Speculation: NYR-EDM Trade?

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
And I'd say eff any notion of underpaying.
If you don't want Nash, we should still get a 1st for him from SJ or elsewhere, even if NYR adds.

And you conveniently ignored the whole point of my post, that the 1st is conditional, pending these 2 doing 40 goals balance of season. If they deliver, then hell yes, you should pay.

Since Grabner would be provided as a package in that scenario w/conditional add, then pool party or other acceptable is required.

You guys have plenty of cap, but if it's a big deal, we can eat half of Nash in lieu of taking on Fayne.

Show me a comparable trade where a team received a similar play to Nash for a blue chip prospect.

Vanek was traded to Florida for a reclamation project and a 3rd round pick.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Show me a comparable trade where a team received a similar play to Nash for a blue chip prospect.

Vanek was traded to Florida for a reclamation project and a 3rd round pick.

one will come to me but off top of my head as to a close enough comparable that makes the point,
Vermette < Nash
traded for
1st < blue chip

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
one will come to me but off top of my head as to a close enough comparable that makes the point,
Vermette < Nash
traded for
1st < blue chip

That was quite literally the 30th overall pick. Unless you're about to make the argument that all first rounders are equal, no, those are not comparable at all.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That was quite literally the 30th overall pick. Unless you're about to make the argument that all first rounders are equal, no, those are not comparable at all.

They are not equal, I am not saying or implying that they are, and I took pains to express that; but they are comparable because they are relative.

Nash is as above Vermette
as
Pulj is above a late 1st.

If that statement is true, they are comparable

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
They are not equal, I am not saying or implying that they are, and I took pains to express that; but they are comparable because they are relative.

Nash is as above Vermette
as
Pulj is above a late 1st.

If that statement is true, they are comparable

Patrick Maroon is above Vermette.

Lias Andersson is above a late 1st.

Thus, you would trade Edmonton Andersson for Maroon. That would have to be the case if you are holding to that logic.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Teams always scout out other teams before they play them, Probably means nothing and FWIW all Canadian teams are on Rick Nash no trade list.
This has been repeated countlessly as has the idea that Nash may benefit financially from a half season next to Connor McDavid should both parties ultimately be interested. Regardless, if the Oilers were scouting him, they got a good look at him today.

Reactions: pld459666

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The notion that the Oilers would consider dealing Puljujarvi for a rental is pretty ridiculous. If they were at all interested in Nash they would move picks for him.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't think that is enough for top tier d man and a 25+ goal scorer on good contracts. Add a 2nd or a solid prospect

Are Klefbom and McDonagh that far apart in value anymore?

The contract strongly favors Klefbom. Age favor Klefbom. Experience and current play, still in favor of McDonagh, but for how much longer? Klef was a solid top pair on a 103 point team and scored nearly 40 points last year. How much of a gap is there between him and McDonagh really... I mean more than reputation wise. Another season like last and I'd say they are equal... but at that point one still has years on his contract and the other is only signed for one more year.

So then the deal is Pulju and a 1st for Grabner. I think we can all see that would be a hard pass for the Oilers.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Any trade Gorton makes with Chiarelli is going to be a great trade for New York. Sather already completed his favour for Edmonton by sending Talbot for free.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Any trade Gorton makes with Chiarelli is going to be a great trade for New York. Sather already completed his favour for Edmonton by sending Talbot for free.
Aren't all trades made thinking that they are good for your team? It's not like Sather sat down and thought to himself, "my buddies in Edmonton need a goalie, I'll send them this Talbot guy for nothing". That's what the market demanded at the time and Slats took the best offer he got. Every GM is prone to a misstep or two. Gorton, like all GM's, will make a bad call someday because he mistakenly thinks it is best for the team. Not that I expect to get Nash for nothing.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You're comparing Vanek to Nash? Grasping at straws.

How is Vanek comparable to Nash?

Vanek was traded last season after putting up 15 goals and 38 points and had a $2.6m salary. He was a very productive forward at a very cheap cost. The Panthers bungled the market though and waited too long to trade him.

Nash is on pace for about 40 points and he's carrying a $7.8m salary. Although he's a much more complete player, I don't see the Rangers getting a windfall for him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Aren't all trades made thinking that they are good for your team? It's not like Sather sat down and thought to himself, "my buddies in Edmonton need a goalie, I'll send them this Talbot guy for nothing". That's what the market demanded at the time and Slats took the best offer he got. Every GM is prone to a misstep or two. Gorton, like all GM's, will make a bad call someday because he mistakenly thinks it is best for the team. Not that I expect to get Nash for nothing.
People keep referencing the Talbot trade as robbery.

Goalies don't get big returns unless they're absolutely top tier goalies who are already established. At the time of the trade, Talbot had played 57 games over 2 seasons, much of them backing up Hank and being given the easier starts.

Rangers got a few middling picks for a largely unproven goalie "prospect" who was 27 years old. It worked out for Edmonton, and that's great, but at the time looking at what went both ways it really wasn't the robbery it's made out to be today.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Goalies don't get big returns unless they're absolutely top tier goalies who are already established. At the time of the trade, Talbot had played 57 games over 2 seasons, much of them backing up Hank and being given the easier starts.

Rangers got a few middling picks for a largely unproven goalie "prospect" who was 27 years old. It worked out for Edmonton, and that's great, but at the time looking at what went both ways it really wasn't the robbery it's made out to be today.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Jones got 1st that summer as wellwith Lehner , so there goes your post

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lehner and Jones were both much younger, Lehner had a better pedigree and was considered to be a future star by some, and many felt San Jose overpaid for Jones. Long story short, Talbot was thought of as the "consolation prize" for teams that didn't get Lehner or Jones. Plus, after Jones and Lehner were both dealt that nearly killed the goalie market as few other teams were looking hard for one.

Shrewd GM'ing by Chiarelli in my opinion, not necessarily bad GM'ing by Sather. Slats had a piece that wasn't as in demand, and as such, he didn't get the return that those pieces did.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Lehner, a goalie years younger than Talbot, and with a pretty good draft pedigree by goalie standards, returned the 21st pick.

Jones, also years younger than Talbot, and a prospect went to SJ for the 29th overall pick.

Talbot went to Edmonton with the 209th pick, for the 57th, 79th and 184th pick.

Both of them are years younger than Talbot. Both were traded for late 1sts, and Jones' deal included a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad