Confirmed with Link: NYR make changes to Skills, Performance and Development staff

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He's not the main reason. The issue is look at his track record going back to Arizona of top ten players and how many of them have made a true impact in the league. Rangers have had overpassing/lack of shooting and fundamental skating problems for years. He's the head skills guy, there's ownership involved.

He probably has near zero impact and nobody even knew who he was before mid last year. There was not even a single post on HFNYR that included his name between October 2018 and June 2022 from what I can tell. Suddenly in the last 6 months or so he's become the guy to blame even though he's been with the team for 10 years with nobody ever caring.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's not the main reason. The issue is look at his track record going back to Arizona of top ten players and how many of them have made a true impact in the league. Rangers have had overpassing/lack of shooting and fundamental skating problems for years. He's the head skills guy, there's ownership involved.

Some of the issues in Arizona might be put down to bad drafting.....even mediocre draft years. If you're looking at top 10 draft picks by Arizona/Phoenix in his time there it's Blake Wheeler, Peter Mueller, Kyle Turris, Mikael Boedker and Oliver Ekman Larsson. Wheeler at the time he was taken was considered a major reach. He forced his way out of the organization before he turned pro. Mueller began his NHL career with a 54 point season and his shit went downhill from there. That's more on the player. Turris was a decent pick for where he was taken....they gave up on him before he peaked. Boedker maybe disappointing but he played over 700 NHL games. Ekman-Larsson is on the downhill now but for a while he was a really good player.

Most players have their own skating coaches or guys/gals outside their NHL organization to help them with skating etc. At the end of the day a player that really wants it is going to find a way. There's some personal drive that goes into reaching your peak. Staying at that peak is another thing. As far as Ciacco goes I just think he's a guy collecting a paycheck more than anything else but the guy that replaces him is probably not going to do much more than he does. Personally I think building core strength and conditioning/endurance is a bigger deal....most players can already skate very well.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He probably has near zero impact and nobody even knew who he was before mid last year. There was not even a single post on HFNYR that included his name between October 2018 and June 2022 from what I can tell. Suddenly in the last 6 months or so he's become the guy to blame even though he's been with the team for 10 years with nobody ever caring.
Prior to the letter, the Rangers were a competitive team and their prospects were all older and from NCAA/Europe with the exception of JT Miller. The ones who made it were solid or good enough. They almost won this way but not quite.

Once they decided to rebuild and develop, it became all about development. They hired a complete dud as coach in Quinn, and they got a 2nd and 1st overall pick who have been ok to good. To top that off, the prospects they brought in were generally younger than the "been in NCAA or Europe for 2-3 years" and have had trouble establishing themselves in the lineup or being impact players mostly up front. So we as fans began to analyze and on top of that the Rangers issues with faceoffs, overpassing, and lack of skating talent.

He was never mentioned by name prior, however there were several posters who have said the infrastructure of the organization needs to be updated years prior. That includes all the deficient areas like skills, skating, strength and conditioning, analytics, scouting, psychology.

And Drury's made a lot of changes. This is a good thing.

Once again no one here is saying that it's all his fault. Wat we're saying is he's part of the old guard and there was no reason not to make changes.

Some of the issues in Arizona might be put down to bad drafting.....even mediocre draft years. If you're looking at top 10 draft picks by Arizona/Phoenix in his time there it's Blake Wheeler, Peter Mueller, Kyle Turris, Mikael Boedker and Oliver Ekman Larsson. Wheeler at the time he was taken was considered a major reach. He forced his way out of the organization before he turned pro. Mueller began his NHL career with a 54 point season and his shit went downhill from there. That's more on the player. Turris was a decent pick for where he was taken....they gave up on him before he peaked. Boedker maybe disappointing but he played over 700 NHL games. Ekman-Larsson is on the downhill now but for a while he was a really good player.

Most players have their own skating coaches or guys/gals outside their NHL organization to help them with skating etc. At the end of the day a player that really wants it is going to find a way. There's some personal drive that goes into reaching your peak. Staying at that peak is another thing. As far as Ciacco goes I just think he's a guy collecting a paycheck more than anything else but the guy that replaces him is probably not going to do much more than he does. Personally I think building core strength and conditioning/endurance is a bigger deal....most players can already skate very well.
He's had two cracks at it and not done well. It's not all his fault, time to modernize the organization. He still has a job with the org so honestly, no reason to defend or care about him anymore (like Quinn).

Reactions: MrAlmost

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Said it before, but I don't think we overpass as much we suck at passing. We wouldn't have to pass again if the first pass did anything to the defense.

Reactions: effen

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Anything to avoid blaming the only people whos skates touch the ice during games. Unless they are 28+ or make too much money.

Again, Chris Kreider scored 52 goals on the back of net front work that can only be practiced religiously with a skills coach but somehow the skills coach is a total bozo and the reason guys who have skated for 15-20 years before meeting him have issues skating shooting or passing.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Prior to the letter, the Rangers were a competitive team and their prospects were all older and from NCAA/Europe with the exception of JT Miller. The ones who made it were solid or good enough. They almost won this way but not quite.

Once they decided to rebuild and develop, it became all about development. They hired a complete dud as coach in Quinn, and they got a 2nd and 1st overall pick who have been ok to good. To top that off, the prospects they brought in were generally younger than the "been in NCAA or Europe for 2-3 years" and have had trouble establishing themselves in the lineup or being impact players mostly up front. So we as fans began to analyze and on top of that the Rangers issues with faceoffs, overpassing, and lack of skating talent.

He was never mentioned by name prior, however there were several posters who have said the infrastructure of the organization needs to be updated years prior. That includes all the deficient areas like skills, skating, strength and conditioning, analytics, scouting, psychology.

And Drury's made a lot of changes. This is a good thing.

Once again no one here is saying that it's all his fault. Wat we're saying is he's part of the old guard and there was no reason not to make changes.

He's had two cracks at it and not done well. It's not all his fault, time to modernize the organization. He still has a job with the org so honestly, no reason to defend or care about him anymore (like Quinn).

What gets me is all summer long we've been hearing that this guy is the reason why are kids aren't developing and/or why we underachieved last season.....and I don't see it that way. I really can't comment on how well he does his job if only because I don't see much apart from the odd video clip he's been in but I don't think this guy was ever that important in the scheme of things where he made a whole lot of difference as far as wins/losses in the standings or how many points Laf or Kakko were putting up and it's not likely his replacement will either. As for Kakko and Laf's production....a lot of that comes down to usage. Some of it comes down to those two fighting their way into the top 6 or their coach showing more faith in them.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
What gets me is all summer long we've been hearing that this guy is the reason why are kids aren't developing and/or why we underachieved last season.....and I don't see it that way. I really can't comment on how well he does his job if only because I don't see much apart from the odd video clip he's been in but I don't think this guy was ever that important in the scheme of things where he made a whole lot of difference as far as wins/losses in the standings or how many points Laf or Kakko were putting up and it's not likely his replacement will either. As for Kakko and Laf's production....a lot of that comes down to usage. Some of it comes down to those two fighting their way into the top 6 or their coach showing more faith in them.
I don't think anyone says the Rangers don't beat the Devils or win a Cup is all linked to Mark Ciaccao. What they are saying is he's not helping (at most a net neutral) and part of an old way of doing things/time to modernize.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think anyone says the Rangers don't beat the Devils or win a Cup is all linked to Mark Ciaccao. What they are saying is he's not helping (at most a net neutral) and part of an old way of doing things/time to modernize.
You may not be saying that, but there are absolutely a large number of people here who have been portraying Ciaccio as some sort of massive impediment to our young players' success. I had to look him up in the directory because I had forgotten who he was, but then sometime last season out of nowhere we had like 20 people in every thread talking about how this guy MUST go if we're EVER to develop going players. :laugh:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You may not be saying that, but there are absolutely a large number of people here who have been portraying Ciaccio as some sort of massive impediment to our young players' success. I had to look him up in the directory because I had forgotten who he was, but then sometime last season out of nowhere we had like 20 people in every thread talking about how this guy MUST go if we're EVER to develop going players. :laugh:
Sadly, that's a coping mechanism when your #2 overall & #1 overall haven't come close to expectations (yet... fingers crossed)

That's why coaches don't have a leash, at all, on here. They end up fired in the real world eventually but many here would be happy if they were canned after pre-season #1

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Even if Ciacco really sucks at what he does (and no one here really has access to see what he does on a day by day basis) he's not really holding anyone back. Could Lafreniere use an extra half step of speed?---sure, but some people can get there and some just won't for whatever reason. Part of what's held Lafreniere back is two left wings named Panarin and Kreider--one who flirts with 100 point seasons and the other who's scored over 80 goals the past two years. But the way Laf breaks through is to start outplaying at least one of these guys or get more opportunity if someone gets injured. It looks like this year Kakko is lined up for a top 6 RW spot. The other thing is we don't know what Laviolette is going to do. We could assume he'll have Laf behind Panarin and Kreider. It's probably a safe assumption but maybe he'll find more power play time for him.

Reactions: and 99 others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad