Confirmed with Link: NYR make changes to Skills, Performance and Development staff

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Weren’t the Predators injury prone lately? And why did they keep Marc Ciacco around? Who is he married to Drury’s sister or cousin? Only 2 hires I am concerned about.

There could be a myriad of reasons. Ciacco may have a guaranteed contract or a non-attractive option to let him go in his deal. The Rangers may like him for a specific new role that he may be better suited for. Etc.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Weren’t the Predators injury prone lately? And why did they keep Marc Ciacco around? Who is he married to Drury’s sister or cousin? Only 2 hires I am concerned about.

I can't really find anything for the latter years of his stay in Nashville but from 2009-2016 (all of which were under his watch), Nashville was towards the bottom in man games lost in the league

Rangers and Chicago were 1 and 2 already though.

I wouldn't really say that this was necessarily a "good" thing though. The Rangers have been notorious for rushing guys back too quickly or playing players who should probably be resting. They really bungled the Shattenkirk situation (they tried to rush him back from his knee injury and it flared up on him, he hasn't been the same since. It was dumb to let him play on it to begin with) and are lucky that it hasn't bitten them in the ass more often - They rushed Staal back from PCS, Kreider back from TOS surgery and Lindgren last year (where he played 1+ periods before getting hurt again) just to name a few.

They've dodged the "catastrophic" injury bug for a while now and those things aren't really driven by off ice preparation or treatment, it's partially luck and it's partially up to players not putting themselves in a position to get smashed.

Unless Ciacco is going to Hartford, he's basically on the payroll to just be on the payroll.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I can't really find anything for the latter years of his stay in Nashville but from 2009-2016 (all of which were under his watch), Nashville was towards the bottom in man games lost in the league

I wouldn't really say that this was necessarily a "good" thing though. The Rangers have been notorious for rushing guys back too quickly or playing players who should probably be resting. They really bungled the Shattenkirk situation (they tried to rush him back from his knee injury and it flared up on him, he hasn't been the same since. It was dumb to let him play on it to begin with) and are lucky that it hasn't bitten them in the ass more often - They rushed Staal back from PCS, Kreider back from TOS surgery and Lindgren last year (where he played 1+ periods before getting hurt again) just to name a few.

They've dodged the "catastrophic" injury bug for a while now and those things aren't really driven by off ice preparation or treatment, it's partially luck and it's partially up to players not putting themselves in a position to get smashed.

Unless Ciacco is going to Hartford, he's basically on the payroll to just be on the payroll.

according to that graph, we can only get worse.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Paul Mara as a facial hair advisor.

Maybe he can stop Ryan Lindgren from gluing whatever he finds under the men’s room urinal to his face.

Ryan Clowe as a player contract advisor. Any pending UFA with retirement levels of injuries, advise them to sign longterm deals with the Devils (he made ~25M with NJD for <60 total games)

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I wonder how much is the Rangers rushing players back and how much is them just not seriously evaluating players and instead going on the "player says they're good so we'll let them play"

IIRC that's basically what happened with Shattenkirk. He wanted to play and "made" the team play him and then got injured worse, tried to play through it, got really bad, but the team didn't sit him down and make him recover.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

NHLInjuryViz

Feb 12, 2020

MGL for the Predators and Rangers since 2000/01 shown here, with the eight years Hosler was Head Athletic Trainer in Nashville boxed.

1692995205511.png

Nobody should be solely attributing a team's health to the training staff (but watch it happen when the Rangers inevitably have more injuries than last year and the Canadiens inevitably have fewer) and as others have said, low MGL numbers aren't always a sign of perfect health in the first place, but if nothing else, interesting that Hosler and the Predators parted ways after their only bad injury season in that time.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
MGL for the Predators and Rangers since 2000/01 shown here, with the eight years Hosler was Head Athletic Trainer in Nashville boxed.

View attachment 738757

Nobody should be solely attributing a team's health to the training staff (but watch it happen when the Rangers inevitably have more injuries than last year and the Canadiens inevitably have fewer) and as others have said, low MGL numbers aren't always a sign of perfect health in the first place, but if nothing else, interesting that Hosler and the Predators parted ways after their only bad injury season in that time.
A lot of politics here. Laviolette was with Hosler in Nashville. Something off ice happened that drove this change. We may never find out. Perhaps it goes back as far to when Drury was a player. The Rangers have been healthier than most over the last few years.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Ramsey wasn't all bad. The "best in the business" tag though let's be real, it's all spin and NY media hype.

He made some mistakes.

A lot of politics here. Laviolette was with Hosler in Nashville. Something off ice happened that drove this change. We may never find out. Perhaps it goes back as far to when Drury was a player. The Rangers have been healthier than most over the last few years.
It is heavily implied he leaked insider information. Was on this boards and Larry Brooks in a Tweet Q&A confirmed it wasn't on ice related.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Healthier on paper. How much of that is the result of the Rangers allowing players to play through injury when they should have let them recover?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Paul Mara as a facial hair advisor.

Maybe he can stop Ryan Lindgren from gluing whatever he finds under the men’s room urinal to his face.

Ryan Clowe as a player contract advisor. Any pending UFA with retirement levels of injuries, advise them to sign longterm deals with the Devils (he made ~25M with NJD for <60 total games)
Girardi as offense advisor.

McIlrath as skating coach.

Gaborik as defense advisor.

The hell with it: make McIlrath all three.

• Haha
Reactions: savebyrichter94

NHLInjuryViz

Feb 12, 2020
Healthier on paper. How much of that is the result of the Rangers allowing players to play through injury when they should have let them recover?
Anecdotally, feels like there’s a lot of that and Flames fans suggest the same with their recent very low numbers (Sean Monahan, for one, was known to be playing through a significant injury a couple of years ago).

Still, impossible to really say whether that’s going on more than for other teams though. There is a reasonably clear pattern of some teams having more MGL once they fall out of contention (i.e. sitting players when they should or shutting them down for season-ending surgery), if not outright tanking, so it’s definitely not all bad/good luck.

Reactions: frozenrubber

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW I hardly think Ciacco is the reason that Lafreniere or Kakko haven't put up more points. Some of the reason is both are down in the lineup and they don't get a lot of power play time. What a somewhat (at least until last year) obscure Rangers employee does when we lift the lid a little bit is hard to say.....but I think it's safe to say that this one guy is not such a gremlin that he makes or breaks or even impacts greatly the team's overall success. So much of this just sounds like scapegoating to me.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
FWIW I hardly think Ciacco is the reason that Lafreniere or Kakko haven't put up more points. Some of the reason is both are down in the lineup and they don't get a lot of power play time. What a somewhat (at least until last year) obscure Rangers employee does when we lift the lid a little bit is hard to say.....but I think it's safe to say that this one guy is not such a gremlin that he makes or breaks or even impacts greatly the team's overall success. So much of this just sounds like scapegoating to me.
He's not the main reason. The issue is look at his track record going back to Arizona of top ten players and how many of them have made a true impact in the league. Rangers have had overpassing/lack of shooting and fundamental skating problems for years. He's the head skills guy, there's ownership involved.

Reactions: Kords

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad