Confirmed Signing with Link: Nylander re-signs with Leafs ($6.96M AAV For 6 Years) - XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
So Toronto probably wanted 6 and there were rumours he wanted 8. So 6.9 is pretty even negotiating by both parties no?

Whenever you meet in the middle like that the player usually wins if he has a high asking price. 8m was out of the realm of possibility for Nylander, whereas 6 is actually somewhat reasonable. If he asked for 7 at the start he probably wouldn't have got that.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

10:57

Dubas said he told Nylander he wasnt going to sign him just to trade him. "We want him to be here as long as i am here".

Dubas (atleast from what he said in this interview) didnt give him a promise he wasnt going to trade him in 3 years but basically said he has no intentions of doing that now or in the future with him as GM.

From the interviews I've seen, Dubas has been very adamant that both parties -in any scenario- agree to a contract that they both intend on fulfilling.

I think this deal is at the higher end of the spectrum for the calibre of player Nylander is, but still fair for both parties.

As I'm personally a big fan of staggering contracts, I'm glad it's for 6 years. Having Nylander, Tavares, Marner and Matthews contract expiring in succeeding years is optimal. So I'm hoping Marner receives a 7 year deal and Matthew an 8.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yeah, I get that -- I just would've done that deal on behalf of the Carolina Hurricanes, and trade him there at 5:01 on Saturday for Brett Pesce and some futures.

They've got an opportunity to win a cup this year. Do the Pesce deal and he likely solves the defensive issues. No, the offence won't be as deep, but they can tackle that at the deadline. Maybe the Blues put Parayko or Pietrangelo on the block at the deadline -- and Dubas looks like a genius.

I guess what I'm really frustrated with, is the commitment that Dubas gave to him WRT not trading him. Nylander's contract isn't a favour, or team-friendly, by any stretch of the imagination -- it's precedent setting. I think to win a cup, you've gotta get players who buy into what you're building, and he didn't do that.

He should be treated as a bargaining chip; and should have been from the moment it became obvious that he wasn't agreeing to something in the realm of Ehlers contract.

I don't think Dubas did himself any favours by being so closed-minded with "we want to sign him, we don't want to listen to trades".... say that, sure, if you think it helps your bargaining position, but then actually listen to the trade and see if you can strike a deal for a defenceman that allows the Leafs to upgrade Hainsey, and keep Gardiner.
Parayko and petro wouldn't be on the block. If divas was to inquire the price would be steep. What are you and leafs willing to give up. Quantity doesn't equal quality not at all.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Whether you love or hate the Leafs, think Nylander or Dubas won this deal, and believe this is it isn’t low key cap circumvention, we can all come to agree on one thing:

VISA issues that prevent a healthy player from playing are f***ing lame!

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

10:57

Dubas said he told Nylander he wasnt going to sign him just to trade him. "We want him to be here as long as i am here".

Dubas (atleast from what he said in this interview) didnt give him a promise he wasnt going to trade him in 3 years but basically said he has no intentions of doing that now or in the future with him as GM.

Yeah, ok.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I hear they've already started discussions with Edmonton to get McDavid for Nylander. See I can make stuff up too. Don't be ridiculous. If Nylander and Dubas both knew he was going to be traded then they wouldn't come out and make those comments about him being here long term. At the very least they'd just say anything is possible if they knew a trade was going to happen. There's no benefit whatsoever to either of them in making those comments if they know they're not true.
I guess I am just not as trusting as you are. Let's check back in a year.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Not enough angry Leaf fans in this thread.

He is overpaid and he basically sat out and got more (than anyone ever imagined).

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Not enough angry Leaf fans in this thread.

He is overpaid and he basically sat out and got more (than anyone ever imagined).
Im not a Leafs fan btw but it wasnt that bad. Around 500k more than what he should have got imo. Better to give that extra 500k to him than some bottom 6 forward or bottom 4 defensemen.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Im not a Leafs fan btw but it wasnt that bad. Around 500k more than what he should have got imo. Better to give that extra 500k to him than some bottom 6 forward or bottom 4 defensemen.

What? No one put a gun to Dubas' head and said: "give an extra 500K to a bottom 6 forward or a bottom 4 defensemen". In other words no other forward or defenseman were options or in any conversation.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Isn't arguing about who "won" the negotiation this early kind of like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Only time will tell.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
You hit UFA at age 27 or after 7 RFA seasons, whichever is less. However, they count RFA seasons (42+ games) differently than they count ELC seasons (10+ games).

So when Nylander played ~20 games in 2015-16 he burned a year off his ELC but it didn’t count as one of his 7 RFA seasons. He has 5 more seasons to go after the last two of his ELC (or age 27 but that will conincide with the same year for him).

Pastrnak on the other hand played immediately after his draft and also played almost the entire season. So his 3 year ELC burned 3 RFA years, leaving him with 4 to go.

Ah gotcha. This makes sense.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I guess tubby Matthews and Marner can take a nice vacation during the first 2 months of the season next year like Willy?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Whether you love or hate the Leafs, think Nylander or Dubas won this deal, and believe this is it isn’t low key cap circumvention, we can all come to agree on one thing:

VISA issues that prevent a healthy player from playing are ****ing lame!

Isn't Nylander Canadian by birth? And hence it is not the visa which is the issue...

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
What? No one put a gun to Dubas' head and said: "give an extra 500K to a bottom 6 forward or a bottom 4 defensemen". In other words no other forward or defenseman were options or in any conversation.
I never said that. What i said is that its better to spend a little more to keep a teams top players together than give Matt Martin 700k more since you have the cap space because you lost a top player.

That is one of the top arguments agains top players taking less, you give your GM the opportunity to overpay for lesser players or hand out a bad contract at the expense of you taking less money. To take less you have to have a lot of confidence in your GM spending that extra money in a good way. And since GMs constantly hands out bad contracts to ufas and older players, the chances are you gave up 500k for your GM to spend that 500k badly.

carriefan

Apr 9, 2011
Nylander might be 500k overpaid this year, but as soon as next year his contract will be a bargain. With the high octane offense the Leafs has, he will be over PPG just like the other members of the Big Four.

Tavares 11M
Matthews 12M
Marner 10M
Nylander 6.9M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad