Who would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
The Canuck hate is strong with this one :facepalm:
The Canucks are too shitty for me to hate on them. I just find all the Pettersson hype a little excessive. He's a good player and he's done amazing in the SHL, but how about we wait until he finishes his rookie campaign before we go tearing down other teams' young players. B2B 60 point seasons is nothing to scoff at for a young player in the league. Unless people are expecting EP to turn into a PPG+ player in the NHL right away, I think the hype is absolutely absurd.

Reactions: Holymakinaw

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I'll take petters son for his upside. He put up much better numbers in the SHL than Nylander.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Gotta go with the schmucks kid. Center edge plus his numbers in Sweden are unreal.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Gotta go with the schmucks kid. Center edge plus his numbers in Sweden are unreal.

His numbers in Sweden will be irrelevant if he can't translate it to the NHL. Seeing how rare it is for any player to get 60+ points in his first two years in the league, Nylander is already proving he's got elite potential. Slam dunk.

Pettersson has certainly done very well in a lesser league. Lets see if he can actually make the NHL and stick for a few games first, eh? :)

member 105785

Pettersson, better numbers in the SHL, center, I'll take the high risk higher reward

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
This just seems like a strange question more than anything.

What Pettersson has done has been remarkable, but it's not like Nylander has done anything to question his ability. I just don't understand the relevance of one to the other. Is Nylander supposed to be some sort of benchmark for Pettersson? I mean it's not inconceivable that Nylander can get better as well considering he's only 22.

I could just be overthinking this, but I'm confused. Especially if the question is who I would rather have on my team. Pettersson hasn't even played in the NHL yet, so I have no clue.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
we need to see Pettersso first. Nylander had a couple good seasons, Pettersson is not even in the NHL yet.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This just seems like a strange question more than anything.

What Pettersson has done has been remarkable, but it's not like Nylander has done anything to question his ability. I just don't understand the relevance of one to the other. Is Nylander supposed to be some sort of benchmark for Pettersson? I mean it's not inconceivable that Nylander can get better as well considering he's only 22.

I could just be overthinking this, but I'm confused. Especially if the question is who I would rather have on my team. Pettersson hasn't even played in the NHL yet, so I have no clue.

Little brothers always feel the need to validate themselves against big bros stuff

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I find it funny how a 22 year old C who has shown the the ability to be a top 6 C in limited opportunity at the NHL level, is a proven top line NHL player winger, and had one of the most prolific U22 AHL seasons in the last 20 years as a 19 year old is somehow a less likely C candidate than a prospect who has not shown any ability to play C on North American ice.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017

Pettersson, better numbers in the SHL, center, I'll take the high risk higher reward

Nylander was a C in both the SHL and AHL.

Pettersson is listed as both a C and RW. He'll likely be put on the wing early in his career, same as Nylander, so the C argument as no bearing here.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
I see William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius consistently finishing around 60-75 points during most of his career, while Fredrik Elias Pettersson could become anything from a 40 point to a 90 point player. In my opinion, with young players you always go for the high risk / high potential ones, or you become Minnesota.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
I see William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius consistently finishing around 60-75 points during most of his career, while Fredrik Elias Pettersson could become anything from a 40 point to a 90 point player. In my opinion, with young players you always go for the high risk / high potential ones.

We found Pierre McGuire.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like Pettersson a bit better as a prospect at the same age. I'd argue that contexts shrinks the difference in production between them. Both of them were good enough to be the offensive linchpin for an SHL team, but Willy had to play on a bottom feeder with almost no talent surrounding him, while Pettersson has played on a terrific team. That does make a difference.

I'd say direct comparisons favor Pettersson, but Willy has proven more. What it comes down to is what your team needs then. As a Leafs fan I'd rather have the proven transition expert and 60 point player with a clear upside still, rather than the arguably more talented but more unproven alternative.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
You would probably take barberio over dahlin too, wouldn't you?
Barbario has a career total of 13g and 53pts in 239g. Nylander has had 20+goals and 61pts in each full season in his career.

Your lazy attempt at sarcastic derision is bad.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
we need to see Pettersso first. Nylander had a couple good seasons, Pettersson is not even in the NHL yet.
Yeah Nylander has had a couple of good regular seasons but has already become a classic playoff choker. Pettersson actually elevates his game in the playoffs so theres that

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
1 who plays better in playoffs, one who vanish...
See if Timmy can keep that going in NHL

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I find it funny how a 22 year old C who has shown the the ability to be a top 6 C in limited opportunity at the NHL level, is a proven top line NHL player winger, and had one of the most prolific U22 AHL seasons in the last 20 years as a 19 year old is somehow a less likely C candidate than a prospect who has not shown any ability to play C on North American ice.

It IS funny, isn't it? That's HF for ya. :)

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Nylander hasnt played C in 4 years. He is a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad