Proposal: NYR/MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Reading from Habs fans that they need help on the wing.

NYR receives 16th overall pick, Montreal's second rounder and Chicago's 2nd rounder

Montreal receives 22nd overall pick, Buchnevich and Reunanen.

Reunanen I believe is NHL ready. Some Rangers fans are penciling him in. I just don't think he will play for NY because they have a couple 5'11 d guys already. Buchnevich is what he is. He should round out to be a 55 point wing. So, it's a matter if you think you stand a substantial chance of drafting a better player with those 2nd rounders. Historical, the odds are against it. Rangers drop a little salary and probably would be better off going with more of a role player on their third line with their wings. Of course, this is HF where most posters value second rounders as they were first rounders. I'd take the sure thing in a player always over a second rounder if the player wasn't old. Buchnevich with Lafreniere coming just doesn't fit in any longer. I'm sure they would keep him if they didn't win the lottery.

Reactions: bernmeister

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I mean, I don't hate it. The drop between 16th and 22nd isn't that large in this draft. I mean there's a significant drop after 10-11 OA, but the rest of the 1st round is pretty much all over the place.

I like Buchnevich. Would NYR do a 2nd + 3rd for him alone instead?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Reading from Habs fans that they need help on the wing.

NYR receives 16th overall pick, Montreal's second rounder and Chicago's 2nd rounder

Montreal receives 22nd overall pick, Buchnevich and Reunanen.

Reunanen I believe is NHL ready. Some Rangers fans are penciling him in. I just don't think he will play for NY because they have a couple 5'11 d guys already. Buchnevich is what he is. He should round out to be a 55 point wing. So, it's a matter if you think you stand a substantial chance of drafting a better player with those 2nd rounders. Historical, the odds are against it. Rangers drop a little salary and probably would be better off going with more of a role player on their third line with their wings. Of course, this is HF where most posters value second rounders as they were first rounders. I'd take the sure thing in a player always over a second rounder if the player wasn't old. Buchnevich with Lafreniere coming just doesn't fit in any longer. I'm sure they would keep him if they didn't win the lottery.
I think there's some good to this but I don't see MTL having interest in Reunanen.

Chiarot
Edmundson
Romanov
Kulak
Mete
Would all be above him on the left side. Even if he plays RD too (as does Romanov and possibly Kulak) you'd have Weber, Petry, Juulsen and Fleury above him.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
It isn’t terrible as a Habs fan but we don’t need another LHD.

How about:

:habs
Pavel Buchnevich
22nd overall pick

:rangers
Max Domi
2nd round (#56)

Reactions: bbny

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I’m not sure what to think about Buchnevich. Is he mostly playing rw or lw??

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Pass on Domi. Not the center I want. It's not terrible for the Rangers. Buchnevich is never playing in the Rangers top 6 any longer with Kakko, Lafreniere, Panarin and Kreider on the wings. He's not what you want in a 3rd or 4th line wing. Reunanen I wouldn't pass on if I was Montreal. Worst case scenario, he plays well, you can move him for a piece you do need down the line. Or you decide you keep him and move somebody else and he's cost effective for a while. Scouting reports on him are pretty solid. Some Rangers like Savant can't accept that Buchnevich is history. Lafreniere sealed that deal.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I’m not sure what to think about Buchnevich. Is he mostly playing rw or lw??

I think he could play both. He has good size as well. You put him with a good center and he has some chemistry with that center, he should get you 50+ points a season. He just doesn't fit in NY any longer with Lafreniere coming. He's only 25.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Considering Buch almost went for a first rounder on his own last year and only improved his stock this season it'd make more sense to look for a single high first rather than a slight trade up and a couple of seconds.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
The Rangers under normal circumstances would keep Buchnevich and Reunanen but it's not a normal circumstance. For starters they have hit on a ton of defenseman with either picks or deals. They acquired TDA and Lindgren in deals. They drafted Reunanen who they pegged as a first round talent but fell do to an injury in his draft year. They nailed the Keane pick in the third round and dealt him for Gauthier. They took Miller and Lundkvist late in the first round. They seemed to hit on the Zac Jones pick in the third round who had a very good rookie year in college. Robertson they took in the second round looks like a keeper as well. They are going to move some out plus they need to stock pile a few extra picks every year because they are going to have a ton of cap taken up by 5-6 players sooner than later.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Considering Buch almost went for a first rounder on his own last year and only improved his stock this season it'd make more sense to look for a single high first rather than a slight trade up and a couple of seconds.

That slight trade up is a big deal if you have a player or two that you think will fit perfectly into your system that you don't think will be there at 22.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Plus, Kreider is a guy that could be an elite third liner as he gets older. Kravtsov looks like he went from being a confused kid to a man ready to make a splash. You put Kravtsov in the top 6, Kreider moves down to a third line. He stands in front of the PP, plays the PK, things which take their toll on a player. So as he gets older, he can transition into that role. Is Buchnevich going to be better than Kravtsov in 2 years? Sure doesn't look it from what Kravtsov is now doing in the KHL on a lousy team. Buchnevich doesn't fit here.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Really don't see the Rangers giving away Buch just to move up 6 picks and nab a couple 2nd rounders.

Reactions: eco's bones

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I mean, I don't hate it. The drop between 16th and 22nd isn't that large in this draft. I mean there's a significant drop after 10-11 OA, but the rest of the 1st round is pretty much all over the place.

I like Buchnevich. Would NYR do a 2nd + 3rd for him alone instead?

agree with overall post, value of Buch is determined by market, somebody would give late 1st or move up a 1st.
Those would be pref to 2nd + 3rd.
If costs of moving up in 1st are prohibitive, then multiple picks can work

Counter:
Buch + NYR + DAL 2020 3rds
for
MON, CHI, STL 202o 2nds

I think he could play both. He has good size as well. You put him with a good center and he has some chemistry with that center, he should get you 50+ points a season. He just doesn't fit in NY any longer with Lafreniere coming. He's only 25.
You are correct, sir!
Can and has played both. Lefty shot usually on RW, w/Kreider at LW a common bookend. But can do either.

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
agree with overall post, value of Buch is determined by market, somebody would give late 1st or move up a 1st.
Those would be pref to 2nd + 3rd.
If costs of moving up in 1st are prohibitive, then multiple picks can work

Counter:
Buch + NYR + DAL 2020 3rds
for
MON, CHI, STL 202o 2nds

You are correct, sir!
Can and has played both. Lefty shot usually on RW, w/Kreider at LW a common bookend. But can do either.
I would rather just do Buch for 2 x 2nds then!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Pass on Domi. Not the center I want. It's not terrible for the Rangers. Buchnevich is never playing in the Rangers top 6 any longer with Kakko, Lafreniere, Panarin and Kreider on the wings. He's not what you want in a 3rd or 4th line wing. Reunanen I wouldn't pass on if I was Montreal. Worst case scenario, he plays well, you can move him for a piece you do need down the line. Or you decide you keep him and move somebody else and he's cost effective for a while. Scouting reports on him are pretty solid. Some Rangers like Savant can't accept that Buchnevich is history. Lafreniere sealed that deal.
You don’t trade your only top line capable RW to move up six spots in the draft. I don’t think Buchnevich is untouchable but, like most of the other video game trades that you post, it shows that there is no basic understanding of player value.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
I also think Buch still has a role to play, especially if Fast walks.... Going into next season with Kakko-Gauthier-Kravy as your top 3 RW is a recipe for disaster.

I like Buch, I like the chemistry of KZB and I think the value is being way undersold 46 points in 68 games is a good pace and he visibly improved the physical side of his game this year, looked like one of our best skaters in the play in round.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would rather just do Buch for 2 x 2nds then!

Well, we can quibble/haggle, two 3rds vs the late St, Lou 2nd...
How bout this:
counter-counter:
Buch + DAL 3rd
for
MON 2021 1st

cost of delayed gratification

could also do separate deal on
Juulsen
for
later cond pick depending on his health, production etc

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010