Speculation: NYR-EDM Trade?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah he’s getting like 8.5 for 8 years starting next year. Insane.

Hes a little overpaid right now, maybe 0.5-1 million overpaid. It wont seem this way in a few season. 8 years is a long time and this will be a steal soon enough.
Allstar who can play any F position and excel

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I believe it was 3rd, 4th, and 7th for Talbot and 7th.
Nope, it was picks 57, 79, and 184. The Rangers traded back from 57 to the first pick in round 3, much to Rangers fans’ dismay with Sprong and Kylington on the board.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Im not at all sold on Drai being worth that contract when he’s not with McDavid. They really jumped the gun paying him imo.

1) The guys given the responsibility of handing out that contract... you know, guys like Chia who, despite not being an NHL player, qualified himself to get paid 7 figures a year to evaluate hockey talent... he disagrees with you on Drai. So do I for what it is worth... Drai is a young Kopitar. A very complete hockey player who makes few poor decisions with the puck, is a great playmaker, a tough body to move, back checks and plays a complete game, hates losing and is a young leader. It has been a long time since we've had a player like Drai on our team (McD excluded) he's the most complete hockey player we've had since Dougie Weight.... I'm saying it's not just the stats with McD that would convince these guys to pay him... it is the way he plays the game. Very few glaring weaknesses... a real foundational player. IMO

Lol a third for a guy who would have been third in your team in goals last year behind your two elite forwards and who currently has more goals from the fourth line than anybody on your team has at all.

I’d rather keep him and let him walk then trade him for a third, that’s a horrendous return.

2) I agree with you and others that Grabner is worth more than a 3rd... I'd pay a 2nd + B prospect. 2nd and Simpson as an example. (not Jones, Bear... Mantha unlikely)

3) Nash is also going to be worth more at the deadline, I agree... and I'd be more willing to pay it then. We aren't a playoff spot at the moment, so not sure we should harvest the farm yet. (outside help is not necessarily the answer... getting what talent we have to produce is)

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah that’s true. I don’t really have much interest in him for that reason. Good player but he’ll either be worth the deal and they’d never move him or he won’t be worth the deal and it’ll be insane to take on that contract. It is what it is.

He’s a solid player, but at least for the first half of that deal, he’s getting paid like an all out superstar which I’m just not sure he is. 4 years down the line the cap could be wildly different so who knows then.

Just to add... I'm not sure how much you've seen of Drai, but he really is a player you need to watch game-in, game-out to appreciate... when he came back after his rookie year (when I was not impressed), I watched him quite critically... and he was a completely changed kid (20 years old). The old Drai forced plays, played passively, deferred to teammates. This new Drai... I mean honestly and truly.... you can watch him for games on end and not have a SINGLE instance where he made the wrong play with the puck. He shoots when a shot should be taken, passes when he should pass... and his passes are pretty exceptional at times.

If there was one thing to criticize it would be, from time to time, you can catch him in a situation where he isn't in bad position, but if he'd swiveled his head 2 seconds earlier and taken 3 strides he'd have been in perfect position... so defensive anticipation I suppose. And I'm quite critical about that (I'm a goalie) so I could say that about 80% of players in the league.

This is all eye test of course... I'm just challenging you to do the easy lifting (because it is fun "work") and do the same. Then see if you still disagree on the contract being a risk.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Its probably been mentioned already...but for those of you who thought TM was at a Rangers game the other day to "scout the Rangers in prep for when we play them" (which HCs don't do) or "for a night out"...Peter Chiarelli was scouting the Rangers/Bruins game last night along with Doug Armstrong (STL GM).

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Its probably been mentioned already...but for those of you who thought TM was at a Rangers game the other day to "scout the Rangers in prep for when we play them" (which HCs don't do) or "for a night out"...Peter Chiarelli was scouting the Rangers/Bruins game last night along with Doug Armstrong (STL GM).

it is called comparing notes with your co workers--to see if you saw the same thing

for years the wings had a set group who would watch teams on different nights and then get together and compare notes

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
it is called comparing notes with your co workers--to see if you saw the same thing

for years the wings had a set group who would watch teams on different nights and then get together and compare notes
right...that's what TM was doing....preparing for the Rangers ..when his team plays the Islanders and Devil inbetween...and then what? Chia was there to verify TM's coaching notes?

OR they were both there on separate nights just having fun because...you know NYC has nothing else going on for them to do...c'mon man...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

We know that Chiarelli really likes JT Miller, as he named him to the Team North America squad that he was the GM of - a bit controversially at the time if I remember right, as he named Miller to the squad before he named RNH, his own player. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's looking at a Grabner and Miller package. Our team speed up front is miserable.

Problem is Miller would be tough to trade for. We don't have a ton of tradable assets and less cap space going forward.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We know that Chiarelli really likes JT Miller, as he named him to the Team North America squad that he was the GM of - a bit controversially at the time if I remember right, as he named Miller to the squad before he named RNH, his own player. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's looking at a Grabner and Miller package. Our team speed up front is miserable.

Problem is Miller would be tough to trade for. We don't have a ton of tradable assets and less cap space going forward.
It would probably have to end up being Nuge++ to get them in a package.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
3) Nash is also going to be worth more at the deadline, I agree... and I'd be more willing to pay it then. We aren't a playoff spot at the moment, so not sure we should harvest the farm yet. (outside help is not necessarily the answer... getting what talent we have to produce is)

PC isn't afraid to make a move. Aggressive moves. Ones that can burn him (and sometimes do). And he wants to win now. I wouldn't assume he wouldn't go after someone just because the team isn't currently in a playoff spot if he thinks that guy can help get them in.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hes a little overpaid right now, maybe 0.5-1 million overpaid. It wont seem this way in a few season. 8 years is a long time and this will be a steal soon enough.
Allstar who can play any F position and excel
The risk Imo is because he got a ton of term at a high hit after only playing 1 year up to that level, and that year he played with McDavid an awful lot if I remember right. If he has to be on McDavid's wing to earn his 8.5, they're paying 20+M for 2/3 of one line while the rest of the offense is basically RNH and a lot of bottom 6ers. A lot of players could excel with McDavid for a lot less than 8.5 million a year, he's probably one of the best and easiest guys to play with in the world.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
you are the same organization who traded away taylor hall for adam larsson.....

And the Rangers gave Talbot away for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. Sometimes teams make decisions based on circumstance and need; not everything works out at even value.

Reactions: THall4

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't see any conceivable reason for NYR to move Miller. It just doesn't make any sense at all. If anyone of any real value is maybe going to EDM, I'd think it'd be Zucc so they'd have at least 4 top 6 forwards. Zucc would be great with McDavid and allow Drai to compliment RNH, or even play center on his own line.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Hockey people are generally very single-minded, they know hockey and precious little else.

A day off on the road like this presents an NHL team/coaches with 3 viable options:

1.Let's go to the bar (or mini bar in a rookies room, he can afford it)
2.Let's go to the Rub and tug (Or order some adult PPV in the rookie's room and rub and tug there, send him to get takeout, he can afford it, plus we're already at "The bar")
3. "There's a game tonight? LET'S GO! We can talk to people there, and they won't think we're dumb. ROOKIE! Call us a cab, and grab me 6 J.D shots from the mini bar, you can afford it"

I honestly wouldn't read much into this, have you ever been out of town and had friends be in that same place? What do you do? You hang out, you go where the people you know are. It's probably fun for an NHL team to go watch another team sweat while they drink comped bears, boo both squads, and yell insults at their friends on the ice.

If I was an NHL player that's what I'd be doing,

But I'm not, so I satisfy myself by showing up drunk at my kid's games and yelling insults at them,

"Booo! Son! YOU SUCK! Who let my kid on the ice?! Are we going to try and win this??? I guess NOT!"

"PENALTY! REF! Are you blind?! My kid just cross-checked that real player right in front of you! What are expecting me to ground him instead? I'm telling you to watch his stick, the little bastard is dirt as hell!!!

I wouldn't trade family time for anything, A therapist told us we should do something we all can enjoy, so the kids play while I get to be an abusive drunk, everyone wins

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The risk Imo is because he got a ton of term at a high hit after only playing 1 year up to that level, and that year he played with McDavid an awful lot if I remember right. If he has to be on McDavid's wing to earn his 8.5, they're paying 20+M for 2/3 of one line while the rest of the offense is basically RNH and a lot of bottom 6ers. A lot of players could excel with McDavid for a lot less than 8.5 million a year, he's probably one of the best and easiest guys to play with in the world.
Im not so sure about that...we had 2 offensive players that made 6M each..neither could play with McDavid...those 2 being Hall and Eberle.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Hockey people are generally very single-minded, they know hockey and precious little else.

A day off on the road like this presents an NHL team/coaches with 3 viable options:

1.Let's go to the bar (or mini bar in a rookies room, he can afford it)
2.Let's go to the Rub and tug (Or order some adult PPV in the rookie's room and rub and tug there, send him to get takeout, he can afford it, plus we're already at "The bar")
3. "There's a game tonight? LET'S GO! We can talk to people there, and they won't think we're dumb. ROOKIE! Call us a cab, and grab me 6 J.D shots from the mini bar, you can afford it"

I honestly wouldn't read much into this, have you ever been out of town and had friends be in that same place? What do you do? You hang out, you go where the people you know are. It's probably fun for an NHL team to go watch another team sweat while they drink comped bears, boo both squads, and yell insults at their friends on the ice.

If I was an NHL player that's what I'd be doing,

But I'm not, so I satisfy myself by showing up drunk at my kid's games and yelling insults at them,

"Booo! Son! YOU SUCK! Who let my kid on the ice?! Are we going to try and win this??? I guess NOT!"

"PENALTY! REF! Are you blind?! My kid just cross-checked that real player right in front of you! What are expecting me to ground him instead? I'm telling you to watch his stick, the little bastard is dirt as hell!!!

I wouldn't trade family time for anything, A therapist told us we should do something we all can enjoy, so the kids play while I get to be an abusive drunk, everyone wins

You sound fun.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Im not so sure about that...we had 2 offensive players that made 6M each..neither could play with McDavid...those 2 being Hall and Eberle.
How much did Hall play with him? Seems like the year they were both there, they both had very productive seasons.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
How much did Hall play with him? Seems like the year they were both there, they both had very productive seasons.

I'm sure the actual numbers could be acquired easily enough (I'm far too lazy and hate NHL.com far too much to do so myself), my memory is Hall and McDavid were tried together at the start of the season and eventually moved to different lines.

There's some debate among hardcore Oil fans about whether or not that was a good idea. Generally speaking if you have two players that are proven "difference makes" that can carry their own line, it's good asset management to split them up.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Let’s get crazy

Skjei
Miller
Zuccarello
Hayes
Day

for

Draisaitl
Nurse
Caggiula
Puljuarvi
Safin

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm sure the actual numbers could be acquired easily enough (I'm far too lazy and hate NHL.com far too much to do so myself), my memory is Hall and McDavid were tried together at the start of the season and eventually moved to different lines.

There's some debate among hardcore Oil fans about whether or not that was a good idea. Generally speaking if you have two players that are proven "difference makes" that can carry their own line, it's good asset management to split them up.
Yeah, but the original point was that they couldn't play well together. Big difference between splitting them up to have two potent lines and splitting them up because they can't play well together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad