Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] F Barclay Goodrow signs with the Rangers (6 years, $3.642M AAV)

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I'm not defending Trouba's play but he's not really put in a position to score a lot of points. Pionk had half his points on the power play the first year. Trouba's role on the team isn't to get 40+ points a season.
So the Rangers paying the guy 8 mil a season to not contribute offensively?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The Rangers are so screwed next summer. Fox and Zibby will cost around 20 milion in cap space and the idiot Drury is spendind 3.6 on a bottom 6 forward
when they already have anchors like Trouba in dead cap space. This won't end well...
I could be wrong, but I don’t think 3.6 is greater than 20

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Signing bottom 6 talent to a 6 year deal at slightly above market value seems dumb, dumb, dumbbbbb, but shouldn’t be a huge issue going forward.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
How did Barclay Goodrow go from the Sharks 4th line, to returning a 1st round pick and now signing a 22M dollar deal?

He has career highs of 8 goals and 24 points :laugh:

I get that he brings size and kills penalties but my god.

Scored the game-winner in OT in game 7 vs Vegas. Is a great guy who was lived by his teammates in San Jose. Helped San Jose to a top-10 rank PK which lost effectiveness when he left.

Helped push Tampa Bay over the top and won two Cups. Consistently was top-5 in ice-time for Tampa in the playoffs (i.e. plays big minutes).

The guy is clutch.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
This is such an emotional contract from the Rangers. Rookie GM written all over it.

They got bullied last year and now overpaid to get "tougher", something you can achieve in free agency for half the price.

Goodrow just made out like a bandit because he won a couple cups and can throw a hit. His career high is 8 goals :laugh::laugh:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So the Rangers paying the guy 8 mil a season to not contribute offensively?
The Rangers are paying him 8 million regardless if he contributes offensively. What I said was the organization wasn't using him for that role. Fox is the RD they want in the O-zone. Fox is the RD they want on the powerplay. Fox is the RD they want out as much as possible.

meatwad4343

Apr 19, 2018
Tampa
This is such an emotional contract from the Rangers. Rookie GM written all over it.

They got bullied last year and now overpaid to get "tougher", something you can achieve in free agency for half the price.

Goodrow just made out like a bandit because he won a couple cups and can throw a hit. His career high is 8 goals :laugh::laugh:

I'm a Tampa fan and I loved goodrow here but this is a massive over pay and will be among the worst deals in the league a few years from now

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm a Tampa fan and I loved goodrow here but this is a massive over pay and will be among the worst deals in the league a few years from now
Nah, there will be plenty of 6/7 year deals handed out for soon-to-be UFA's/UFA's in the top 6 that will look really bad in a few years and be far worse than a 3.6 million cap hit.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think this is a terrible contract I also laughed my ass off at the Brandon Tanev contract that was signed two years ago that turned out quite good and was just taken for free by Seattle so...

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Goodrow played almost 18 minutes in cup win against Montreal. Aside form 1 game, he played around 18 minutes in each game during the cup final. 18 minutes in a close-out game against the Islanders. Nearly 18 minutes in a close-out game against the Hurricanes. 3.6 million for a player that can be effective for 18 minutes is not a bad cap hit. Sure, it would have been nice to get that down closer to 3, but it is what is it is. The real issue here is the 6 years, not the amount Goodrow is getting per year. I also don't like the way the contract is structured.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's not a good contract, but whatever. Need to see what else the Rangers do this offseason, and what kind of a roster we skate come game 1. Then I will make a judgment on Drury.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Just wait until Hyman signs with Edmonton, if the reports are accurate. That deal would make this deal look good.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Cause he was integral in winning a couple cups.
We have a lot of young talent coming up. Want them to practice and play like Goodrow. He’s a type of guy you want around your young guys building culture.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Could be worse, we could’ve made a decision to pay a crappy G 10 mil a year until like 2030. I know in Florida this will resonate: you have to remove the broken washing machine from your front yard and the old couch from your porch before you criticize my Yosemite Sam mud flaps.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Scored the game-winner in OT in game 7 vs Vegas. Is a great guy who was lived by his teammates in San Jose. Helped San Jose to a top-10 rank PK which lost effectiveness when he left.

Helped push Tampa Bay over the top and won two Cups. Consistently was top-5 in ice-time for Tampa in the playoffs (i.e. plays big minutes).

The guy is clutch.

Okay he scored one OT goal, one of his 5 playoff goals ever.

He was outscored by his linemates Coleman and Gourde in the last 2 playoff runs by 9 and 12 points.

Look, i get that he's become a good penalty killer and all that, but when did we start calling guys with 5 career playoff goals in 65 games clutch? Hell freezes over before 6 year deals for penalty killers close to their 30's are good contracts.

This is essentially the same exact thing as when Detroit gave Darren Helm a 5 year, 3.85M contract. Little less AAV, one more year for Goodrow. Helm was around the same age with the same credentials. Heck, he had double Goodrow's playoffs goals and a few 30 point seasons even. I literally forgot Helm was still playing the last couple years, still on that same contract.

But.. meh. Rant over. Rangers are better team than they were yesterday and it's a good fit for both parties so good for them i guess.

Reactions: The Sweetness

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Could be worse, we could’ve made a decision to pay a crappy G 10 mil a year until like 2030. I know in Florida this will resonate: you have to remove the broken washing machine from your front yard and the old couch from your porch before you criticize my Yosemite Sam mud flaps.
Another Bob chirp, cringe.

You overpaid for a dime a dozen NHLer, deal with it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad