Confirmed with Link: NYR make changes to Skills, Performance and Development staff

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I mean that’s pretty normal with coaching changes
I think it’s more important that the head coach has a real picture of what these coaches are hired and what they’ll be doing
It’s not like Housely and muse were in Washington either

Perhaps that was why Housley and Muse previously working with Laviolette escapes me, because they weren't in DC with him. He sees and the younger guys needing more divilipments and reached out to them, whereas his Caps were a veteran-laden squad.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Perhaps that was why Housley and Muse previously working with Laviolette escapes me, because they weren't in DC with him. He sees and the younger guys needing more divilipments and reached out to them, whereas his Caps were a veteran-laden squad.

Eh I think this is more of a Drury thing.

They're stuck in a tough spot where they have these veteran players and young guys who haven't gotten the ice time that most young guys in their position tend to get. It's a tough sell to hire a younger coach who has a development background as the head guy so instead he went with the veteran HC and they hired more developmental assistants who Lavi was already familiar with.

It's probably the safest route he could have gone and it's better than what I thought would happen. I'm still pissed that we're in a position where they're in "salvage" mode because of the sins of the summer of 2019.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Eh I think this is more of a Drury thing.

They're stuck in a tough spot where they have these veteran players and young guys who haven't gotten the ice time that most young guys in their position tend to get. It's a tough sell to hire a younger coach who has a development background as the head guy so instead he went with the veteran HC and they hired more developmental assistants who Lavi was already familiar with.

It's probably the safest route he could have gone and it's better than what I thought would happen. I'm still pissed that we're in a position where they're in "salvage" mode because of the sins of the summer of 2019.

It's probably more somewhere in the middle. Drury has a say, though HCs usually have the final say in picking his staff much like dressing which players on a nightly basis. But yeah, this was the smartest path forward with the roster situation.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
We'll never know if he was a contributing factor to not getting more out of some of our younger forwards.

But at the same time, this is a results oriented business and the results aren't there. So making the change is important.

Who knows? Maybe this was a request from Lafreniere before agreeing to sign another contract.

I just hope he gets more out of not just Laf, but veteran forwards who could use some skills work too.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
To be honest maybe it's partly a reason why Laviolette was hired over trying someone else. He has some ties to coaches that Drury also liked from the USA side of things, etc.

As for AV, Quinn and Gallant...it strikes me that Sullivan is kinda running a similar system to what AV did. Basically get the puck up the ice as fast as possible for fast break offense, mostly through long passes and springing guys, etc. Sullivan just refined it more while AV stuck with something that other coaches found ways to stop.

Quinn had a system but it was pretty generic "forecheck hard" and from what we heard, he micromanaged the players too much. "take X number of strides and pass the puck, if you don't then you're benched" kind of thing. It sounds like he relaxed some of that later but he was trying to be too controllign and wasn't running a system that he got guys to buy into well enough with that attitude.
Gallant seemed to rely almost exclusively on natural chemistry between linemates instead of developing it through system and structure and had a general "play north south hockey!" without a lot of clear direction on how to achieve it to his players. Maybe vetss liked that because it gave them a lot of leeway and they always got to play with their buddies, maybe the young guys didn't because they didn't have a chance to develop chemistry with the vets and know what was expected of them.

What I'd like is a coach who has a structured system so that players know what they should be doing, what their linemates should be doing, where they are, and then be given flexibility to be creative within that general structure. I don't think Quinn or Gallant did that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't get to post much on weekdays anymore because of work (not to mention I just got back a long trip West Coast trip with weddings..not mine lol...and working East Coast hours) however when I saw this news yesterday I knew I'd fine a way to post here. This was a long time coming and Drury has proven he's not a crony but capable of seeing an error and fixing things. The fact that they are keeping Ciaccao on is very compassionate.

Some people have said I'm too angry at a simple Skills Coach but it's been a problem since his days with the Coyotes. It was overdue.

@Shesterkybomb @Amazing Kreiderman @nevesis @Machinehead @Hunter Gathers @Crease and to anyone else who realized this was a problem for a long long time....this one's for you.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
What is the issue with this guy?
Feels like the bizarro world version of the Benoit Allaire love affair.
Maybe somebody knows something I don’t, but it feels like looking for blame to attach to someone who wasn’t drafted by this team. “It’s not Lafreniere. I bet it’s the skills coach!” How much impact can that guy really have? Maybe I’m wrong and he does stink though. Change couldn’t hurt right?

Reactions: egelband

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Ramsey and Ciaccio out. Gord Murphy not retained with the rest of Uncle Fester's staff. Nice to see Drury clearing out some of the entrenched "country club" employees. I also like that he is leaning more toward the USA Hockey guys with new hires. Throughout my fandom at least, the Rangers have always done well with players coming out of the program.
Don “Drury” Corleone cleaning out the old guard.

I do think it was more drafting than development, but I don’t think development has helped very much. I don’t think guys like Kravtsov or Lias were going to become players wherever they ended up. I don’t think become studs if we have a different skills coach.

100% a fan of the US hires like you said. It seems like Drury is dialed into that world. I also think the scouting has improved, but of course jury is still out there. I like the North American kids in the 1st round if all else is equal. I think they get a more accurate picture of the player prior to the draft. They also probably have more involvement with development. I’m sure it’s easier to reach out to Othmann with the Pete’s or getting him into development camp over a kid half the world away where it’s probably tougher to come by reliable info.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Both things can be true: mediocre development and mediocre player. Adam Fox texted, called, met and worked with the same skills coaches that Alexis Lafreniere texted, called, met and worked with.

Lafreniere will be playing for his third coaching staff in his young career starting next month. Regardless of everything else, if he produces another 40-point season, the trade talks will be fired up. Personally I would still not be ready to give up on him yet, but this is a business.

It must be a little tough for Ciaccio right now. He's not officially out, but he can't work directly with prospects, bypassing the staffs overseeing them. So the organization must be sending him out on the road like a traveling salesman, going from place to place to check in on the prospects by meeting with their coaches, looking but not touching. And then having to report back to the home office while on the road to the next prospect's location. And having to spend nights at Comfort Inn Suites in his room organizing his receipts for that dreaded ginormous T&E filing upon his return to the office.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDirtyH

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Ciaccio runs his own youth camps and does personal coaching. No doubt the Rangers gig helped his personal brand, and will continue to do so under his new title. I wonder how much of his income came from the Rangers versus his side work. In any event, he will be fine, and the Rangers get to try something new. By the way, before the Rangers gig, he was skating coach for the Coyotes. Continues to make you wonder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnaby

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I can picture his first day being shown the ropes. I imagine him being incredulous at the poor state of affairs and crying himself to sleep that night after consuming a great quantity of liquor.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Ciaccio runs his own youth camps and does personal coaching. No doubt the Rangers gig helped his personal brand, and will continue to do so under his new title. I wonder how much of his income came from the Rangers versus his side work. In any event, he will be fine, and the Rangers get to try something new. By the way, before the Rangers gig, he was skating coach for the Coyotes. Continues to make you wonder.

That was the main issue with him. It was almost twenty years of misses.

And when they did the feature and Kreider basically said "he makes me laugh" my first thought was "great, so he's getting paid to be Roger Rabbit".

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That was the main issue with him. It was almost twenty years of misses.

And when they did the feature and Kreider basically said "he makes me laugh" my first thought was "great, so he's getting paid to be Roger Rabbit".

That’s basically what they’re paying Panarin for these days.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad