. Not going to happen unless they make other moves to make sure McJesus and Drais are sheltered.

As for next year's forwards, it looks to be like we have around 15-18 NHL level forwards, even if we let Cullen and Santo go and don't sign a single forward. Something has to give.

the question will become, how happy will RNH be in Edmonton, knowing he's eventually going to be shunted aside by McDavid. He already got his big money with a 7 year deal in 2013 but you have to think he'd probably rather eventually be somewhere that he can be a 1C and be in line for a maximum contract next time.

that said, since our current window is really only 2-3 years, i'd be OK with Joe Thornton, if he'd waive to come here.

Last edited:

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
the question will become, how happy will RNH be in Edmonton, knowing he's eventually going to be shunted aside by McDavid. He already got his big money with a 7 year deal in 2013 but you have to think he'd probably rather eventually be somewhere that he can be a 1C and be in line for a maximum contract next time.

that said, since our current window is really only 2-3 years, i'd be OK with Joe Thornton, if he'd waive to come here.

I'm not saying RNH will never be moved, I'm saying it makes no sense to move him this off-season.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

This is going to be the thing to watch. You are going to have at least one 1st overall not playing on their first line, and guys like Eberle and Draisaitl, who would be 1st or 2nd liners on many teams in the league, playing on the second or third line eventually. It's not just going to be a playing time/role issue either, you are going to have players whose ability to get the contracts they'll feel they deserve not being put in a role where they can earn it. I'd say there's essentially 0 chance that all 6 stick around in Edmonton, and even then, there's still going to be quite a bit of mental juggling to keep the ones that are still there all happy.

On Thornton, I'd rather not give up any of our significant young pieces, to be honest. If we can somehow still get him, then fine. Otherwise, I'd rather take a look at Eric Staal, if the Canes look like they're ready to go a different direction.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
As you read the comments from our faithful who watched the marathon last night / this morning, I wish we could have had web cams on everyone. See if you can relate to any of these observations:
- Just prior to puck drop, nervousness was at an all-time high
- Hyper-focus on Rinne. Feared every Chicago rush and lamented as he seemed to be fighting the puck.
- The leap from whatever you were sitting on when Wilson tipped in Goal #1.
- Followed by, "the next shift better not let in a goal". It didn't.
- The forward lean as Chicago's tying goal gets redirected and slowly finds the back of the net. Rinne follows it and slumps as it slides in. - Gloom hits.
- Kinda happy but still dissatisfied with a 1-1 after 1 period. Shoulda been 1-0. Not happy with Rinne.
- The living room discussion with whomever you were with about the need to not spit the bed in the 2nd.
- As the 2nd period goes on, you realize we're not spitting the bed. We may get to the end of the period with no damage.
- Holy Crap, Neal steals it and scores. We actually WON the 2nd Period.
- Happiest we've been after 2 periods in a long time. Prayer begins for the 3rd period. Rinne stills worries you.
-The 3rd has a different feel to it. We're definitely protecting the lead, Lavy style. Still pressing but not selling out. It's working.
- We're inside 10 minutes. You no longer feel like we're gonna score. - - - This is all about holding them for a 2-1 win.
- Then the dreaded "trailer". The names change but the result is always the same. We allow the back pass and the Sea Parts. You could feel what was coming. Even before the pass, you sensed danger. Once it was on his stick, you cringed. Great shot but a shot you needed Rinne to come up big on. He didn't.
- Puck hits back of net. I slammed my hand in the back of my chair. I'm sure thousands of Pred fans reacted physically to that goal. Damn.
- We get to OT. Rationalizations commence. We can do this. Hockey Gods owe us.
- OT1 comes. We're pressing the action. Rinne slowly starting to look like Rinne. You let out gasps both when Chicago is controlling the puck in our end, and when we just miss a golden chance because we can't quite get our stick on a rebound.
- OT2 comes. Starting to do the sleeping hours math. No wya you can go to bed. You're in for the duration. Rinne really shines now. We're getting out-chanced but Pekka is up to the task. Maybe we win the Pred old-fashioned way: Pekka keeps us in the game and we steal a goal.
- OT2 ends and now you're really tired and mostly spent. Longest game in Pred history. Confidence is waning.
- OT3 starts. Immediately you realize we're off. Slower. More tired. FF9 turns it over AGAIN and the Hawks enter the zone. Goal doesn't happen right away but puck stays in zone. From roughly the same place we lost Game 1 in OT, the long shot goes by Pekka and into the goal. - Deflation.
- Remote is grabbed and TV is almost immediately shut off. No watching them celebrate, no replay to see who screwed up. Just make it stop.
- Reality sets in. It's 1:20 in the friggin morning. Almost 5 hours of pure nerves gives way to exhaustion. You just want to go to bed.
- You strangely don't feel bitter. You feel sorry for yourself and the team. We deserved better. We played well enough to win BUT WE DIDN'T, AGAIN.
- You get in bed and stare at the ceiling, trying to recover. You then stop thinking about the game. You just want to escape into sleep. And you do.

This one really hurt. I'm a Sunshiner thru-and-thru. I've watched teams overcome 3-1 deficits. We can do it, but honestly, I will not be as stressed or nervous watching Game 5. I've already pre-accepted a hard-fought lost series. I can deal with it. That said, I don't want it to end. We've never won a Game 5 when we've been down in a series. We almost always get eliminated at home. Really want to change that mojo.

As torturous as it is, give me a Saturday afternoon Game 6 to sweat over. I'll take it. Give me one more screaming arena and a good ending, sending the Hawks fans home sad. That's where I am. Small, simple pleasures, and then build off of it.

Whatever your individual experience was like last night, we are all kindred spirits. We share this love-hate thing. Almost like a drug, we kinda know it's not going to end well, but we still shoot up.

That old saying about losing building character is really true. Rebounding from hits in life can only be practiced in the real world. While hockey is not life-or-death, we care so greatly, a loss crushes us. So we have to learn tactics to survive and then move forward. Serves us well in life.

Lets win Thursday and earn two more days of "what-if". In the unlikely event we win 3 straight and the series, it will become part of Pred History and your personal fandom history. And people will say they saw it coming, but they would be lying.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
After Game 1, we knew we would have to win one in Chicago. Just so happens to be a game 6, if there is one. Hopefully the guys have fight in them. A desperate team is a tough out.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
After Game 1, we knew we would have to win one in Chicago. Just so happens to be a game 6, if there is one. Hopefully the guys have fight in them. A desperate team is a tough out.

I dont know whether this team will be desperate tomorrow or resigned to their fate.

We were all very impressed with the teams resilliency early in the season but the last two months they have been totally made of glass.

I think if we get an early lead tomorrow we will fight to the bitter end but if we fall behind a coupole of goals I think we will just fold up and go home..

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i track you ilikeit, right up until they scored to tie it in the thrid. the very moment the net fluttered behind rinne i knew and mentally resigned myself to the fact we would lose the game. i never for one moment expected us to find a way to win after that goal with 10 minutes to go in the third. it shows how badly my confidence has been crushed with this team.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
This will be the first time they'll have truly played with their backs against the wall this season. Last year they were a dominant team and won three games against the Hawks, so we kinda need them to do that again.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
As optimistic as I sounded this morning I'm really not, I'm just not ready to jump off the cliff. Maybe its cause I missed the couple of years with Vokoun that we had a chance because I was buried in Atlanta. Don't know, either way I had us losing in 5 in my bracket and I still feel that way.

There is no hope, now its just waiting for the inevitable. Yeah by the math we aren't out of it yet, my experience says otherwise.

Lets face it, with Weber and Fisher out we are asking some guys to do some things they really aren't ready for, yet. Our weakness got weaker with them out. The amount of time they chew up showed itself in the 3rd OT.

Yeah we won't be happy, but you know what? We go on. We are Preds fans damnit, we've been through a hell of a lot worse than this.

JJpredfan

Oct 31, 2014
When OT started I thought, "I've seen this already, and didn't like the ending". It was like watching one of those nature shows with a little antelope drinking out of a croc-infested river... you know what's about to happen, but still hope that maybe this is one of those times when the antelope gets lucky.

And ILIILI, you pretty much summed up my evening, too, except I'll add that when FF9 flipped it over the glass I had to change the channel to "How It's Made" for a little while and check my phone until the PK was over.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
This team limped to the finish line with Weber and Fisher in the lineup. Six losses to end the regular season, lost the first playoff game, now nine of the last ten ended in defeat.

The final weeks of the regular season and the matchup against the Hawks are both proving as accurate indicators of this series.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
it's much harder to be upbeat if you are an original pred fan. disappointments and failures pile up over the years on most older fans and each one becomes one more brink in the wall. that's why when you go to any old franchise you notice most of the fans are 20-30 somethings and not the 45ish and up crowd that were season ticket holders from 20 years before. its just the natural evolution of things.

that's why I think the failures of this year when we were so close to successes we have dreamed of for 17 years tend to maybe negatively effect older fans more as well. the failure to win the conference and division and presidents cup really shook me this year, maybe more so than most.

I respect guys like ilikeit for maintaining enthusiasm thru all these years (even though at times I might want to choke him when when things really fall apart, lol). it's not an easy thing to do.

we have to remember, this is really just a game, and only for enjoyment at times. next year I plan on posting less and not worrying as much , and trying to just enjoy more. don't know if I can, lol, but i'm going to try. have enjoyed the banter with most all you guys over the years.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Went to sleep at the end of regulation as I figured we'd lost the game on the tying goal in the 3rd. Woke up this morning 100% expecting to see a loss and I wasn't surprised when checking the score. The only surprise was that it went to a 3rd OT.

I'll be at the game tomorrow night until the final horn and will be pulling against certain teams going forward in the playoffs.

This off seasons roster and staffing moves are going to be something. At least I hope they will be.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Yeah. My wife and I will be there, celebrating her birthday, hoping for a Preds win. I hope Fish gets back in and we see what we can do. We truly aren't done, and Rinne can be a game changer. Its just hard to be optimistic right now.

Let's go Preds!

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
it's much harder to be upbeat if you are an original pred fan. disappointments and failures pile up over the years on most older fans and each one becomes one more brink in the wall. that's why when you go to any old franchise you notice most of the fans are 20-30 somethings and not the 45ish and up crowd that were season ticket holders from 20 years before. its just the natural evolution of things.

that's why I think the failures of this year when we were so close to successes we have dreamed of for 17 years tend to maybe negatively effect older fans more as well. the failure to win the conference and division and presidents cup really shook me this year, maybe more so than most.

I respect guys like ilikeit for maintaining enthusiasm thru all these years (even though at times I might want to choke him when when things really fall apart, lol). it's not an easy thing to do.

we have to remember, this is really just a game, and only for enjoyment at times. next year I plan on posting less and not worrying as much , and trying to just enjoy more. don't know if I can, lol, but i'm going to try. have enjoyed the banter with most all you guys over the years.

I am not directing this at you personally 303- I respect your opinions especially as a longtime season ticket holder.

I am not exactly sure how to put this, but I find it interesting that many Preds fans seem to have an attitude/mindset of a long, downtrodden losing franchise- that the fanbase is a long suffering and beaten down from a long history of failure.

I am not sure I understand that. The franchise is only 16 years old- in the big picture that is nothing- the Predators are still practically infants compared to others that have been around forever.

I realize in today's society its all instant gratification- I get it- but this was an expansion franchise- so you have a built in few years of guaranteed misery. So if you take away those 3 or 4 years, you have some pretty darn good success- the Preds have made the playoffs 8 of the past 11 years and have 5 100 point seasons and 1 99 point season. There are a bunch of franchises that would love to have had that kind of success.

I completely understand the frustration with playoff results- but again, excluding the expansion years this franchise has barely had a decade of having a team able to have any kind of success.

Many on here are old Atlanta Thrashers fans- try going 11 years with 0 playoff wins- now that is a downtrodden fan base.

Or how about the St Louis Blues- they have been around almost 50 years and still don't have a Cup. I can't imagine what some people on here would do if we go 34 more years without a Cup.

The Rangers went over 50 years between Cups.

And yes I realize some other young franchises have won a Cup- but do you think Carolina, for example, is a better franchise than ours just because they won a Cup? I don't.

All I am trying to say is this franchise has had a pretty good bit of success for being so young. Again, I completely understand wanting to win in the playoffs- its the ultimate goal- I want it too. I just don't get the downtrodden fanbase attitude that many seem to have given how young the franchise is in the overall scheme of things..

There are no guarantees that the Preds will ever win a Cup- what if it takes over 50 years like the Blues? What if you knew that right now? Would you stop being a fan? I wouldn't, even though the Preds winning the Cup is my #1 bucket list item I want to see before I die.

I just want a consistently winning team that has a chance to be a true contender on a consistent basis- and for the past decade the Preds have been just that.

Ranskyre

Feb 10, 2014
It also doesn't include the offer-sheet bridge contract Poile (or some other team's GM) will give to Tarasenko! If anything it will be strategy to hamstring the competition...

Tarasenko on one side, Forsberg on the other....makes me giddy.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I am not directing this at you personally 303- I respect your opinions especially as a longtime season ticket holder.

I am not exactly sure how to put this, but I find it interesting that many Preds fans seem to have an attitude/mindset of a long, downtrodden losing franchise- that the fanbase is a long suffering and beaten down from a long history of failure.

I am not sure I understand that. The franchise is only 16 years old- in the big picture that is nothing- the Predators are still practically infants compared to others that have been around forever.

I realize in today's society its all instant gratification- I get it- but this was an expansion franchise- so you have a built in few years of guaranteed misery. So if you take away those 3 or 4 years, you have some pretty darn good success- the Preds have made the playoffs 8 of the past 11 years and have 5 100 point seasons and 1 99 point season. There are a bunch of franchises that would love to have had that kind of success.

I completely understand the frustration with playoff results- but again, excluding the expansion years this franchise has barely had a decade of having a team able to have any kind of success.

Many on here are old Atlanta Thrashers fans- try going 11 years with 0 playoff wins- now that is a downtrodden fan base.

Or how about the St Louis Blues- they have been around almost 50 years and still don't have a Cup. I can't imagine what some people on here would do if we go 34 more years without a Cup.

The Rangers went over 50 years between Cups.

And yes I realize some other young franchises have won a Cup- but do you think Carolina, for example, is a better franchise than ours just because they won a Cup? I don't.

All I am trying to say is this franchise has had a pretty good bit of success for being so young. Again, I completely understand wanting to win in the playoffs- its the ultimate goal- I want it too. I just don't get the downtrodden fanbase attitude that many seem to have given how young the franchise is in the overall scheme of things..

There are no guarantees that the Preds will ever win a Cup- what if it takes over 50 years like the Blues? What if you knew that right now? Would you stop being a fan? I wouldn't, even though the Preds winning the Cup is my #1 bucket list item I want to see before I die.

I just want a consistently winning team that has a chance to be a true contender on a consistent basis- and for the past decade the Preds have been just that.

this season was especially cruel because, for longer than it ever has, it truly looked like this franchise had finally reached the next level. Thats why those of us who have been on board since the first season are especially disappointed. If we had done what most people thought, and started the season struggling, adjusting to Lavy's system, and had rallied to reach the playoffs, I don't think any of us would be nearly so upset, in fact I am sure even with a loss in round 1 we'd be absolutely brimming with optimism about next season... thats the thing about getting your hopes up only to have them dashed, I suppose...

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Yeah. My wife and I will be there, celebrating her birthday, hoping for a Preds win. I hope Fish gets back in and we see what we can do. We truly aren't done, and Rinne can be a game changer. Its just hard to be optimistic right now.

Let's go Preds!

The Preds had a rare win on my birthday ... beat the hell out of sitting in 108 watching them get eliminated on my birthday in 04.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
We're not Buffalo who have had fate crap on them over and over again.

It's like being in a bad relationship. They sweet talk you, bring you flowers, swear they will never break your heart again. And then they do, repeatedly. But we keep coming back for more because maybe just maybe, it will be different this time.

I love this team but it is also love the social interaction with my section mates and other people I have gotten to know over the years. So I will be back in section 309, row F, seat 10 in September because what else I am going to do in the winter?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
We're not Buffalo who have had fate crap on them over and over again.

It's like being in a bad relationship. They sweet talk you, bring you flowers, swear they will never break your heart again. And then they do, repeatedly. But we keep coming back for more because maybe just maybe, it will be different this time.

I love this team but it is also love the social interaction with my section mates and other people I have gotten to know over the years. So I will be back in section 309, row F, seat 10 in September because what else I am going to do in the winter?

But see, the bolded part of your post above is exactly what I am talking about and don't get. Bad relationship? Broken heart again and again? That sounds like a fan of a team that is a perennial loser, not one with 6 100 point seasons and playoffs in 8 of 11 years.

Is it just because we haven't won a Cup? Because if you have a "Cup or bust" attitude with the Preds or for that matter 90% of teams from any sport, you are going to be a pretty unhappy fan most of your life...

Again, do not misunderstand me, I want playoff success, and more importantly a Cup as much as or more than anyone on the planet. But I have no problem with the level of success the team has had the past decade, and especially if you factor in just how young we are as a franchise.....

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
But see, the bolded part of your post above is exactly what I am talking about and don't get. Bad relationship? Broken heart again and again? That sounds like a fan of a team that is a perennial loser, not one with 6 100 point seasons and playoffs in 8 of 11 years.

Is it just because we haven't won a Cup? Because if you have a "Cup or bust" attitude with the Preds or for that matter 90% of teams from any sport, you are going to be a pretty unhappy fan most of your life...

Again, do not misunderstand me, I want playoff success, and more importantly a Cup as much as or more than anyone on the planet. But I have no problem with the level of success the team has had the past decade, and especially if you factor in just how young we are as a franchise.....

I don't pretend to speak for anyone but myself, but I feel like we have squandered our window of opportunity with Rinne and Weber. When you have two all-world players on your roster and the best you can do is eek out two series victories... well... that's a disappointment. The fact we missed the playoffs two years in a row is also unacceptable for a lot of people here.

It all comes down to Poile for me... 8-24 all time in playoff series. I just don't think he knows how to build a Stanley Cup champion. I've felt like that for years now. Our rosters have never been skilled enough or big enough to make it to the promise land... specially in the Western Conference. Sure, it is hockey and anything can happen, but even when we are favored it has always felt like an uphill battle to earn respect around the league.

Of course, what really matters right now is winning tonight and forcing game 6. You can't eat an elephant in one bite... you go one bite at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad