Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] F Barclay Goodrow signs with the Rangers (6 years, $3.642M AAV)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Goodrow is a beauty but that's a lot of money and even more term.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
pssst drury didn’t sign those other guys

I know. That was why I was talking about Goodrow being a rough start for Drury.

That combined with Gortons Kreider and Trouba signings will make sure that the Rangers will be in caphell in no time. And after today Drury can't even fully blame his predecessors for it.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
As a Devil's fan I like this deal haha. Coleman is going to get paid wherever he ends up with as a example of what a 3rd liner can fetch on the open market. Thing is Coleman is a better overall player than Goodrow. Not an awful deal but 6 years for a role player is risky when you will be tight on cap for now and tbe foreseeable future. Interested to see how he works out for the Rangers. Good player to add to a team that will be plenty skilled and probably be a cup contender soon.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
What a bunch of over-reactions! The later years don't matter much and he's good enough to contribute during the first years of the contract, or so said the glowing reports of a lot of Tampa fans. You guys are reacting like this is the worst contract given in the last 20 years and it's hilarious! :laugh: The term and the dollar are not an issue in the slightest, unless you're new to salary cap shenanigans and hockey in general.

Edit: You're all also acting like this contract was negotiated in a void, where the influence of no other GMs effected it. A player that had an impact on a Stanley Cup winning team is going to get paid. It's not like the Rangers would have been the only ones wanting him.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
As a Devil's fan I like this deal haha. Coleman is going to get paid wherever he ends up with as a example of what a 3rd liner can fetch on the open market. Thing is Coleman is a better overall player than Goodrow. Not an awful deal but 6 years for a role player is risky when you will be tight on cap for now and tbe foreseeable future. Interested to see how he works out for the Rangers. Good player to add to a team that will be plenty skilled and probably be a cup contender soon.
If he declines or we need the space after year 4 of the deal he’ll be bought out or buried like most UFAs signing outrageous terms. 3.6 mill is nothing to bury in the AHL or on a 2year buyout. (not you personally)
But I can’t believe there’s people actually in this thread who don’t know how the business side of hockey works, and think that NYR is going to be stuck with Goodrow for the full 6 seasons if he declines or they need that cap elsewhere. It’s like their teams have never signed free agents before and have no idea how the process goes. Smh.

Reactions: scanzzilla

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I know. That was why I was talking about Goodrow being a rough start for Drury.

That combined with Gortons Kreider and Trouba signings will make sure that the Rangers will be in caphell in no time. And after today Drury can't even fully blame his predecessors for it.
Doubt either guy is here over the full length of their deals. But it’s pointless to bring either of them up in proposals until their NMCs become modified NTCs

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If he declines or we need the space after year 4 of the deal he’ll be bought out or buried like most UFAs signing outrageous terms. 3.6 mill is nothing to bury in the AHL or on a 2year buyout. (not you personally)
But I can’t believe there’s people actually in this thread who don’t know how the business side of hockey works, and think that NYR is going to be stuck with Goodrow for the full 6 seasons if he declines or they need that cap elsewhere. It’s like their teams have never signed free agents before and have no idea how the process goes. Smh.

Nah you can always package him with a 3rd rounder and send him to the garbage dump in Arizona ;)

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Goodie had some great runs and I’m glad he got paid but this contract is not going to look good in a few years.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Literally no ranger fan expects him to play all 6 years. Free agents for any team rarely finish their entire deals on the team they signed. If goodrow falls off after 4 years, 3.6 is easy to buy out or bury. It’s really not a big deal. He’s a premier 3rd liner, and now he’s being paid like one instead of 900k end of story.
People treating this like some 8-9 million dollar albatross like skinner are so far from the reality of the situation, it’s scary. You would think by now, they know how the Free Agency/mercenary deals go. Year after year, we’ve all seen it, but almost every team.
Yep. It’s a bit of a pill but it’s fine. You don’t want to have multiple Bottom Sixers on these kind of deals but one or two are digestible.

Reactions: jay from jersey

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I liked a lot of what Jim Rutherford did as GM, but his signings on the first day of free agency left a lot to be desired. I'm glad they're hurting someone else now.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
This is fine.
Rangers fans
e1cd0c6d9e62ea-50.png

Reactions: EdJovanovski

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
6 years is such a long time and yet none of our other UFAs never came close to finishing out their contracts in NY. Richards seemed like he was in NY forever but it was actually only 3 years

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that Barclay Goodrow is very happy with this contract. After winning dual Stanley Cup championships with Tampa Bay Lightning he is now going to make over 20 million dollars playing in New York. Nice!

Reactions: egelband

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
A bit longer than maybe needed, but it brings the AAV down and the last year would be movable.

The Rangers lack a guy like Goodrow in the lineup. The last we had was Fast, and him leaving left a noticeable hole.

It's fine to splurge on a 3rd-line player as long as you have a continuing influx of bottom-6 players and the Rangers pipeline has that.

This is 4% of the cap. The Rangers had double this in dead cap space last year.

Reactions: Saitama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad