Confirmed with Link: NYR make changes to Skills, Performance and Development staff

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Seems like it did not take Laviolette long to see one of the major issues with this organization. See ya later Mark!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Finally!

Seems more like a do-nothing job. Like Gabe Perreault will be working and training with BC. Ciaccio can't just show up at BC's practices to coach him or Fortescue. McConnell-Barker's coaches are the Soo Greyhounds coaches. They don't have random guys affiliated with NHL organizations come into practices.

Hartford would be about the only place he'd be able to have consistent interaction with the kids, outside of something like our development camp or any other summer program. In season, all the non-AHL prospects get their coaching from their own programs. It would also be kind of weird to have a prospect-focused coach in Hartford because most of the guys down there aren't even prospects, and it seems really unlikely they'd separate them out during practices.

Just to add to this: The Rangers need permission from those teams to have a Rangers-employee even contact a player.

The only exception is when a player is under contract and loaned out (McConnell-Barker for instance) but even then, the time a guy like Ciaccio would get to work with BMB is limited and would still require an agreement with his team's coaches for there to be more involvement.

Ciaccio is on his way out. Let's hope they just have him on desk-duty.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What is the issue with this guy?
Feels like the bizarro world version of the Benoit Allaire love affair.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004

"Hmura also owns his own development program, Hmura Hockey Development, which was founded on his core principle that “being a well versed skater creates the time and space to utilize the skills that you practice day in and day out,” per his website."

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Seems like it did not take Laviolette long to see one of the major issues with this organization. See ya later Mark!
I know many weren't thrilled by Lav being hired but Im very intrigued by the staff he has been forming. No way to tell if they will be bad or great yet but I see some interesting pieces to the puzzle.

Reactions: Riche16 and ponzu4u

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know many weren't thrilled by Lav being hired but Im very intrigued by the staff he has been forming. No way to tell if they will be bad or great yet but I see some interesting pieces to the puzzle.

It's nice to finally see this organisation hire a coach and surround him with assistants that can actually help him unlike the typical head coaching hire where 3 assistants are always attached at the hip as if you're marrying a single mother of 3.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
It's nice to finally see this organisation hire a coach and surround him with assistants that can actually help him unlike the typical head coaching hire where 3 assistants are always attached at the hip as if you're marrying a single mother of 3.
That ready made family type of coaching staff won't always work when they have a problem child to deal with . Gallant staff versus Panarin.....Problem Child won that round . We'll see where Lavi goes on it with his wonderful staffing choices .

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Ramsey and Ciaccio out. Gord Murphy not retained with the rest of Uncle Fester's staff. Nice to see Drury clearing out some of the entrenched "country club" employees. I also like that he is leaning more toward the USA Hockey guys with new hires. Throughout my fandom at least, the Rangers have always done well with players coming out of the program.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Who knows if Ciaccio was the real problem, but our inability to develop F prospects has been suspect for far too long for it to be solely a scouting issue.

I say it every time a thread like this pops up, but the Rangers as an organization need to be using their financial muscle to give the team every advantage they can outside of the cap. Our facilities, team doctors, sports psychologists, skills/video coaching, development staff, nutritionists, scouting department, etc should be second to absolutely none. I don't know the inner workings of the team any more than anyone else here does, but it doesn't feel like that's always been the case.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Isn't the way this is shaping up different even for Laviolette? I don't recall a process like this where young assistant coaches who are close with many players on the roster are being deliberately hired, even for him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Muse and Housely worked with lav before in nashville , Peca was with him in Washington as a player development coach

I don’t think coaches usually just pick people they’re completely unfamiliar with as assistants which is why you tend to get the same Guys following each other

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Muse and Housely worked with lav before in nashville , Peca was with him in Washington as a player development coach

I don’t think coaches usually just pick people they’re completely unfamiliar with as assistants which is why you tend to get the same Guys following each other

Yeah, for some reason, I forgot about these points about Muse and Housley. Senior moment. So this is the sports version of a new corporate team coming in and putting its own people in positions of power.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, for some reason, I forgot about these points about Muse and Housley. Senior moment. So this is the sports version of a new corporate team coming in and putting its own people in positions of power.
I mean that’s pretty normal with coaching changes
I think it’s more important that the head coach has a real picture of what these coaches are hired and what they’ll be doing
It’s not like Housely and muse were in Washington either

Reactions: will1066

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Who knows if Ciaccio was the real problem, but our inability to develop F prospects has been suspect for far too long for it to be solely a scouting issue.

I say it every time a thread like this pops up, but the Rangers as an organization need to be using their financial muscle to give the team every advantage they can outside of the cap. Our facilities, team doctors, sports psychologists, skills/video coaching, development staff, nutritionists, scouting department, etc should be second to absolutely none. I don't know the inner workings of the team any more than anyone else here does, but it doesn't feel like that's always been the case.
I thought the knock on the rangers was that they can’t draft?
That we always draft busts.
But we also can’t develop players. These things seem contradictory.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
It's not just the young guys where this has been a problem.

It's crazy how bad even some of our top players are at passing, receiving passes, and operating in traffic.
100% true. We haven't had a coach with a real system since AV. Say what you want about how bad his system was, but his rush offense scheme almost gave us a cup (on the back of Henrik). Quinn and Gallant were both full of platitudes about "playing the right way," but with very little discernible substance that I could tell.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
100% true. We haven't had a coach with a real system since AV. Say what you want about how bad his system was, but his rush offense scheme almost gave us a cup (on the back of Henrik). Quinn and Gallant were both full of platitudes about "playing the right way," but with very little discernible substance that I could tell.
Again... Disagree.

AV's system was garbage, BUT Torts' entrenched work ethic and 6 goalie system kept that team honest. They all knew how to play defense because of Torts, AV just took the leash off.

Reactions: we want cup

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
AV did at least have a thing even if I hated it.

Quinn and Gallant were both very generic. It's fine and dandy to want guys to play "right" but that means nothing without a clear standard to meet.

I hear about Laviolette doing the Left Wing Lock, and hell, that's basic, but at least it's something to hold guys to.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
AV did at least have a thing even if I hated it.

Quinn and Gallant were both very generic. It's fine and dandy to want guys to play "right" but that means nothing without a clear standard to meet.

I hear about Laviolette doing the Left Wing Lock, and hell, that's basic, but at least it's something to hold guys to.
Hiring Quinn with his lack of system was the worst mistake this team has ever made.
That was the perfect opportunity to hire a systems/development guy.
If that happened, I'd argue Gallant's tenure probably nets a cup.

Now we're back at square one. Our top prospects are middling, and we're back in the dreaded middle for drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad