Confirmed Trade: [NYR/OTT] Mika Zibanejad & 2018 2nd round pick for Derick Brassard & 2018 7th rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I have to laugh at people trying to award a 'winner' on Day 1 of a trade. Both teamas got what they wanted. Ottawa added Phaneuf last year. They added Brassard to Turris. They have Ryan and Hoffman and they have good young players on the way. It's a good move for them.

The Rangers wanted to get younger and add a RH shot. Zib helps in that arena. Seems like a good trade for both clubs

Not sure why more people cant share this opinion... Its really not hard at all to come to this conclusion. Its a lot more difficult to say that one side did better than the other, considering there are a huge amount of variables in play here.

Every single person I've spoken with in real life, true die hard hockey fans, felt like this was a great move for both teams.

Yet by reading through this thread you would believe that the Sens just got taken to the cleaner and hung out to dry. Its getting harder all the time to take this place seriously, everyone has the "AINEC" mentality, which takes away from credibility here.

Im actually convinced that most people in here saying that the rangers won believe that Zibby is already a better player than Brassard, or that its about even. I think they are going to quickly realize how horribly, horribly wrong that statement is when next season starts.

It was a very even trade for two teams that are at two very different stages of a rebuild. If people want to crap on Ottawa, so be it. Anyone with half a brain knows that they just took nice a step forward towards being playoff bound team.

Reactions: RoyalDuder

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
When you dont tank, thats what you get. You very rarely get a Benn, Kopitar, Toews, Kane, Sid, Malkin, Ovi, Mcdavid, Matthews, Eichel etc unless you tank.

You're aware that out of the 10 names you named, only 2 were not top 2 picks (Kopitar #11) and Benn was drafted in the 5th round?

Thats why i added them and said very rarely you get guys like that. I know Benn was a late pick.

You get to make picks like that every year. Karlsson was drafted #16th, Letang in the 3rd round, Subban in the 2nd round, Weber in the 2nd or 3rd round. Kucherov in the 2nd round. Tarasenko was drafted 16, Kuznetsov was drafted 26, Saad 43 and Jenner 37 while Gaudreau was drafted 104. You can draft good players throughout the draft. You do not have to make picks that are in the first couple of spots. It helps, but thats far from how teams must go to be successful.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
All the Sens fans saying Zib will frustrate us... I think this is all about perception. Remember, for us, this is a guy who already is a second line center and might become a first line one. But no one in Rangers land is EXPECTING that he'll become one. The dominant expectation is what he already is, as opposed to what he could be. Perception is a little different when you aren't the team that drafted the player 6th overall.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Now do the same with Zibanejad.
Zibanejad:
Home 40GP | 11G | 16A | 27P | +13
Road 41GP | 10G | 14A | 24P | -15

You mean the part where Zibanejad scored pretty much the same on the road and at home, whereas Brassard was a PPG at home vs. a 30-point player on the road? Or are you going to throw the +/- stats of a 22-year-old player on a team that finished with the 12th worst record in the league at me? (If so, you may want to look at Brassard's +/- as late as his 24 year old season with CLB - at which point, by the way, he was still three years away from 50P, and four years away from 20G.)

They are going to be shocked when they see this ready to break out player ,whom had a full min and a half more ice time over last season .....and only scored 5 more points :nod:

You mean the part where his ice time went up 8.1% and his points went up 10.9%? Sure, I'd like to have seen it go up MORE, but that's still moving in the right direction, despite your implication that it isn't. And again, he was a developing 22-year-old, who will still have plenty of room to improve next year and for the next several years thereafter - and he STILL scored only 7 less points than the mature 28-year-old Brassard with nowhere to go but down.

Can you explain his 2014-2015 splits?

I don't know what you expect out of Zibanejad but he certainly will need to be sheltered. He failed to step up when Turris was hurt, Pageau managed to.

That's the point - they absolutely fell off a cliff. This is not a good thing.

And a young player needs sheltering? Really? You shock me!

I mean, you can tell yourself that, but it's straight up not true.

Brassard's home and away zone starts are near identical.
And his overall zone starts are completely normal for an offensive minded player, including one Mika Zibanejad.

Uh, right - this is what I'm saying. AV did everything in his power to limit his defensive zone starts, even when he had the last change. And when he didn't have the last change, Brassard got absolutely torched, despite the fact that he had the benefit of near 60/40 offensive zone starts. (As opposed to, for example, Stepan, who despite getting zone starts in all situations and forced to play significant PK time, has consistently met or outproduced Brassard on a per game basis.)

And I get that Zibanejad also was sheltered. But he was a young kid. Young kids (can) get better - just look at Ziba's face-off statistics (and yes, his points).

The problem with ALL of these comparisons is that those who are trying to say that Ottawa got the better of the deal are evaluating them as if they're at the same place on their career trajectories (without even taking into account the disparity in the draft picks). They're NOT. One has the potential to improve - potentially by a lot; the other can only stay flat, or go down. And he showed some disturbing downward flashes last year already.

And again, guys, I LIKE Brassard; I spent a lot of time defending him during his first full season in NY. He's a solid, albeit finesse-oriented 2C who has some meaningful defensive deficiencies. He can be very valuable if used in the right way. I ALSO think he's a better fit for Ottawa given his handedness and the fact that he's more of a playmaker. He may be the better player this coming season. It's the kind of trade that a team that has cup aspirations should make. If Ottawa wins the cup during Brassard's tenure there, it will have been worth it.

It's also POSSIBLE that Zibanejad is one of those rare guys who just caps out at 22 and never improves, who never really "gets it." If he does plateau like that, I suppose it's worth it, although the players are already almost equivalent and you threw in a 2nd round pick, so I don't think you can call that a "win". in any event, if he stays where he is, again, it will have at least been a wash for you, and potentially worth it.

But if Zibanejad continues to improve, as I think he will, long-term this is much better for the Rangers. And you gave us a pick? From an asset management point of view, I think the Rangers "won."

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The Sens also acquired a left handed center (a big need)

As well as a playmaking top 6 C (a big need)

As well as a veteran (a big need)

As well as a playoff performer (a big need)

BUT the Sens gave up a potential true #1C, also a current need.
We do have similar potential in White and Brown though, but I'd say Zib's pedigree was higher when he was drafted. He just hasn't broken out as we'd hoped. May still yet!

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The Sens also acquired a left handed center (a big need)

As well as a playmaking top 6 C (a big need)

As well as a veteran (a big need)

As well as a playoff performer (a big need)

And, for the record, all of this is why I can understand the Sens' rationale for the deal, despite the fact that I think the Rangers made out much better from an asset management point of view.

Group Chat Legend*

BUT the Sens gave up a potential true #1C, also a current need.
We do have similar potential in White and Brown though, but I'd say Zib's pedigree was higher when he was drafted. He just hasn't broken out as we'd hoped. May still yet!

He wont be a 1C... not with the offense the Rangers have.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If I'm Vesey, I prefer to go to a team with Nejad than Brass. By the time Vesey adjusts to the NHL and hits his prime, Brass will be on the downturn of his career. If I'm a desired young NHL player, I want a team with a good young core about my age.

If I'm Vesey, I'm looking at a lot more than who a team's #2C is. And honestly? If it's either of them, I doubt I'd be too impressed. But as a goal scoring winger, I think I'd rather have the center who could get me the puck then the shoot first guy who likely won't get him the puck.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah I didn't mean yours was ridiculous...the one you were responding to was. And Even if Zib stays at ~50 points and plays solid defense, I'm happy. We needed to get younger and cheaper, and acquired a top 50-60 draft pick in the process. It's the exact deal the Rangers needed to make this offseason.

I don't think he'll be cheaper for long, but yeah, I understand the point of the move (I think). I might not have been too excited to trade Brassard, but I guess he was the only option? They couldn't have moved Girardi or Staal or anyone else?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
He wont be a 1C... not with the offense the Rangers have.

NYR haven't had an obvious 1C for quite some time (more like 2 1C -), so if paired with Nash and Zucc, ZBad will play that role especially given he's better on face offs than Stepan.

I don't see a need to declare a trade winner, thought it was a good hockey trade with some financial considerations behind it. Brass will do well in Ottawa, picked up his game from his Columbus days.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That's the point - they absolutely fell off a cliff. This is not a good thing.

And a young player needs sheltering? Really? You shock me!

It's really not something that's overly concerning and more to do with variance. Just like Gaudreau had a pretty big difference in his splits this season. You are making something out of nothing.

I mention it because the article comes across as Zibanejad is going to step in and play against other teams top lines.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ofc some players will turn out great but its 95% luck after the 1st or atleast the 2nd round. So maybe 1 late pick turn into an elite player every 2nd year? Its not the way teams build championship teams. Pens, LA and Chi all have top picks leading them to championships. My point isnt that you cant find good players late in the draft, if you wanna win, you pretty much have to tank in todays nhl.

And where's Edmonton's cup? Hell where are their playoffs!? They now have had 4 #1 overall picks. And while they're likely finally hoping to go in the right direction, they just picked in the top 10 again for the 9th time in 10 years, with the vast majority of those being very early picks.

As for LAs wins... how is it "tanking" to build their teams, when they only had 1 early pick in Doughty? They had 3 top 5 picks, 1 of which was a bust, and the other who never played a game for LA.

But yeah, gotta have those top picks. :laugh:

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
The vast majority of Rangers fans posting in this thread are guys who are sad to see a fan favorite go. Brassard is definitely flawed defensively and requires sheltered zone starts to thrive. Check out his 2016 home/road splits:

Home 40GP | 20G | 21A | 41P | +17
Road 40GP | 7G | 10A | 17P | -5

Now do the same with Zibanejad.

You mean the part where Zibanejad scored pretty much the same on the road and at home, whereas Brassard was a PPG at home vs. a 30-point player on the road? Or are you going to throw the +/- stats of a 22-year-old player on a team that finished with the 12th worst record in the league at me? (If so, you may want to look at Brassard's +/- as late as his 24 year old season with CLB - at which point, by the way, he was still three years away from 50P, and four years away from 20G.)

The numbers were too ugly to post, eh? For the record:

Zibanejad's splits for 2015-16:

Then can come everyone's subjective interpretation of the numbers once the raw data has been presented equally.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Then can come everyone's subjective interpretation of the numbers once the raw data has been presented equally.

Zibanejad 2014/2015

Home 41GP 15G 15A 30P +1
Away 39GP 5G 11A 16P -1

Brassard 2014/2015

Home 41GP 13G 18A 31P +11
Away 38GP 6G 23A 29P -2

There's really nothing you can take away from home/away splits.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Trying to figure out which way he meant that. Either

1) NYR have a deep offense and so Zib wont play the first line or

2) NYR have a terrible offense and consequently Zib wont produce points at a "1C" level.

Comes down to the semantics of what somebody's interpretation of "1C" means. Is it literal or figurative.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Uh, did you read what I wrote?

No, not at all - I was well aware of them, but didn't feel the need to actually post and format the numbers since I thought what I was saying was clear enough. Which it was: but for the +/- (on a non-playoff team), he was pretty much the same on the road and at home. As opposed to Brassard who was a completely different player on the road. And again, one is a KID, whereas the other is a VETERAN.

But, if you want me to, I'll go ahead and add these to my post. Happy?

Group Chat Legend*

Zib is going from a better offense on a young rising team to a worse offense and a team on the decline

he will be the half 1C the Rangers have had this entire time in Stepan and Brassard - he wont be a true 1C

dont get me wrong the Rangers won the trade because they got younger and a pick. but he wont be a true 1C for them

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
so Zibby showing up for 20 games (1/4 of the season) is your argument as to him not being a problem?

Ryan looks 5x better anytime he is with Turris ...so does Stone

the problem is Zibanejad not Ryan

Macarthur - Turris - Ryan is a really good line

I have yet to see anyone including Stone Ryan Hoffman work really well with Zibby.

Zibby showing up in games that don't matter?

The problem with zibby is his vision is avg at best so he doesn't utilize his linemates like pageau does. He also needs to use his frame more to protect the puck

Previous talk about Zibby before the trade. He is polarizing on the sens board

Seems like sens management felt the same way

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
All the Sens fans saying Zib will frustrate us... I think this is all about perception. Remember, for us, this is a guy who already is a second line center and might become a first line one. But no one in Rangers land is EXPECTING that he'll become one. The dominant expectation is what he already is, as opposed to what he could be. Perception is a little different when you aren't the team that drafted the player 6th overall.

Expectations wasn't what was frustrating about Zibanejad. We all accepted years ago, when he was drafted, that he was extremely raw and would take awhile to breakout. We compared him to Koivu in that sense. Sens fans have been pretty happy with his stats throughout his career. On paper we've been happy.

Its his conditioning, look of disinterest, inability to mesh with others and disappearance to start every season that was frustrating. He's been a low energy, low impact player overall. He puts up point but thats all he brings. Below average defensively and not the smartest decision maker with the puck. Two seasons ago he came into camp with added muscle... but was actually out of shape and lost noticeable amount of speed and acceleration. Not to say he's slow. He plays like a winger but gets worse on the wing. He also lacks vision and play making ability that 1st liners have. He's not 'dumb' but IQ is not a strength.

Luckily for the Rangers, his strengths are a perfect match for Zuccarello. Stick Zibanejad on the PP point for the entire season and let him get a ton of sheltered offensive minutes with Zuccarello, and he'll score atleast 25 goals. He's got a serious powerful shot and will go to the net. Wrist, snap and slap are all powerful but lack accuracy. Release speed could be better. Despite his annoyances, a lot of Sens fans didn't want him traded because he's got a high ceiling.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ottawa has some stud center prospects, if anything, based on the above, he'd pick Ottawa.

One thing a prized young UFA should never do is pick a budget team. Why be on a team that can't afford to be good long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad