Pre-Game Talk: NYR vs ARI - 10/26/17 @7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Honestly, I think the team will look a lot better after a few games of 12F/6D instead of the 11F/7D. The stability that you gain from not having to constantly double-shift for every game is underrated

That being said, there is still a bit of work to do. Both on the ice and behind the bench.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
“At the end of the day I could say that we are playing a lot better than our record...” LOL AV
I would argue they are even worse than the record would indicate. One of the two wins came against the only team more hapless than the Rangers and their momentum was destroyed after the two goals waived off.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I would argue they are even worse than the record would indicate. One of the two wins came against the only team more hapless than the Rangers and their momentum was destroyed after the two goals waived off.

They heavily outplayed the Islanders and Avalanche and I thought they were better than the Blues and Devils when they played too.

I don't know about a lot better, but they're certainly better than they've shown so far. The problem for them is that this month was more or less constructed in a way for them to build up a nice cache of points in the standings and that isn't going to happen. They've lost games in which they've played pretty well. They haven't even truly hit a funk yet (its early) and they've still failed to put up points.

Reactions: NCRanger

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Between the Knicks & Rangers I am so depressed. I would bet anything this happens .......

That would alleviate some of the depression though.

But with the Cavs and Cubs recent championships, I would argue that the post 94 unfortunate quartet of Jets, Rangers, Mets and Knicks fan are the biggest losers in sports. I was 4 years old in 1994, so that doesn't count. Us and DC sports is about as pathetic as it gets.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That would alleviate some of the depression though.

But with the Cavs and Cubs recent championships, I would argue that post 94 the unfortunate quarter of Jets, Rangers, Mets and Knicks fan are the biggest losers in sports. I was 4 years old in 1994, so that doesn't count as a championship. Us and DC sports is about as pathetic as it gets.

Yeah if you consider all NY sports to be the 4 teams you mentioned.

Luckily for some of us, the Yankees and Giants exist.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
This is the one guys, we wil finally obtain our freedom. AV will be fired in less than 48 hours. Let's enjoy this moment.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
A regulation win would put us 7 points ahead of Arizona. Can't have that happen. Tank Lundqvist knows what needs to be done.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it bad that I'm at the point where I want the Rangers to lose so that this coach is fired?

Absolutely not.

Here's the thing though. AV getting fired might actually make this team good enough to just miss out on a playoff spot. If AV stays, we could actually finish with a chance to draft in the top few spots, which would really help this organization. The problem with that is I'm not sure if we can go another full season where AV ignores the younger players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And Buch still languishes on the 4th line, I love it.

I re-watched the last game on the late night replay that MSG has, and it was staggering how well he had played in that game. I didn't even bother mentioning it here because I thought after he set up the only goal, that would get him back on the first line, but he was one of the few best players on the ice for either team.

What more does he need to do for AV to not put him on the 4th line? He's a top 6 player in just about every stat there is for this team with ridiculously low ice time, and having to play with 4th liners of late like Grabner and Cracknell. Everyone can see it watching the games as well, except our coach. One of the reasons he needs to be fired whenever it is beneficial for the team to fire him.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The usual thing would be for the Rangers to give up a hat trick to Stepan and have Raanta post a 39 save shutout, while giving up 13 shots.

I'm going with a different take. Pavelec posts a 34 save shutout while the team is outplayed ridiculously. Buchnevich scores on the PP and Nash scores into an empty net.

Pavelec gets the start in Montreal on Saturday. Team plays like a cohesive unit and they win 3-1.

Lundqvist gets the start at home against Florida and gets lit up like a Christmas tree, even though the team plays well.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Absolutely not.

Here's the thing though. AV getting fired might actually make this team good enough to just miss out on a playoff spot. If AV stays, we could actually finish with a chance to draft in the top few spots, which would really help this organization. The problem with that is I'm not sure if we can go another full season where AV ignores the younger players.
You are getting so far ahead of yourself here. If we are in the position we currently are in by February, your mindset makes sense. But we're 10 games in. There's so much hockey left in the season it's beyond premature to be looking at it from that angle already.

This team as constructed isn't going to finish the season at their current pace with 16 wins. There will be ebbs and flows and winning streaks. Barring major injuries, this team won't be a bottom 5 team so it's ridiculous to hope for that.

As a fan shouldn't we be hoping for the team to pull out of the nosedive and get on a streak or offset their poor start? Not pining for the 1st OA pick next year, which finishing last doesn't even guarantee you, and that player doesn't guarantee to save the franchise.

Sorry, I want the team to collectively pull their heads from their butts, go on a few winning streaks and be right back in the playoff picture and hopefully hit their stride in the second half, much like the 2014 team did after a poor start (3-7in first 10 games). I want to see growth from Skjei, Buch and Vesey. We have Chytil and Lias and Tony D hopefully progressing away from AV. Keep our first for next season and add to the youth with that pick which will hopefully be in the 20's.

That should be the hope at this point, not to continue playing like crap for the next 72 games (I laugh even writing that because it is SO MANY GAMES) just so we will have a chance at lottery ticket that may be a winner.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You are getting so far ahead of yourself here. If we are in the position we currently are in by February, your mindset makes sense. But we're 10 games in. There's so much hockey left in the season it's beyond premature to be looking at it from that angle already.

This team as constructed isn't going to finish the season at their current pace with 16 wins. There will be ebbs and flows and winning streaks. Barring major injuries, this team won't be a bottom 5 team so it's ridiculous to hope for that.

As a fan shouldn't we be hoping for the team to pull out of the nosedive and get on a streak or offset their poor start? Not pining for the 1st OA pick next year, which finishing last doesn't even guarantee you, and that player doesn't guarantee to save the franchise.

Sorry, I want the team to collectively pull their heads from their butts, go on a few winning streaks and be right back in the playoff picture and hopefully hit their stride in the second half, much like the 2014 team did after a poor start (3-7in first 10 games). I want to see growth from Skjei, Buch and Vesey. We have Chytil and Lias and Tony D hopefully progressing away from AV. Keep our first for next season and add to the youth with that pick which will hopefully be in the 20's.

That should be the hope at this point, not to continue playing like crap for the next 72 games (I laugh even writing that because it is SO MANY GAMES) just so we will have a chance at lottery ticket that may be a winner.

The other thing is, any amount of normal puck luck, and league average goaltending, we're looking at a 4-4-2 team, instead of this 2-6-2 thing. They aren't as bad as some here are making them out to be. No, they are not a GOOD team, but they are not a lottery team either.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We're going to win this comfortably, leading to more indecisiveness about the direction of the team and probably a panic trade or 2 to 'jumpstart' the season...

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
920x920.jpg

I shan't be attending out of contempt

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad