Contract Termination: [NYR] F Nick Bonino contract terminated by the Rangers

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
I dunno, if no one wants him on waivers right now he’s probably closer to retirement

I’d imagine he’ll try to stay in game shape and see if a team needs him within the next while, probably a contender. But I imagine he’s happy to retire if not.
Why risk injury in the A before retirement

Great player

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
Honestly, he's the kind of guy Pittsburgh should just bring in to see if they can get any kind of bottom line stability. Hell, bring back Kessel as well and see what Hagelin's up to.
Don’t forget about Gonchar and Fedotenko

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
weird that he would rather retire than play in his hometown for NHL money. Unless he signed a two way contract and only would be making AHL money.
Considering hundreds of players have chosen this, not strange at all. You don't want to be his age and riding a bus with a bunch of kids to games after being in the NHL. There's a point where that money just isn't worth it. He can hope for another chance at the NHL with a different team, or coaching, scouting, media...what have you. Riding a bus in the AHL is every bit as terrible as players say it is, lol.

Reactions: ImJustJokinen

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Solid career but I think he's toast. Sometimes the fit isn't good but someone else can sign him and see for themselves. He started the year winning lots of face-offs, blocking lots of shots and penalty killing very well but as the season went on all those things got worse and then more worse and he never produced offense at all even when he was pushed up to the 3rd line any line he was on wasn't generating many chances. You have to recognize he's had a very good career but he's also in his mid-30's and with a lot of miles and there comes a time for everyone to hang them up. I think he's there.

Reactions: bernmeister

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
i guess Rangers cares little about the play-offs...
Bonino is the type of guy each team needs during the play-offs
Bonino has trouble keeping up with the play. The other teams could have had him for free. $800,000 cap hit. He cleared. $25,000 more than the minimum salary. I guess those teams cares little about the playoffs...

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Considering hundreds of players have chosen this, not strange at all. You don't want to be his age and riding a bus with a bunch of kids to games after being in the NHL. There's a point where that money just isn't worth it. He can hope for another chance at the NHL with a different team, or coaching, scouting, media...what have you. Riding a bus in the AHL is every bit as terrible as players say it is, lol.
You’re right. Virtually every player chooses not to go down to the AHL. But almost none of those players last opportunity to play hockey for a few months is with the AHL city they grew up in.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
i guess Rangers cares little about the play-offs...
Bonino is the type of guy each team needs during the play-offs
We also need players who can move and aren't pinned in their zone for 99% of their deployed time.

weird that he would rather retire than play in his hometown for NHL money. Unless he signed a two way contract and only would be making AHL money.
He was on a 1-way contract. Would have received the full pay down in the AHL. If he doesn't report he's most likely suspended without pay. Instead he can attempt to sign a deal elsewhere should somebody want him in the NHL as a scratch or 12th forward, etc. He asked to be mutually terminated instead of spending his time in the AHL and the organization wasn't going to bully him into a suspension without pay scenario, or make him go do something he had no desire to do (playing in the AHL)

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
The news could be about something far more dire than being waived, and I will always read this name as...

BONINONONONONONONONONO! NICK... BONINOOOOOOOooooooooo!

ImJustJokinen

Vinnie Desharnais for Hart Ross
Apr 7, 2019
Cup Parade
You’re right. Virtually every player chooses not to go down to the AHL. But almost none of those players last opportunity to play hockey for a few months is with the AHL city they grew up in.
You’re really overestimating this home-town thing. He’s won cups, made decent money and lived a good life while playing in the show. He’s not downgrading his quality of life at his age for sentimentality.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
He's making league minimum, he's already been through waivers, and he isn't even on the roster while Chytil is out. I guess he had no interest in going to the AHL, which is understandable. He's made his money and had a very respectable career which included playing a crucial role on two cup winning teams.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see him be a late signing for a playoff team looking for depth and locker-room presence.
Crap. Sounds like the kind of player GM Bill Guerin would go after in his quest to mediocrity. He is the gritty glue guy that's great for locker room ambiance.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly, he's the kind of guy Pittsburgh should just bring in to see if they can get any kind of bottom line stability. Hell, bring back Kessel as well and see what Hagelin's up to.
He looked cooked when we brought him back as a deadline add.

I'd be open to bringing Bonino back as a management role or something though.

Reactions: uncleben

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The news could be about something far more dire than being waived, and I will always read this name as...

BONINONONONONONONONONO! NICK... BONINOOOOOOOooooooooo!

The one against Washington in OT to finish them off was the more important goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad