Seravalli: NYR signing prospect Zac Jones

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
mult=quote did not engage.

We are not dealing Nils L.
We will see about moving Trouba to FL and it will go nowhere this time.

The mathematical move is to trade Lindgren + Hajek + Rykov + pick + one of Strome or Buch
to OTT
for
Sanderson

replaces Lindy = expiring elc -> new rfa
with theoretical upgrade who is elc
meanwhile at LD NY now has after K'A M, Robertson, Reunanen and Jones.
Sanderson would be developing one more year before he is in the equation.
Likely deal Reunanen
We carry all 4 [K'A M, Robertson, Jones. and Sanderson] providing depth.

Sens do this for instant Depth D and F help + pick

Right side would remain Fox, Nils L, Trouba then Schneider
Don’t think there gonna deal Lindgren. Too much chemistry with Fox. Lindgren can also get better himself. He’s not very old. May have another gear to his game. This is a curious move. I guess they want to see how Jones looks amongst the big boys. I think a major trade is coming in the offseason. Could be at the draft or right after.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Has nothing to do with Lundkvist. Hajek is not good and Smith won't be here next year. Jones and Lundkvist easily move in. Reunanen as the 7th.
Yes, if Robertson and Schneider look lights out at camp there’s a big decision coming down the pike. Neither are far off, especially with Nils on the way over the blue line could be very crowded

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Don’t think there gonna deal Lindgren. Too much chemistry with Fox. Lindgren can also get better himself. He’s not very old. May have another gear to his game. This is a curious move. I guess they want to see how Jones looks amongst the big boys. I think a major trade is coming in the offseason. Could be at the draft or right after.

There is nothing wrong with anything said above.
And Lindgren is still very young and inexpensive, tho math does not lie and it would be both cheaper and a decent bet to turn him into Sanderson.

While none of that is a nothing burger, imo there is a dominant consideration.

Lindgren is a solid LD whose established play commands value.
If we move one of the others to keep Lindy, we are selling them at a discount b'c they are unknown.
Taking less that an acceptably full return would be a mistake.
Especially if the guy squeezed out is Jones, and as advertised, he is "another Fox".
The only other mathematical possibility to keep everyone initially is to allow a couple of extra D to play as 4th line Fs.

Would otherwise prefer to keep Lindy, but prefer more to avoid the cost of keeping; instead sell high.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
IDK why NYR needs to trade Lindgren when Hajek and Smith are the odd men out here. Smith will be replaced by Lundkvist next season and Jones might take the LD side over Hajek. But if he can't beat out Hajek in camp then he isn't ready yet.
Lundkvist is the only one of the bunch that is NHL ready.
Schneider and Jones will probably need some seasoning in Hartford.

Reactions: haveandare

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Seems odd that he’d go right into the lineup. He’s good, but could use some seasoning

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Stupid to burn an ELC year

I posted this elsewhere but burning a year gives the Rangers an advantage as well. Since he will go RFA early, he will be a 10.2(c) status player and therefore not eligible for offer sheets or salary arbitration. That makes the negotiations a lot easier when his ELC is up.

Additionally, they have negotiated an ELC without performance bonuses, which this team has experienced the downsides of this past season having over 7.5% of the cap in bonuses on the team already.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I posted this elsewhere but burning a year gives the Rangers an advantage as well. Since he will go RFA early, he will be a 10.2(c) status player and therefore not eligible for offer sheets or salary arbitration. That makes the negotiations a lot easier when his ELC is up.

Additionally, they have negotiated an ELC without performance bonuses, which this team has experienced the downsides of this past season having over 7.5% of the cap in bonuses on the team already.
This makes some sense, thanks AK!

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yes, and no.

Yes, as it's always stupid to do that if you do not have to.

No, as this ensures that you have him and thus not risk losing him as a UFA in 2023.

With the depth on Defence in the NYR Org., some youngsters may look at the situation and feel they have a clearer path to the NHL somewhere else.

This removes that completely as a possibility of losing the player for nada.
I was talking to a friend Sunday and we both thought this was where it was heading with Jones. Then had the same conversation with a co-worker yesterday morning. Play out the next 2 years at UMass and go UFA route to a team without the depth of prospects on D.

Guess, the thinking on the Rangers was offer him now and he might take it. Wait until next year, and he might be of the mind that he will just wait one more year.

Defense is now Trouba, Miller, Fox, Lindgren, Hajek. Smith is UFA at end of season and is likely gone. Now, you have Jones coming in, Reunanen in Hartford and likely to be called up. Lundkvist, Schneider, Robertson coming next season and even Hunter Skinner. Some will have to be moved, but this is not exactly a terrible problem to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: pld459666

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
ESPN hockey prospect guy
Think if they sign Schneider it would more. He’s not going to want to come over if he doesn’t think he’s likely to win a spot. There will be a battle in camp for sure. Rangers D looking bright but not all of these guys are going to be here. Expect a move at the draft or right after IMO. Does anyone think they might try a Jones-trouba pairing since miller has hit the rookie wall a bit. He’s still playing good but maybe they try to decrease his minutes a little. Fox and lindgren need a reprieve as well

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Granted I only watched Zac in the finals but he is still a novice and has a lot to learn about playing defense.

I don't anticipate he'll be as good as Fox was defensively, but he's a similar style player. He's better defensively than most think he should be. He'll probably struggle a little with the physicality of the NHL game, but his hockey sense is really good, he positions himself well, he makes plays under pressure with the puck, and he defends well using his stick. He won't be any worse defensively at the start of his career than Hajek/Smith are further into their careers, and he'll add a lot in transition/offensively that we lost with DeAngelo waived.

Reactions: cheech70

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Think if they sign Schneider it would more. He’s not going to want to come over if he doesn’t think he’s likely to win a spot. There will be a battle in camp for sure. Rangers D looking bright but not all of these guys are going to be here. Expect a move at the draft or right after IMO. Does anyone think they might try a Jones-trouba pairing since miller has hit the rookie wall a bit. He’s still playing good but maybe they try to decrease his minutes a little. Fox and lindgren need a reprieve as well

I think the issue is much more an issue of Schneider eventually than one of Lundkvist. He's probably the trade chip.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Schneider is already signed. And apparently AHL eligible next season.
BUT is there really any urgency to sort them out so quick?
Very most likely Jones, Robertson, Schneider, Skinner all start next in Hartford.
Maybe 1 or both of Reunanen and Lundkvist too

I don't think NYR need make decisions sooner than spring of '23,
unless a deal they like presses the issue
Currently their AHL affiliate only has 2D (1 isTarmo) on NYR NHL contracts.
and Raddysh is UFA in off-season

Reactions: cheech70

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Will be very interesting in camp later in the year when presumably we have Jones, Robertson, Hajek, Tarmo, Bitetto all competing for that 3LD spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad