Confirmed with Link: [NYR/NSH] Michael Del Zotto for Kevin Klein

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Klein is a really good defenseman. His contract runs out at an ideal time and he's cheap.

Honestly, I'd pair him with McD and put Staal with Girardi. I'm loving this trade. And I really liked DZ.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Couldn't get a draft pick with him? Rights to radulov? Filip Forsberg?

You're expecting way too much for a defenseman having a bad season.

No player on this team except Kreider, McD, Stepan, and maybe Staal get you Forsberg.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Klein is a Stralman type defenseman. Solid minute eater whose played top 4 minutes in Nashville... but never when their defense had depth.

Not much of an upside to this trade. DZ gets to go play with either Weber or Jones. I'm gonna miss DZ, there isn't any upside to this trade at all from the Rangers.

Klein is signed for term so the Rangers can offset a loss on RHD if it comes down to that.

Trade is a lateral value trade today for both players, but DZ has been and was the better player and is 6 years younger.

I do like that the sticks are going to be lined up on defense, but this wasn't the return I was expecting.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Another level of insurance if they decide to trade Girardi.

No idea about Klein, but seems to be relatively well regarded by West fans. MDZ had some good performances here, but clearly wore out his welcome, and despite what a lot think, doesn't seem like he's going to grow much more.

BarbaraAlphanse

Who cares that he scored 37 points at 19 years old, then 41 points at 21 years old? He gives the puck away sometimes. If only he were used in a way to minimize his liabilities...like, I don't know, being on the third pairing and getting the easiest match ups or something.

:shakehead

The guy wasn't what we needed. He didn't have it up there. AV likes smart players. His fate was sealed before the season started.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
meh. although klein is older, when his contract expires del zotto will have already been an UFA for a year or 2. del zotto is the younger asset but klein is the one that is locked up.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Also, Islanders fans on the main board are unhappy that we have Klein now. Good enough for me.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Klein's a solid, tough D-man who can slot on the 2nd D pairing. For now, the D is balanced. Again, with Stralman also a pending UFA, if you retain Girardi, your top 4 is still under contract. They did sell low on MDZ given where his value was leading into the summer.

Dec 13, 2010
Klein is not a 6/7. Should be a decent #4 option locked up at a good hit. Maybe we let Stralman go in the summer now.

On THIS team he is. At best you'd call him the 5 right now, but our top 4 is much deeper than most other in the league. He could be a 4 on a lot of other teams.

His contract is really good for a steady defenseman who doesn't get hurt often and is only 29 (not 30, he JUST turned 29. He's still in his prime).

Del Zotto's upside is debatable but right now he is an absolutely terrible player. Are you going to re-sign DZ for the ~$3mil+ he'll command as an RFA? No. So why not get rid of him? Let John Moore get comfortable on the side he's played his entire career until this year, and let Klein be your defensive guy on that pairing. It makes perfect sense. This move is so much better than the "I've never seen Klein, but I don't like this trade!" crowd can even imagine right now.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
You're expecting way too much for a defenseman having a bad season.

No player on this team except Kreider, McD, Stepan, and maybe Staal get you Forsberg.
Exactly. Fans actually think ANY team would have given up a 1st round pick for DZ who is having a terrible season. Look i would love to rip off other teams like we ripped off the Habs for macdonough BUT it doenst happen often. Klein is a good experienced d-man who has a good cap hit for 4 more years

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The upside of this deal is that we get a decent defensive defenseman on a long, long term deal for a relatively low number, who can play the right side.

The downside is that this is far from a Goligoski return. But for the role MDZ was playing, not on the PP, this makes more sense. With McDonagh running the power play Del Zotto's last useful card to this team had been discarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad