Seravalli: NYR signing prospect Zac Jones

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
But couldn’t they just sign him in 4 weeks and have him signed while not burning a year? If he’s willing to sign today he won’t be after the season? It’s possible he’s signing because they told him he’d get NHL games but the risk of losing him isn’t imminent. Could sign him in the offseason with promises of a good chance of roster spot next camp.

Both parties would have to sign that contract.

He's not obligated to sign it in 4 weeks.

that's the thing with leverage, use it when you have it.

He used it, I have no doubt that the Rangers will bridge his ass next go around.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
not really,
he very likely spends next 2 full seasons in Hartford (rather than at UMass),
his next contract wont be a concern

and ain't worth it to sweat his 3rd contract before his 2st starts ...
Perhaps, then again maybe he breaks out like Fox and then is looking for big money a year earlier than he could have. I would rather he have stayed in college.

borekmarkj

Apr 12, 2021
What does this signing mean for a play like Ryan Lindgren or Libor Hajek? Do the Rangers make a move that includes the departure of a young DMAN or two this summer? How about Nils Lundkvist or Braden Schneider?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Jones and Laf in for Trouba and K'Andre
u370wNQHh87-KRblCK_Xms3KUnitSgv1EfDs3naA1gRQS9ihWFNIaGKeuO_Gg_tbDfaC0vHeCUXm3RA8wB4JXRYyJ-9MA_co3k-8TP6-wqrw-KuWK-uXqh_TxuMadDDtt15ccpbTxQ0WrrUPnEQkAIqwVaeTkiLZRYc

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lol. They play different sides.

Jones won’t be taking anything from Lundkvist.
They play different sides but Fox, Lindgren, Miller, and (sadly) Trouba are locked into the top 4 going forward. How are we going to fit Lundkvist, Jones, and Schneider? Even if we dump Smith and Hajek

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What does this signing mean for a play like Ryan Lindgren or Libor Hajek? Do the Rangers make a move that includes the departure of a young DMAN or two this summer? How about Nils Lundkvist or Braden Schneider?

Doubtful. We don't even know if Jones is actually ready for the NHL. He'll get some games, but if he isn't ready, he could spend all of next year in Hartford.

At some point we may end up moving a dman, but there's no rush.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This is great because he gets experience now and then if there are things he needs to address, he has the offseason to come back strong. Some guy named Leetch did this back in 1988. I think that worked out well. Obviously not comparing Jones to Leetch, but this also help stagger when the ELC’s end. Unless Jones absolutely goes off, he’ll likely not get the service time and numbers that will see him get a huge deal.
I think all players would do that. It's smart for the player. The business side of this is where it gets tricky for the organization. There wasn't a cap back then. Burning an ELC year is much different now. I never had an issue with burning a year off an ELC unless you think that player is going to be a superstar, commanding a high contract immediately.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They play different sides but Fox, Lindgren, Miller, and (sadly) Trouba are locked into the top 4 going forward. How are we going to fit Lundkvist, Jones, and Schneider? Even if we dump Smith and Hajek

None of Lundkvist, Jones or Schneider are NHL players yet. They could all spend time in the AHL. It's not a problem until it's actually a problem. When they start pushing the top 4 for playing time, then we can worry about what we are going to do.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Hajek will battle for a spot with the rookies. Lindgren is a top4 defenseman and 1st in NYR LHD depth chart, he isn't going anywhere until someone takes his spot. Lundkvist and Schneider are RHD.

borekmarkj

Apr 12, 2021
Hajek will battle for a spot with the rookies. Lindgren is a top4 defenseman and 1st in NYR LHD depth chart, he isn't going anywhere until someone takes his spot. Lundkvist and Schneider are RHD.
RHD: Fox, Trouba are both untouchable
LHD: Key is untouchable
There is a clear log jam at the Defensive position for the Rangers soon on the horizon. The Rangers will likely need to move Nils so they don't lose him for nothing. I feel as though Schneider might be safe and Hajek is another question. Could we see a specific deal with Buffalo including Nils?

borekmarkj

Apr 12, 2021
Doubtful. We don't even know if Jones is actually ready for the NHL. He'll get some games, but if he isn't ready, he could spend all of next year in Hartford.

At some point we may end up moving a dman, but there's no rush.
Im thinking of a specific trade with Buffalo.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
RHD: Fox, Trouba are both untouchable
LHD: Key is untouchable
There is a clear log jam at the Defensive position for the Rangers soon on the horizon. The Rangers will likely need to move Nils so they don't lose him for nothing. I feel as though Schneider might be safe and Hajek is another question. Could we see a specific deal with Buffalo including Nils?
I want to see an actual NHL log jam, not a prospect log jam, before moving anyone. As it stands, I see an open spot for a RHD next season, and a potential opening at LHD. Not all prospects make it. Some will merely disappoint, some will bust harder than we ever though was possible. And some will be better then expected.

If Nils for some reason doesn't want to come and battle for that open RHD spot next season ( doesn't sign before the draft ), then we'll have to look into trading him. But we aren't there yet.

But sure, Rangers do have several D prospects that could be included in "specific" trades.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think all players would do that. It's smart for the player. The business side of this is where it gets tricky for the organization. There wasn't a cap back then. Burning an ELC year is much different now. I never had an issue with burning a year off an ELC unless you think that player is going to be a superstar, commanding a high contract immediately.

And I don’t think Jones will. Could he be one? Sure, but not immediately. That’s why I mentioned that it will stagger the ELC’s.

Gorton has to be absolutely cognizant of the contracts.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

There are 7-8 defenseman on a team. We'll have several names on that list locked into contracts for 2-3 years. We have plenty of time to figure it out.

Lundkvist should believe that he's readier than any name outside of that top 4, which he is. We're talking about a player who projects as a potential top pairing defenseman. He's not going to sign elsewhere because of a fear Jones & Schneider are going to keep him down the depth chart. He'll be signed by the Rangers within a month of eligibility.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
mult=quote did not engage.

We are not dealing Nils L.
We will see about moving Trouba to FL and it will go nowhere this time.

The mathematical move is to trade Lindgren + Hajek + Rykov + pick + one of Strome or Buch
to OTT
for
Sanderson

replaces Lindy = expiring elc -> new rfa
with theoretical upgrade who is elc
meanwhile at LD NY now has after K'A M, Robertson, Reunanen and Jones.
Sanderson would be developing one more year before he is in the equation.
Likely deal Reunanen
We carry all 4 [K'A M, Robertson, Jones. and Sanderson] providing depth.

Sens do this for instant Depth D and F help + pick

Right side would remain Fox, Nils L, Trouba then Schneider

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia