Line Combos: NYR Lineup Retool for Next Season

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
JG may have gotten overall fleeced in the McDonagh trade but in terms of Retool in general he certainly did the job.

2018-2019 Potential Lineup

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Zuccarello Hayes Chytil
Fast Andersson Vesey
Namestinkov Nieves Spooner

Skjei Shattenkirk
Staal Pionk
Gilmour DeAngelo

All the D prospects we just acquired

Lundqvist
X

The D is noticably weak but with everyone saying 2018 is a strong draft for D Men I imagine we will address this with 2 of our 3 1st round picks. We will be bad for 1 more year because our D isn't good but in 2 years this base plus some of ours picks and prospects from this retool being ready make us dangerous for the 2019-2020 season and even more dangerous in 2020-2021 when Staal and Lundqvist and their massive contracts come off the books.

Have flexibility with Chytil/Namestinkov/Spooner all able to slot in at bottom 6 center. If you add a Kovalchuck as rumored into the top 6 it gives you a few snipers, a lot of team speed, and a lot of lineup flexbility and allows you to trade Zuccarello for more rebuilding assets. Can also plug a few vets into 1 year deals if Chytil or Andersson need more time.

Play around with the lineup but all in all I think JG did a good job retooling.....

Reactions: belford222 and Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s hard to predict lines next season, but I`ve a notion that Zucc have chemistry with either Chytil or Lias. I`m excited for sure to find out! :)

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Krides-Zibanejad-Buch
Names-Hayes-Zuc
Chytil-Andersson-Spooner
Vessey/Plug-Boo-Fast

Skjei- Pionk
Gilmour-Shatty
Staal-Deangelo

Hank
Georgie
Really early guys like Zuc may be gone for all we know

Reactions: belford222

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
Way way WAY too early for this.

So much is going to change between now and next October.

Fun to speculate with the pieces on hand right now. Of course things will change at the draft etc, but the point im trying to make is for a Rebuild/Retool giving up our "best assets" we are not really in a dire situation. We are going to have a lot of pieces, a lot of flexbility, and a lot of picks and prospects to be very competitive in 2-3 years

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This will change alot but F group w prospects coming could be solid

Our D stinks but they got 3 good prospects to help that

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I think we sign Kovalchuk and trade one of Spooner/Namestnikov . I also think 2 or 3 of our rookie C's make the team. Zuccarello goes at the deadline.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kovalchuk-Hayes-Chytil
Spooner/Namestnikov-Howden-Zuccarello
Lettieri/Carey-Andersson/Nieves-Fast

Skjei-Pionk
Gilmour-Shattenkirk
Staal-Deangelo

That might be a solid and entertaining offense. That defense... yikes.

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
The Defense is horrendous no doubt. But make no doubts we will address that with 5 picks in the first 60. Imagine we Patrick Ewing the draft and get Dahlin.....

hagsfan924

Sep 1, 2011
I can see us trading Kreider (and maybe a pick) at the draft for Puj. Zuc for picks and prospects.
Sign Kovalchuk or JVR in the summer.

Kovy/JVR Zib Puj
Spooner Namestnikov Buch
Prospect* Hayes Fast
Vesey Lettieri Carey

*Howden, Chytil or Anderson would be in competition for this spot

On D...
Skjei ???
Shattenkirk Staal
DeAngelo Bigras

Lunqvist
Georgiev

??? could either be our top pick in the draft, a free agent signing, or trade? I doubt any of the guys we acquired would be ready to take that spot so we're definitely weak on D.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Puljujarvi would make sense since we, uh, don't have wingers. No clue what his value is but he looked real good against us.

No need penciling in the same core. I think a good exercise would be thinking of guys in around Max Domi's spot right now. Enough assets and enough NHL players to go for a young reclamation project like that.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I fully expect the Rangers to go out and sign some second tier free agents to reasonable (2-3 year contracts). No matter how you cut it, the team doesn't look to be very competitive next year. It will be a learning year for our current young D and perhaps our two young centers. But, you don't want a young team to be completely bad: that never helps a player's development, in fact, it likely hinders it. Management expectations, I expect, are realistic. Be fairly competitive but not make any moves that would jeopardize the future. They still have to fill the building, sell ad time on MSG, and remain relevant in the NY market. It's a fine line they likely will be walking next year between a continuing re-tool and putting an attractive product on the ice. It is still and entertainment business and you need to entice casual fans. Honestly, while I would not want to sign him if the team was an elite team; but for a rebuilding team that still needs some "pizazz," I would not mind signing Kovalchuk to a short-term contract for reasonable money. We are going to have a significant Russian footprint over the next few years and if his head is screwed on right, Kovy might be an asset: as long as our expectations are realistic and he understands his place in the rebuild.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I fully expect the Rangers to go out and sign some second tier free agents to reasonable (2-3 year contracts). No matter how you cut it, the team doesn't look to be very competitive next year. It will be a learning year for our current young D and perhaps our two young centers. But, you don't want a young team to be completely bad: that never helps a player's development, in fact, it likely hinders it. Management expectations, I expect, are realistic. Be fairly competitive but not make any moves that would jeopardize the future. They still have to fill the building, sell ad time on MSG, and remain relevant in the NY market. It's a fine line they likely will be walking next year between a continuing re-tool and putting an attractive product on the ice. It is still and entertainment business and you need to entice casual fans. Honestly, while I would not want to sign him if the team was an elite team; but for a rebuilding team that still needs some "pizazz," I would not mind signing Kovalchuk to a short-term contract for reasonable money. We are going to have a significant Russian footprint over the next few years and if his head is screwed on right, Kovy might be an asset: as long as our expectations are realistic and he understands his place in the rebuild.

They will still have no trouble selling tickets and corporate sponsorships. The Knicks have been terrible for 18 years and they have no trouble making money.

Kovalchuk is the guy you want to lead a team?

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
AV is not the coach for this rebuild. Its obvius the way he treats the youngsters. My question is who is? I will be patient and allow the youngins to make mistakes and learn from them and not send them to the press box

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kevin Weekes talked to people within the Rangers organization. They are looking at a 3 year plan.

Gorton isn't finished trading players.

In 3 years, the significant NYR players who would still be in their prime include

Skjei
Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Kreider
Hayes
Spooner
Namestnikov
DeAngelo
Fast

Of that core, Kreider will be the oldest at 29.

So it's not like everyone need be dealt. Zuccarello doesn't sound like he fits the long term plans, but who knows what they're thinking about.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
They're gonna try to get a star in free agency. It's the Rangers for crying out loud, that's what they do. They'll go after Tavares and plan b is probably like Kovalchuk. The first round draft picks and some of the young prospects are realistically a few years away. I guarantee they don't plan on being the Coyotes for the next 3-4 years but it could end up being the case anyway.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
They will still have no trouble selling tickets and corporate sponsorships. The Knicks have been terrible for 18 years and they have no trouble making money.

Kovalchuk is the guy you want to lead a team?

I think they sign Kovalchuk but that’s the only signing . He can recruit more Russians

Think they will keep Kreider , Zib, Zuc , Namestnikov , spooner , Buch , vesey , Hayes , Fast , Lettieri , Nieves , Belesky

Then Chytil , Andersson , Howden . Got to camp w that group

D is bad . Staal will want out which I say great cause a kid can play

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
They're gonna try to get a star in free agency. It's the Rangers for crying out loud, that's what they do. They'll go after Tavares and plan b is probably like Kovalchuk. The first round draft picks and some of the young prospects are realistically a few years away. I guarantee they don't plan on being the Coyotes for the next 3-4 years but it could end up being the case anyway.

When they started turning things around it was because they didn't sign a star in free agency...

Reactions: jas

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'll have fun and do NYR 3 years from now, making the (idealistic) assumptions that many prospects hit their potential and NYR refrain from any more major trades.

Kreider-Chytil-Wahlstrom
Farabee-Howden-Bokk
Andersson-Zibanejad-Spooner/Ronning
Namestnikov-Hayes/Kondelik-Fast

Skjei-DeAngelo
Hajek-Pionk
Rykov-Shattenkirk
Lindgren

Assuming no NCAA signings, FA signings, or other departures.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
sign De Haan, make him part of the rebuild, he's only 26 and could eventually slot into the second pairing when/if we get some top end Defensive prospects in the draft.

Krieder - Zibby - Zucc
Chytill - Namestnikov - Buchnevich
Spooner - Hayes - Fast
Vesey - Anderson - Leitteri

Skjei - De Haan
Shattenkirk - Pionk
D'Angelo - Gilmour/Lindgren/Hajek

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Don't rush Howden if he doesn't seem to be ready.

Stay away from Tavares, Kovalchuk and bury Beleskey

This is a really fast lineup that will move the puck up ice consistently and would be exciting to watch.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think they sign Kovalchuk but that’s the only signing . He can recruit more Russians

Think they will keep Kreider , Zib, Zuc , Namestnikov , spooner , Buch , vesey , Hayes , Fast , Lettieri , Nieves , Belesky

Then Chytil , Andersson , Howden . Got to camp w that group

D is bad . Staal will want out which I say great cause a kid can play

I doubt Staal will want out.

He's settled in and has established his life in the area. He sucks, but hes a good guy to have around for the rebuild.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
When they started turning things around it was because they didn't sign a star in free agency...

But they always do. They've been good since the lockout and they've gone through:

Jagr
Shannahan
Drury and Gomez (busts but the big signings of the offseason)
Gaborik
Richards
St. Louis
Nash (our faded star)

And that's just offense.

They're not gonna sit on cap space and wait for the kids to develop. They're the future complimentary pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad