nylander/rielly vs aho/slavin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This one is very close. But I think the gap of Nylander to Aho is just slightly bigger at this time than the gap from Slevin to Rielly. Given Nylander is D+3 player, Aho a D+2. We shall see if this is the same after this upcoming season. But I would give the slight edge for The Leafs duo right now even with the advantage of Slavin over Rielly.

If this poll asked for who you want for the future I would have chose The Canes duo. Love Aho as a player.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Slavin >> Rielly. Not even a discussion, even most leafs fans see this.

also, good players tend to have high PDO while bad ones have low PDO

Actually, it's a very good discussion. He isn't >>, there's literally nothing that shows that. They are comparable players that would fall on the same tier in a tiered ranking system

That's not quite how PDO works. PDO is the sum of shooting and save percentage. Players should hover around 100.0. Tavares for example, was at 100.1 last season. That essentially means that Tavares wasn't swayed by an unusually low shooting % or unusually high save %. The only players that are generally always at 101-103 are the Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin tier players, or players that are getting incredibly lucky. PDO is a solid indicator of future play. People were calling the Avs fall off after they made the playoffs in 13-14 due to PDO. Same with the Flames. Same with the Leafs after the shortened season.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Actually, it's a very good discussion. He isn't >>, there's literally nothing that shows that. They are comparable players that would fall on the same tier in a tiered ranking system

That's not quite how PDO works. PDO is the sum of shooting and save percentage. Players should hover around 100.0. Tavares for example, was at 100.1 last season. That essentially means that Tavares wasn't swayed by an unusually low shooting % or unusually high save %. The only players that are generally always at 101-103 are the Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin tier players, or players that are getting incredibly lucky. PDO is a solid indicator of future play. People were calling the Avs fall off after they made the playoffs in 13-14 due to PDO. Same with the Flames. Same with the Leafs after the shortened season.
Maybe they're in the same 'tier' but I would take Slavin over Rielly with very little hesitation and im sure many others would.

good players tilt the ice/play in their favor. that's why their PDO is higher. Slavin's great defense results in the higher SV% and making the play go the other way.
Andersen >>> Ward and Lack. it wasn't luck

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Takeaways:

Slavin: 83 (2nd highest in the league and 18 above the next D - Byfuglien)
Rielly: 34

5v5 Corsi differential when Close or Tied:
Slavin: +222
Rielly: +32

Just a few snippets.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I take the Leafs duo.

Slavin is starting to get a bit too much love on this site...

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Aho=Nylander : Nylander centered by Matthews 57% of the time. Aho centered by Stempniak 35% (more than w/Staal 25%).

Slavin >> Reilly

Canes easily.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aho=Nylander : Nylander centered by Matthews 57% of the time. Aho centered by Stempniak 35% (more than w/Staal 25%).

Slavin >> Reilly

Canes easily.

Not quite. Stempniak is not a center, nor has ever played Center for Carolina. Aho either played center on that line or most often, Tuevo Teravainen played center with Aho and Stempniak on wings.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
I love Slavin's game and he is one of my favourite players but I think the gap between Nylander and Aho is greater than the gap between Slavin and Rielly. Slight edge to leafs.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
One of the two has actually played center at the NHL level for a stretch of games (and done so successfully) and it wasn't Aho.
Considering how much the game flows through Aho and how he arguably has the better two way game than Nylander, I'm sure he would do just fine as center in NHL. Aho's hockey IQ is just made for him to become a center at some point.

Although I'm willing to give the edge offensively to Nylander, it would be interesting to see how much Aho's production would get better if he had guys like Matthews in his line.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
This one is very close. But I think the gap of Nylander to Aho is just slightly bigger at this time than the gap from Slevin to Rielly. Given Nylander is D+3 player, Aho a D+2. We shall see if this is the same after this upcoming season. But I would give the slight edge for The Leafs duo right now even with the advantage of Slavin over Rielly.

If this poll asked for who you want for the future I would have chose The Canes duo. Love Aho as a player.

Ha, you've got some eye for the talent.

Same here. Aho is younger and just had his D+2 season while wrapping up a pretty nice rookie year playing with inferior team and line mates. I like Nylander too and his fantastic skill set. Still it seems fans give Aho too little credit and I wonder how many really knows him, his history or the things his already achieved in such a short period of time. His stocks have been raising like a rocket but at the same time I think a lot of people are still looking into draft position. Got a feeling that won't be playing much of a role going into the near future. But as I've said before, cannot claim it doesn't look pretty close right now (excluding the other two players & poll).

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Maybe this is part the reason why the Leafs PP improved to #2 last year. It's not as if Rielly has a better skill set that anything that Zaitsev or Gardiner offer to the PP. His shot is not the greatest slow release and power wise. He can pass the puck, but so can others. It's an assumption Rielly would rack of PP points as we have not seen this yet in his career. BTW I am curious why did you vote as a Canes fan for Nylander/Rielly in this poll?

Rielly was the 2nd most productive dman on powerplay last year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ha, you've got some eye for the talent.

Same here. Aho is younger and just had his D+2 season while wrapping up a pretty nice rookie year playing with inferior team and line mates. I like Nylander too and his fantastic skill set. Still it seems fans give Aho too little credit and I wonder how many really knows him, his history or the things his already achieved in such a short period of time. His stocks have been raising like a rocket but at the same time I think a lot of people are still looking into draft position. Got a feeling that won't be playing much of a role going into the near future. But as I've said before, cannot claim it doesn't look pretty close right now (excluding the other two players & poll).

Yeah Aho is younger, and he is in his D+2 season. I actually prefer him over Nylander going fwd. But this poll simply asked who would you take? Based on this past season, next season, or in the near future. If the OP asked this question next year, I would probably pick the Canes duo, due to Aho.

Rielly was the 2nd most productive dman on powerplay last year.
When is 5PPP > than 12-13PPP. Are you using some creative math?

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah Aho is younger, and he is in his D+2 season. I actually prefer him over Nylander going fwd. But this poll simply asked who would you take? Based on this past season, next season, or in the near future. If the OP asked this question next year, I would probably pick the Canes duo, due to Aho.

When is 5PPP > than 12-13PPP. Are you using some creative math?

Productivity =/= total output.

But of course you already know that given how much you love to use the other side of that argument when it's in favor of Laine.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
You are still digging after that age gaffe? "Younger D Man", taken in the same draft, of which experts have said Slavin is the #1D. Maybe you could just admit you don't know much about Slavin? Rielly is a couple tiers below Slavin.

Slavin is a fantastic dman, but to think Rielly is several tiers below him is just ridiculous. Maybe you should admit you don't know much about Rielly? He is a lot better than these boards like to give him credit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Productivity =/= total output.

But of course you already know that given how much you love to use the other side of that argument when it's in favor of Laine.

They are not even close in examples of projection. One is a grand canyon leap, the other is a small one. But you already know this. If you don't. Then try making a case a 31 point D man over 312 sample of games is an offensive Defenceman. Actual production does not = excuse making of such unrealistic projections.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
why is it only leafs polls with the "leaf fan voting leaf player" option?

yeah the leafs have a tonne of fans. they also have a tonne of people who hate them. get over it.

also not participating in a poll by someone who is well know to despise the leafs.

check the kapanan vs dahlen poll . guess who the only vote for dahlen was? lol

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
They are not even close in examples of projection. One is a grand canyon leap, the other is a small one. But you already know this. If you don't. Then try making a case a 31 point D man over 312 sample of games is an offensive Defenceman. Actual production does not = excuse making of such unrealistic projections.

The poster said he was our 2nd most productive PP dman this year. He objectively was, productivity is measured on a per-minute basis. You were wrong, just own up to it, it'll be ok.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The poster said he was our 2nd most productive PP dman this year. He objectively was, productivity is measured on a per-minute basis. You were wrong, just own up to it, it'll be ok.

Productivity is measured in points production. This is what I was referring to. If you want to use P/60 to try to portray a 27 point D man last season as being offensively proficient. Then cherry pick away. But it does not measure bottom line production. I was correct. 5PPP is not > than 12PPP in any scenario you wish to present.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad