Confirmed Signing with Link: Nylander re-signs with Leafs ($6.96M AAV For 6 Years) - XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Not enough angry Leaf fans in this thread.

He is overpaid and he basically sat out and got more (than anyone ever imagined).

Many Leafs fans realize that, given the outcome, they should be mad at Dumbas....

IMO they should be more mad at him because he didn't sign Marner and Mathews over the summer, they will pay a premium price next year... And yes, I know that it takes two to tango, but at a time where most of the top RFA players sign typically at the earliest time, it is interesting that Dumbas failed to sign both of them and dragged Nylander soo long....

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Not enough angry Leaf fans in this thread.

He is overpaid and he basically sat out and got more (than anyone ever imagined).

Overpaid compared to.......?

He got a cap hit percentage that was less than Pastrnak, more than Saad.

Wingers that signed within 0.3% of his cap % in the last few years are the above mentioned as well as Ehlers, Forsberg, Huberdeau. He is as much under Guadreau's number as he is over Drouin's.

There is nothing unreasonable about the amount he is paid. Are there better deals? Absolutely. Looking back on it Pastranak was a steal, Ehlers was a steal the day it was signed, but that doesn't make a deal for a player who hasn't gotten to play on their new deal a bad one.

Pastranak had a breakout year playing with Bergeron and Marchand on the top line and top PP and put up 70 points. Prior to that he was about a 0.5 ppg player. So there was at least some concern that his totals weren't fully attributable to his talent alone and that was taken into account when he signed his deal.

Nylander putting up back to back 60 point seasons as well as keeping up his scoring in his 2nd year despite his center being out for a significant portion of the season, and losing a lot of PP time, is a reasonable bet that he is continuing to develop as well.

Nylander may never be as good a player as Pastrnak, but saying Nylander's deal is bad because of how you perceive it to be compared to a deal that is objectively fantastic value, is poor logic.

If we want to do that, can we now say McDavid's deal is a cap albatross because of how the cap hit compares to Makinnons? Or bascially can we say every player that isn't Mackinnon is overpaid simply because there is no better valued deal in the NHL?

Nylander's contract, as a whole cannot be reasoned as good or bad yet. What you can say, is whether or not you believe it was a good bet, and whether or not it seems fair compared to players who had similar production leading into their 2nd contract.

This contract sits in the middle of his most comparable players, and just about all of those contracts turned out to be great value, so at the very least, this was fairly negotiated and looks like a good bet.

It's up to Nylander to go out and prove whether or not he will provide value worthy of the contract.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Many Leafs fans realize that, given the outcome, they should be mad at Dumbas....

IMO they should be more mad at him because he didn't sign Marner and Mathews over the summer, they will pay a premium price next year... And yes, I know that it takes two to tango, but at a time where most of the top RFA players sign typically at the earliest time, it is interesting that Dumbas failed to sign both of them and dragged Nylander soo long....

That fact that you use Dumbas shows you have a ridiculous bias. Glad all the RFAs like Point, Rantanen, Connor, Laine, Aho, Teravainen, and Trouba are signed long term ahead of becoming RFAs so teams like Tampa, Winnipeg, Colorado and Carlolina don't have to worry about negotiating any contracts. Games easy.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
No. Fans were bending around that last week saying: "mmm...perhaps he should be getting paid 7".

People were comparing Nylander to Pastrnak and saying he should be paid around his number.

Actually many said Pastrnak was a better all-round player and that Ehlers was a better comparison. In other words, if he got a comparable contract to Pastrnak, then Nylander was being over paid.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There’s a poll on HFLeafs and the vast majority agree it was a fair deal. What other polls are you talking about?

Wow, that's surprising. We are like the platelets that form in the blood to stop the bleeding when you get a cut.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Actually many said Pastrnak was a better all-round player and that Ehlers was a better comparison. In other words, if he got a comparable contract to Pastrnak, then Nylander was being over paid.

Nylander is overpaid no matter who you compare him to (IMEO).

IMEO = In My Elite Opinion

;)

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Wow, that's surprising. We are like the platelets that form in the blood to stop the bleeding when you get a cut.

That's like going to Dallas and asking if the Hull goal was a good one :laugh:

You guys both missed my point entirely. I was responding to someone who claimed "polls" supported his opinion that Nylander was overpaid. I've seen one poll on this entire site and it contradicts him. If there's another one then I'll consider it as well.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Ehlers and Forsberg are good comparables and both outproduced and scored more goals than Nylander their last two seasons on their ELC.
Pastrnak scored almost ppg his last season before signing a new deal so he isnt really a good comparable.

Nylander easily got a little more (after taking into account the cap going up) than comparable players got who even outperformed him.
Its not a big problem though, longterm RFA contracts on good young players have proven to be great contracts in the long run unless they decline. Much better than bridging them and signing them longterm right before they become ufas when their salary would skyrocket (like Subban for example).

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
You guys both missed my point entirely. I was responding to someone who claimed "polls" supported his opinion that Nylander was overpaid. I've seen one poll on this entire site and it contradicts him. If there's another one then I'll consider it as well.

OK fair enough. Do you place any importance on that poll though?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It's probably a bit overpaid considering the contract doesn't buy many UFA years and he was probably worth around 5.5M as an RFA.
Also, I'm not exactly sure what the rule is, but it looks like Cap circumvention... he's getting paid 10M (based on the whole year) this year + 2 M bonus for 12M, but somehow it doesn't affect his average cap hit for the entire lenght of his contract since he has a cap hit of 10.2M this year. His deal is suppose to be 45M/6years, which should amount to 7.5M on the cap hit, yet it's 10.2M the first year and then 6.96... can someone explain?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ehlers and Forsberg are good comparables and both outproduced and scored more goals than Nylander their last two seasons on their ELC.

Pastrnak scored almost ppg his last season before signing a new deal so he isnt really a good comparable.

Nylander easily got a little more (after taking into account the cap going up) than comparable players got who even outperformed him.

Its not a big problem though, longterm RFA contracts on good young players have proven to be great contracts in the long run unless they decline. Much better than bridging them and signing them longterm right before they become ufas when their salary would skyrocket (like Subban for example).

I'm not disagreeing with your points. I just like to keep the record straight. We paid a little more than market value, but have Willy in the fold now which is the better overall aspect for the team. Over time, the overpayment aspect will lessen as it often does in these kind of situations.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Nylander might be 500k overpaid this year, but as soon as next year his contract will be a bargain. With the high octane offense the Leafs has, he will be over PPG just like the other members of the Big Four.

Tavares 11M
Matthews 12M
Marner 10M
Nylander 6.9M

Don't forget Reilly 5.0M

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's probably a bit overpaid considering the contract doesn't buy many UFA years and he was probably worth around 5.5M as an RFA.
Also, I'm not exactly sure what the rule is, but it looks like Cap circumvention... he's getting paid 10M (based on the whole year) this year + 2 M bonus for 12M, but somehow it doesn't affect his average cap hit for the entire lenght of his contract since he has a cap hit of 10.2M this year. His deal is suppose to be 45M/6years, which should amount to 7.5M on the cap hit, yet it's 10.2M the first year and then 6.96... can someone explain?

He loses part of his first year salary because he didn’t play the full year. Therefore he earns in dollars only $42m on the full contract, hence a cap hit of $7m.

Reactions: jfhabs

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

To be fair, most players are overpaid when compared to Pastrnak. :laugh:

Ehlers was the best comparable in my mind, so yes I do think the Leafs overpaid a bit. Certainly not ideal for a team about to feel the cap crunch.

I love Marleau, but that 3rd year is about to be a kick in the groin I think.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I'm not disagreeing with your points. I just like to keep the record straight. We paid a little more than market value, but have Willy in the fold now which is the better overall aspect for the team. Over time, the overpayment aspect will lessen as it often does in these kind of situations.
Yep, i do think Nylander managed to squeeze out every dollar possible in this deal that Dubas was somewhat comfortable giving out but i still dont think its bad for Toronto.

Dubas needed to get him signed since this might be their best shot at a cup with Marner and Matthews still on their ELC, Kadri closing in on 30, Marleau beeing old, Gardiner on his last year of his contract etc.

A 2-3 year bridge would most likely give Nylander a huge cap hit on his next deal so Dubas did the smart thing when he was in the position he was in and Nylander was playing hardball.

If i were a Leafs fan, i wouldnt be very worried, would be more worried about Dubas potentially giving Gardiner a 6-8 year deal...

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If i were a Leafs fan, i wouldnt be very worried, would be more worried about Dubas potentially giving Gardiner a 6-8 year deal...

I think we are entering the next phase. We are now being squeezed against the cap like all teams have that were in a similar situation in the "cycle".

I suspect that we lose a couple of players per year most years for the next 3 or 4 years.

Who knows what the impact will be. Time will tell. If history is any indication, while we are likely to keep a core, it will be difficult to maintain the good quality depth in the middle of the roster. No team has escaped this so far since the introduction of the cap.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
That's right, you're not exactly sure.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Still crazy that he gets that much, very overpaid imo. To put into perspective Tarasenko and ROR get 7.5 lol and those are our highest paid players. Not saying Nylander isn't a good player but..

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Many imagined he would get $7m

As far as I remember many were seeing him get 6.75M max. Most didn't wanted to go above 6.5M.

Well he got 6.96M. I guess technically you are correct. But 6.96 is basically 7M if you do not want to split hairs.

But the reality of it all is Nylander got 7.5M if you exclude 1/3rd of a missed season. 7.5M is what other agents and GMs are going to be talking about when comes time to sign their contracts/players.

No one is expecting Point, Rantanen or Aho to sit out till December 1st just so their respective teams get a bit lower cap-hit and they leave money on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad