Line Combos: NYR Lineup Retool for Next Season

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
But they always do. They've been good since the lockout and they've gone through:

Jagr
Shannahan
Drury and Gomez (busts but the big signings of the offseason)
Gaborik
Richards
St. Louis
Nash (our faded star)

And that's just offense.

They're not gonna sit on cap space and wait for the kids to develop. They're the future complimentary pieces.

Jags, Gaborik, St. Louis and Nash were trades.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
As much as we would like to think so, hockey is not basketball and the Rangers are not the Knicks. I also think the sports/entertainment business has evolved from what it was during the Dark Ages at the turn of the century. I don't think any team in any sport can withstand an extended period of losing with an erosion of its fan base: not us hardcore fans, but the casual fans and the "front-runner" fans. There are just to many other options out there.

I hear what you are saying about Kovy, and I share those reservations. That's why I would not look to sign him if we were a competitive team. But we are not going to be one for at least one, maybe two years. I'm OK with that, likely you are to. But we are only a small part of the fan base. So, to ease the entry of our Russian players and as entertainment value on a non-playoff team (and again for a short contract that is not to bad of a cap hit), yes I would. I know the baggage he brings.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Kinda scares me how many people are throwing prospects and potentially 1st round picks into our top 6, let's develop this properly and not f*** it up.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
we are going to sign kovalchuk, for the sole purpose of some entertain value.....also we have a ton of Russians either going to be on the team or in the pipeline

he'd be a great player to have on the team for when they come, someone that speaks both languages and someone who has been a STAR in this league

Reactions: egelband and dumpin

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
we are going to sign kovalchuk, for the sole purpose of some entertain value.....also we have a ton of Russians either going to be on the team or in the pipeline

he'd be a great player to have on the team for when they come, someone that speaks both languages and someone who has been a STAR in this league

It could also go the other way in creating a small clique of Russians who isolate themselves from teammates.

Reactions: egelband

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
With roster oppurtunities , does Jensen and/or Klingberg come back to the states?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Defense is horrendous no doubt. But make no doubts we will address that with 5 picks in the first 60. Imagine we Patrick Ewing the draft and get Dahlin.....
I remember when Knicks fans and the media were saying the Knicks would be better without Patrick and that they should rebuild. That was in 2001. In 2018 they are still rebuilding.

Reactions: Ori and egelband

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Can we keep the team like that? I want to get the top3 2019 pick, and this lineup is probably the worst in the NHL, at least on paper.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Kinda scares me how many people are throwing prospects and potentially 1st round picks into our top 6, let's develop this properly and not **** it up.

You can't break players in EA Sports or EHM.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I remember when Knicks fans and the media were saying the Knicks would be better without Patrick and that they should rebuild. That was in 2001. In 2018 they are still rebuilding.

Ewing is considered one of the top 50 all-time NBA players. McDonagh is not even the fourth best Dmen in the Rangers history.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Kovalchuk wants to win a cup. We're not the team for him. And I did/do want him at the right price, depending on how the rest pans out.

We don't know what we're doing with Spooner or Namesnikov. We're hoping both Andersson and Chytil make the jump. Chytil can play wing. Spooner is better at wing than center. Namestnikov too I think? That's a lot of left wings. That whole group is like two right shots: Ziba and Fast.

It's fun to speculate but I just can't begin to guess how it'll play out. Very much depends on our draft, who we sign/move, and who is ready or not. Our forward group might be fairly decent and/or entertaining. Our defense, I'm pretty sure, is going to be a disaster no matter what. But hey, we NEED to lose. I want the young guns learning and playing hard, sure, but if we keep building to finish middle it's gonna take much longer. Another season or two of low finishes would help, then we've got some guys coming in. Hopefully Shesty and Rykov together.

Either way you look at it, we're currently (even with optimal forecasts) going to be short a top LD, top RD, top C, and sniper. If we draft real well and with some luck we may be able to fill one or two of those. If others pan out, we can trade for them potentially. It's all a mystery at the moment. I do think we should probably sign Namestnikov and let Spooner go or move him... from what I've read anyway.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This is no longer a retool, or even a rebuild. The Rangers have torn it down and are starting over.

They are doing so stockpiled with prospects and draft picks, so it might take a while.

Rangers GM Jeff Gorton said Monday evening that “There's a lot of opportunity here to grow as a team and make our team better. That's our goal. That's our mission. That's what we're going to do. I feel like we're just starting.”

“There’s a lot of work here.”

After McDonagh trade, the Rangers have torn it down and are...

"There's a lot of work here," admitted Gorton. "We're trying to build a team, adding these assets, doing all these things, but there's a lot of work to be done. I feel like we are just starting."

NHL Trade Deadline: Rangers deal Ryan McDonagh, J.T. Miller to Lightning

Many people said the Rangers will never rebuild. So much work to be done. Should be a fun ride. They had no other choice. Three first rounders, two second round picks and two third round picks in 2018. The Ruskies are not coming over until 2019. The kids acquired from Tampa won't be ready next season. Embrace the suck. Gorton and his associates need to get the asses on the road and scout.

Gorton said something last night

On getting draft picks, "Our scouts are pretty active thinking that this draft will be good, that the next few drafts will be good. You can say that about the last 3-4, there have been plenty of players that will turn out, we feel the same way about this year."

What Jeff Gorton said on Sunday

Load up on 2019 draft picks next season.

Reactions: belford222 and Ori

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Ya'll putting Namestikov and Spooner on the 4th line are clueless. They're both top 6/3rd liners at absolute worst.

Next year we may have

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Chytil
Namestikov-Andersson-Zuccarello
Vesey-Nieves-Fast

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Pionk

I think Hajek makes the team out of camp next year. Lindgren stays in school. Rykov stays in Russia. Howden is the first call up from Hartford.

This is a young, hungry team that will still have some deficiencies on defense, but under a new coach with a new system, this might just be a bubble team next season.

This doesn't even consider an under the radar thing happening like signing Tkachev from Russia, Bereglazov making the team for bottom pairing duties, or any other trades or UFA signings.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team moving forward. Gorton, Clark, and co. will need to draft well this year. Draft well, and they're a contender in a short 2-3 years from now.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Ya'll putting Namestikov and Spooner on the 4th line are clueless. They're both top 6/3rd liners at absolute worst.

Next year we may have

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Chytil
Namestikov-Andersson-Zuccarello
Vesey-Nieves-Fast

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Pionk

I think Hajek makes the team out of camp next year. Lindgren stays in school. Rykov stays in Russia. Howden is the first call up from Hartford.

This is a young, hungry team that will still have some deficiencies on defense, but under a new coach with a new system, this might just be a bubble team next season.

This doesn't even consider an under the radar thing happening like signing Tkachev from Russia, Bereglazov making the team for bottom pairing duties, or any other trades or UFA signings.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team moving forward. Gorton, Clark, and co. will need to draft well this year. Draft well, and they're a contender in a short 2-3 years from now.
Yep. I don’t know much but I do know that the Rangers aren’t going flop for long. They’ll be bad this year and probably start to find themselves next year. In addition to the above, I’d assume Kovalchuk joins. There’s probably another trick up their sleeves too. I hope they keep Zucc and Kreider.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
We can compete as early as 2019 with the right moves and a little bit of luck.

Fire AV
buyout Brendan Smith

DRAFT DAY

Mats Zuccarello + Jimmy Vesey + 26th overall (BOS) to FLA for Henrik Borgstrom + 14th overall
Kevin Hayes + Alex Georgiev + Brandon Crawley for Darnell Nurse + Pontus Aberg

Drafting

#3 - Filip Zadina
#14 - Bode Wilde
#31 - Benoit-Oliver Giroux
#34 - K'Andre Miller
#52 - David Gustafsson

Swing for the fences in late rounds.

UFA/RFA

Ilya Kovalchuk - 3 years, $4m AAV
Derek Ryan - 2 years, $2m AAV
Ryan Spooner - 2 years, $3.8m AAV
Vladislav Namestnikov - 2 years, $3.75m AAV
Brady Skjei - 5 years, $4.5m AAV
Paul Carey - 2 years, $1m AAV
Rob O'Gara - 1 year, $800k
John Gilmour - 2 years, $825k
Chris Bigras - 1 year, $800k

Chris Kreider - Mika Zibanejad - Pavel Buchnevich
Filip Chytil - Vladislav Namestnikov - Ilya Kovalchuk
Ryan Spooner - Lias Andersson - Filip Zadina
Vinni Lettieri - Derek Ryan - Jesper Fast
Paul Carey, Matt Beleskey

Brady Skjei - Kevin Shattenkirk
Marc Staal - Tony DeAngelo
John Gilmour - Neal Pionk
Chris Bigras, Rob O'Gara

Trade Spooner/Namestnikov (or both) in either hockey deals or for young players + picks

Sign Gusev in free agency 2019

You will then have a core that consists of an abundance of top 9 talent and strong bottom 6 players.

C: Zibanejad, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Borgstrom, Ryan, Nieves
RW: Kovalchuk, Buchnevich, Zadina, Fast
LW: Kreider, Gusev, Spooner/Namestnikov, Lettieri

Plus prospects/picks that are not far off (one of those C's is odd man out, plus whatever picks/prospects are added at 2019 TDL/draft)

D: some combination of Skjei, Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, Pionk, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, Gilmour, Pionk, Bigras

This rebuild is already further along than most (so far, anyway) and it has quite a ways to go. Tremendous start by Gorton and better than I expected. Will be interesting to see if he gambles on game breaking talent or makes "safe" picks or trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad