Proposal: NYR/MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I also think Buch still has a role to play, especially if Fast walks.... Going into next season with Kakko-Gauthier-Kravy as your top 3 RW is a recipe for disaster.

I like Buch, I like the chemistry of KZB and I think the value is being way undersold 46 points in 68 games is a good pace and he visibly improved the physical side of his game this year, looked like one of our best skaters in the play in round.
he won't play on the 3rd line with who, Strome as center ?

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
I'd be surprised if Buch is traded pre-draft and/or even until the deadline. The team has no one proven at RW.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
JT Miller had 47 points in 75 games with the Lightning prior to his off season trade for a 1st, 3rd, and goalie throw in at age 26 on a great affordable deal.

Pavel Buchnevich has 46 points in 68 games being a year younger than Miller. He's an RFA who is looking at a similar $5.25M AAV contract after next season.

Ignoring Tampa's cap crunch last summer and the Rangers space and option this year, we'll take a 1st, 3rd for Buchenvich alone.

The VAN 2020 1st was a really good one that had the possibility of being a high pick, I'd say the 16th OV is fairly close.

Why would we trade the equivalent of a 1st (22OV), 1st, 3rd, LD prospect the Rangers desperately need, for a 1st (16OV), 2nd, and 2nd?

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Reading from Habs fans that they need help on the wing.

NYR receives 16th overall pick, Montreal's second rounder and Chicago's 2nd rounder

Montreal receives 22nd overall pick, Buchnevich and Reunanen.

Buch doesn’t have that value.

22+ 2nd= 16
Buch = 2nd

22+ Buch=16

Montreal doesn’t need wingers like him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is completely shocking.

Yeah I know--Buchnevich is a good player and he was still making improvements last year. It's like every year he's better at this and/or that. Year to year he seems to get a little stronger and he's not afraid to get physically involved. He puts the body on people more.....and he's got great hands. Consistency is an issue but consistency is an issue for about 75% of NHL players. Personally I like him as a player and he's a good teammate.

Reactions: klingsor

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
he won't play on the 3rd line with who, Strome as center ?

I see no reason why we would move away from Kreider-Zibs-Buch immediately, sure eventually Laf/Kakko might move up or Kreider might shift sides. But I think if Buch is still here after the offseason KZB is kept together for the time being.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Canadiens fans might look at Domi as better than Buchnevich but I don't think Rangers fans see it that way. And Buchnevich is not a problem for his team---Domi seems to be and that's why I'd prefer to steer clear of Max anyway.

As for the original deal it's not terrible value wise but I think the Rangers would rather keep Buchnevich than trade him for picks. That said on draft day if someone falls to 16 that we really wanted I'd be open to doing it.

2019-20 Domi & 2019-20 Buchnevich were pretty close. Domi went on a tear in December, but Buchnevich was a PPG player in his last 21 games which is majorly impressive. I don't think a lot of fans outside of the Rangers realize how well he was playing. Obviously 2018-19 Domi had a breakout year but unable to follow up on it, it does leave you with question marks. Much like how many Ranger fans see Deangelo as a power house offensive machine. He did great in 2018-19 so there is reason to believe he'll keep building on his success but until he puts up a consecutive 60 point season, I don't see other NHL fans recognizing him or giving him credit. Domi is a great player with potential but Buch is too. That's why I think they are pretty close. I'd be amused at the thought of the kids of Tie Domi and Claude Lemiuex playing on the same line though. We would just need Brady Tkachuk to complete a nasty-sons line. haha, ok jk.
  • I think Domi and Buch are both worth two 2nds or a late 1st. Neither alone are going to be worth as much as a mid 1st like the 16th.
  • Domi is currently a RFA. 25 years old. Previous AAV of $3.15M
  • Buchnevich's current cap hit at $3.25M. RFA in 2021. also 25 years old.
  • So a lot of value could shift in that Domi might sign a very cost controlled contract extension. If for some reason he's getting a 7 years $45M contract but is only producing at his more normal 40-50 points then he suddenly drops in value IMO. UNLESS he starts playing like it's 2018 in which case his contract becomes quite the value. But no one knows what he's gonna bring. Buchnevich - if he continues off where he left off could also be looking at quite a contract bump. So acquiring him might also put yourself in the seat of having to pony up for him. But again, no one knows.
  • So even in terms of age, contract, etc. I'm seeing them as both pretty close. Based on past accomplishments, I think Domi would have a slight edge but I don't think Habs fans should overlook Buch. The two are closer than one might initially imagine.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
2019-20 Domi & 2019-20 Buchnevich were pretty close. Domi went on a tear in December, but Buchnevich was a PPG player in his last 21 games which is majorly impressive. I don't think a lot of fans outside of the Rangers realize how well he was playing. Obviously 2018-19 Domi had a breakout year but unable to follow up on it, it does leave you with question marks. Much like how many Ranger fans see Deangelo as a power house offensive machine. He did great in 2018-19 so there is reason to believe he'll keep building on his success but until he puts up a consecutive 60 point season, I don't see other NHL fans recognizing him or giving him credit. Domi is a great player with potential but Buch is too. That's why I think they are pretty close. I'd be amused at the thought of the kids of Tie Domi and Claude Lemiuex playing on the same line though. We would just need Brady Tkachuk to complete a nasty-sons line. haha, ok jk.
  • I think Domi and Buch are both worth two 2nds or a late 1st. Neither alone are going to be worth as much as a mid 1st like the 16th.
  • Domi is currently a RFA. 25 years old. Previous AAV of $3.15M
  • Buchnevich's current cap hit at $3.25M. RFA in 2021. also 25 years old.
  • So a lot of value could shift in that Domi might sign a very cost controlled contract extension. If for some reason he's getting a 7 years $45M contract but is only producing at his more normal 40-50 points then he suddenly drops in value IMO. UNLESS he starts playing like it's 2018 in which case his contract becomes quite the value. But no one knows what he's gonna bring. Buchnevich - if he continues off where he left off could also be looking at quite a contract bump. So acquiring him might also put yourself in the seat of having to pony up for him. But again, no one knows.
  • So even in terms of age, contract, etc. I'm seeing them as both pretty close. Based on past accomplishments, I think Domi would have a slight edge but I don't think Habs fans should overlook Buch. The two are closer than one might initially imagine.

There is a perception out there that Domi wore out his welcome in Arizona and is doing the same in Montreal. Maybe that's unfair but that's one of the reasons I've lost interest in bringing him on board. I think also as well that Domi is not the physical force that a lot of people think he is. He can fight alright especially for someone his size but he's not a guy who runs around hitting guys and that's an easy stat to check. He's not his father.

DeAngelo kind of shares that same quality--really good at fighting--hardly hits anyone. He's not physically strong enough to be effective at that kind of game. Which is to say being a capable fighter does not necessarily make a physical player. Brendan Lemieux does both but he's not a particularly smart player and takes too many dumb penalties. I don't want him to stop playing physical hockey--I would like to see smarter play and a more disciplined game.

Between Buchnevich and Domi I'd hang on to Buch.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Between Buchnevich and Domi I'd hang on to Buch.

I think for a message board forum, that is largely up to the poster's own opinions. I just wanted to state that given all things, Domi and Buchnevich should be very close in value. In the eyes of some, Domi's perceived attitude tip the scale against what his previous accomplishments might have gained.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. The Rangers dont need extra draft picks at this point
I think the Rangers would love to get those picks but moving Buch creates a giant hole. That is something they aren't willing to do. They'd do it if they thought they had some sort of plan to replace Buch's spot. I think the consensus is that is pretty unlikely but you never know with these crafty GMs.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Canadiens fans might look at Domi as better than Buchnevich but I don't think Rangers fans see it that way. And Buchnevich is not a problem for his team---Domi seems to be and that's why I'd prefer to steer clear of Max anyway.

As for the original deal it's not terrible value wise but I think the Rangers would rather keep Buchnevich than trade him for picks. That said on draft day if someone falls to 16 that we really wanted I'd be open to doing it.
Domi is a problem? what article can you link us that says hes a problem for the habs? any insider say that? what proof do you have? or are you just making stuff up to degrade Domi's trade value? my god just say you don't like Domi and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad