Observations, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
RE: Enoch, I like the new divisional playoff structure... brings more hate to the series, something that was missed in the previous rendition of the playoffs

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
RE: Enoch, I like the new divisional playoff structure... brings more hate to the series, something that was missed in the previous rendition of the playoffs

I'm going to have to disagree, any increase in hate(whatever value that has) is lost in the repetitive nature of the series and the (perceived) unfairness that is bound to happen when the divisions are unbalanced.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to have to disagree, any increase in hate(whatever value that has) is lost in the repetitive nature of the series and the (perceived) unfairness that is bound to happen when the divisions are unbalanced.

I agree with your disagreement. I also think it would be much more rewarding to beat a team like Chicago in the Conference Finals to move on to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
let's just bring it tonight. a good bounce or two, a key save or two, a little puck luck, an all out effort. one game. one game to take back home ice and put the odds back in our favor.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
transferred from the other thread..

I guess my angst is somehow one of the 5/8 seeds will advance. That is a flawed system.

Enoch, i absolutely agree, and my comment about us drawing Chicago either way was in no way meant to imply that the current system isn't much worse, even if our matchup would still have been the same, and for just the reason you've stated..

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I don't want the season to be over
I'm not ready for summer to start
Ya gotta take this one boys
Go in, grind down, and take this ****in thing
Show your captain the kinda heart you got

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Meh, the Blackhawks had 2 less points. Lower seed is true, but these teams had nearly identical seasons.

Then what does that say about when the Preds and Sharks met in the playoffs when tied for the conference lead in regular season wins?

Seeding only goes so far in the post season. Teams have to perform. Right now, we've had defensive issues cost the team. The Bolts are about to go down a game to the Wings because their PP can't buy a goal tonight. The 8 seed in the west blew third period leads in every game so far.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Then what does that say about when the Preds and Sharks met in the playoffs when tied for the conference lead in regular season wins?

Seeding only goes so far in the post season. Teams have to perform. Right now, we've had defensive issues cost the team. The Bolts are about to go down a game to the Wings because their PP can't buy a goal tonight. The 8 seed in the west blew third period leads in every game so far.

you are misrepresenting my point or arguing something else entirely. My point is, two of the bottom four seeds are playing each other. This is a flawed system.

kakemono

Dec 27, 2006
I quite like the new playoff structure. Even better would have been top 4 in each division have a division playoff for the chance to compete for the Stanley cup.

gopreds19

Formerly gobears19
Nov 10, 2008
Houston
I'm observing that under Poile we're on the verge do being 2-8 in playoff seasons. That's an abysmal record for a guy whose been here 17 years.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Weber-Josi
Ellis-Ekholm

There's our top 4 for the next 5 years. Trade Jones for the best young center we can get, don't re-sign Franson if he is too expensive, then bring in some really good #4/5/6 guys in free agency to play on our 3rd pairing.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Weber-Josi
Ellis-Ekholm

There's our top 4 for the next 5 years. Trade Jones for the best young center we can get, don't re-sign Franson if he is too expensive, then bring in some really good #4/5/6 guys in free agency to play on our 3rd pairing.

Ellis is really becoming a fantastic little defenseman. Jones is just trying to do to much, and his game's not quite there yet. He looks like a 20 year old trying to replace a Norris winner.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This game wore me out for so many ****ing reasons. I'm almost always universally positive about my teams in all sports. The Preds are top dog but I've never had a team I root for win a championship. Ever. In any sport. Not only that, but no team I root for has ever won a title in the entire history of their franchise.

I had a compete losers mentality all night, because why? It's what I'm used to. I've never known winning. I don't know what it feels like and I don't know how to be confident. It's not just the Preds, it's every single one of my teams.

What I do know is we played as well as we could and I'm proud of them. I don't remember who might have been at fault on the game winner, and honestly I don't remember who scored it. I couldn't care less. I threw my remote in the air and turned off the TV immediately and was left with the empty realization that sports had let me down yet again and I'm just gonna be tired as **** in the morning.

I know our guys played hard but it's nights/mornings like these where you wonder why on earth you expect anything different than the inevitable outcome.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
This game wore me out for so many ****ing reasons. I'm almost always universally positive about my teams in all sports. The Preds are top dog but I've never had a team I root for win a championship. Ever. In any sport. Not only that, but no team I root for has ever won a title in the entire history of their franchise.

I had a compete losers mentality all night, because why? It's what I'm used to. I've never known winning. I don't know what it feels like and I don't know how to be confident. What I do know is we played as well as we could and I'm proud of them. I don't remember who might have been at fault on the game winner, and honestly I don't remember who scored it. I couldn't care less. I threw my remote in the air and turned off the TV immediately and was left with the empty realization that sports had let me down yet again and I'm just gonna be tired as **** in the morning.

I know our guys played hard but it's nights/mornings like these where you wonder why on earth you expect anything different than the inevitable outcome.
1988 Los Angeles Dodgers. That's my one (and I was...pffft, 9? lol). I was Predators fans over Kings fan by the time the latter finally got around to figuring it out. I love this team, love these players, but...just demoralizing to see it end up this way, especially since we all know deep down that's the way it will end. I had to take it really easy on the game tonight. I was so angry and frustrated on Sunday and it just...bothered me. Sports is supposed to be fun, entertaining, and an escape, not a further source of stress.

Don't know what else to say. Just sad.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
1988 Los Angeles Dodgers. That's my one (and I was...pffft, 9? lol). I was Predators fans over Kings fan by the time the latter finally got around to figuring it out. I love this team, love these players, but...just demoralizing to see it end up this way, especially since we all know deep down that's the way it will end.
That's tough also. You're a So Cal guy so I'll say my other teams are the Padres, Chargers and Clippers. I'm 30 and unfortunately sports have treated me equally in all of them throughout my life haha

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
much like the team, I have no hockey left in me. no hockey sadness, no hockey joy. we've lost 9 of our last 10 games, I suppose I should be used to defeat and disappointment. Lord knows this team has helped me practice that for going onto 2 months now. A 29 game stretch of hockey that has made me doubt many on our roster and more than taken away any pleasure I got from the first 57 games.

Too many youngsters. Not enough offensive skill. Not enough talent among the vets. Too many trying to do it all themselves. Chicago is a flawed team. But we're more flawed than them.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I am so proud of our boys. They are fighting tooth and nail in this series and a couple of bounces or better officiating in game one and we could be winning this series 3-1 on the way back to Nashville. Having said that though, you knew when the game went into overtime we weren't winning. It was the most demoralizing feeling I have ever felt in sports. Maybe things would be different if we had Weber and the heart of the team Fisher.

I would like to see two moves made this offseason. I want Jones moved for a top line center and I want Poile to retire. 2-8 in playoff series is just not good enough. Hire Chia and lets retool our forwards.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Too many youngsters. Not enough offensive skill. Not enough talent among the vets. Too many trying to do it all themselves. Chicago is a flawed team. But we're more flawed than them.

And none of this should be a surprise to any of us. When we started this season this very same statement is what would have been said about this team. The talent was young, the vets weren't that skilled, it was a transition year that we hoped we could squeak into the playoffs.

I realize after the start we had that this has all been a huge let down. We put our hopes on the back of a bunch of kids, aging vets, and a goalie that was having an insane year. We bought in after knowing at the start it should be a rough season. We knew this team wasn't as good as the record showed, but we said the hell with it and went for the ride.

Yes sitting here today it feels like a let down, I get that, I was as bummed as anyone about the result. I'm hoping however that once we step back away from this season that we realize it wasn't a complete waste.

Players like Jones, Josi, Forsberg, Jarnkrok, etc. all now see just exactly what it takes. They now see that the playoffs are a different level, that its not just a cliche.

The guys last night weren't just beat by talent, they were also beat by experience. Even the Great One got his teeth kicked in by a more experienced team in the playoffs before they became the Edmonton team we know from history.

This group of guys gave one of the most experienced teams in the playoffs all they wanted, and they did it without some of there best players, their leaders, and their most experienced.

I know we all want that cup, we want to be able to rub it in St. Louis and Minnesota's face. However this team isn't there yet, its not ready. We knew that all season long, heck several of you kept reminding us of it all season long.

But you know what as disappointing as it all became, its not a total loss. This team, this group of guys learned in one season what it feels like to win, and also what it feels like to lose. As fans, all we can do is sit back and once again hope that they take that and run with it and with a bit of help from the GM, do become that team we want them to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad