Seravalli: NYR signing prospect Zac Jones

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Stupid to burn an ELC year

Yep. I’m excited to see him but we’ve got 15 games left and don’t look like a playoff team. A rookie D isn’t likely to help us win any additional games so as fun as it is to get a look at a new kid, why burn a year for 10-15 games? We still haven’t given Barron a look and he’s been great in the AHL. A bit of a head scratcher for me.

Edit: would he be a UFA this summer? Is it not possible to send him to the AHL or does that not matter at his age?

Reactions: Hockey Fanatik

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Stupid to burn an ELC year

Yes, and no.

Yes, as it's always stupid to do that if you do not have to.

No, as this ensures that you have him and thus not risk losing him as a UFA in 2023.

With the depth on Defence in the NYR Org., some youngsters may look at the situation and feel they have a clearer path to the NHL somewhere else.

This removes that completely as a possibility of losing the player for nada.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yes, and no.

Yes, as it's always stupid to do that if you do not have to.

No, as this ensures that you have him and thus not risk losing him as a UFA in 2023.

With the depth on Defence in the NYR Org., some youngsters may look at the situation and feel they have a clearer path to the NHL somewhere else.

This removes that completely as a possibility of losing the player for nada.

But couldn’t they just sign him in 4 weeks and have him signed while not burning a year? If he’s willing to sign today he won’t be after the season? It’s possible he’s signing because they told him he’d get NHL games but the risk of losing him isn’t imminent. Could sign him in the offseason with promises of a good chance of roster spot next camp.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I woulda liked NCAA a little longer but I guess its better to be safe than sorry when signing NCAA guys

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Granted I only watched Zac in the finals but he is still a novice and has a lot to learn about playing defense.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This is great because he gets experience now and then if there are things he needs to address, he has the offseason to come back strong. Some guy named Leetch did this back in 1988. I think that worked out well. Obviously not comparing Jones to Leetch, but this also help stagger when the ELC’s end. Unless Jones absolutely goes off, he’ll likely not get the service time and numbers that will see him get a huge deal.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad