Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] F Barclay Goodrow signs with the Rangers (6 years, $3.642M AAV)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So Kakko, Laf, Miller, Shesty, Kreider, Buch, Jones, Fox, Zibby, Lindgren, Trouba, Strome, Gauthier, Chytil, Lundkvist, and Kravtsov were free agents?

Show me one stanley cup team without multiple free agents on it.
Lol I don't know who like 80% of those people are good luck buddy.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Jay Beagle, playoff performer for the Washington capitals, good bottom 6 forward, defense first. Signed a 4 year $12m deal with the canucks. Scored an average of 25 points per year his last 4 in Washington. More offense than Goodrow. Contract covers the same age years as goodrows.

how is this different than jay beagle?

Beagle's 4 years with Van cover his 33-36 seasons, Goodrow's would cover 28-33. In fact, Beagle was most productive from age 29-32...if Goodrow trends similarly to Beagle this may work out pretty well for the Rangers after all!

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Every Jet and Hawks fan knew Ladd was dunzo after his hernias. It was actually hilarious seeing that fail of a contract be handed out from our point if view. It was like no one watched him his last season in Winnipeg and on the Hawks in the playoffs. Guy was riding his stats from a year ago.

OK, so what in there can you say is false info? It's awful comparison, spin it anyway you want. Ladd scored 23 goals his 1st year with the Islanders btw.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I dont believe Tanev and Goodrow is fair comparable, when you look at the production. if Tanev is 3.5, Goodrow i sat least million overpaid.

Thats my point.
Where are you getting Tanev's and Goodrows averages from? Your numbers look off.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Tell that to Pavelski,

The greatest US Born Playoff goal scorer of all time :sarcasm:

If you wanted to try and refute my point about 7th round picks id recommend mentioning some guy named Henrik Lundqvist. Regardless, players like these are far from the norm. 7th rounders are a scratch off lottery ticket

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Teams overpay to fill holes when they think they can contend.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Kreider-Goodrow-Kravtsov
Barron-Rooney-Blackwell/Gauthier

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Trouba
xxx-Lundkvist

Shestyorkin

I mean...this team is good. That's insane depth up front if you get solid development from the young players, the Norris winner, a great second pair, a top 10 goalie, potentially an explosive third pair with Lundkvist and just that one hole. They just got a pretty f***ing good coach.

This team is young and, don't get me wrong, I see a lot of places where it goes wrong. That being said, they're also not necessarily that far away. When Laf/Kakko/Fox get their adult contracts, the Rangers are going to be in transition/retooling at that point anyway. I think they're gonna take a couple of cracks at winning before that happens and they might as f***ing well.

By 24-25, they'll be phasing most of the vet players here out anyway. The Rangers have nothing to lose going for it before then.

Worst case scenario, they suck. Then you just let Zibanejad and Buchnevich go at the deadline which saves you a bunch of salary and you keep the rebuild moving right on down the tracks.

The only long-term harm the Rangers could do is overestimate themselves, lock up ZIbanejad and Buchnevich, and then not win the Cup/not contend with those players. Goodrow isn't moving that needle.

The Rangers are not building towards one big window. They might have a chance to win with Laf/Kakko/Fox on ELC's, they're gonna dip when all those players sign, and then there's hopefully a second window when those three players are their late 20's. That second window hits when Kreider, Trouba, and Goodrow are long gone. Not spending on Goodrow wasn't preventing that dip. That's why I think this doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
If you wanted to try and refute my point about 7th round picks id recommend mentioning some guy named Henrik Lundqvist. Regardless, players like these are far from the norm. 7th rounders are a scratch off lottery ticket

Ya I was being sarcastic hence emoji

having some fun with it

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Tore open Vegas? It is funny how some people will remember him scoring the OT series winner against Vegas, but conveniently forget that he had been benched for a good part of that game due to poor play. Goodrow had 2 goals/0 assists/-3 in 22 playoff games with the Sharks. People are trying to make him into something he is not to justify the contract.
Yeah I believe it was hurtle and then Carlson made the other sweet play inside the blue line pretty much made the play. And yes the only reason he was able to skate pass everybody is because you’ve been sitting on the bench for All of overtime

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
The reported contract is a slight overpay and a tad bit too long. But acting like it is atrocious is hyperbolic. If, say, it was 5.2/6, okay, I get it. But it will come in around 3.5. He is one of the best third liners and penalty killers in the game. I say it is a great move by NYR, who needed a player just like Goodrow. Now wait for Danault's contract - that will be an ugly one.
One of the best third liners in the game. Take it easy

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I mean sure sign Goodrow. Even overpay him a bit. But do that for 6 years?? Why on earth would you do that
The market dictates the price. And there's been rumours of other teams willing to give him that Tanev contract.

So you either bite the bullet and sign him for 6 years (when it should be 4) or someone else, maybe your rivals sign him.

GM's don't care too much about 5-6 years down the road because they might not even be the GM by then. So they try to sign the best players for (hopefully) a chance to challenge for the Stanley cup.

I think the GM's knows it's too much but the price has been set when Pittsburgh signed Tanev.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
The Rangers are so screwed next summer. Fox and Zibby will cost around 20 milion in cap space and the idiot Drury is spendind 3.6 on a bottom 6 forward
when they already have anchors like Trouba in dead cap space. This won't end well...
The real problem is the Kreider and Trouba contracts not the 3.6 on a third liner. The cap is not great but they will have enough for the zibs and fox contracts. The worry is a two to three years down the line with some of the other young players. Will be interesting to see the cap then.

Reactions: Off Sides

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Chris Drury has graduated from the university of "GMing" under professor Jim Benning. Under his tutelage, Drury has mastered the art of overpaying 4th liners.

Reactions: ultra63

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The market dictates the price. And there's been rumours of other teams willing to give him that Tanev contract.

So you either bite the bullet and sign him for 6 years (when it should be 4) or someone else, maybe your rivals sign him.

GM's don't care too much about 5-6 years down the road because they might not even be the GM by then. So they try to sign the best players for (hopefully) a chance to challenge for the Stanley cup.

I think the GM's knows it's too much but the price has been set when Pittsburgh signed Tanev.

If Brandon Tanev is setting the market, any market, this league is more screwed up than we thought.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad