Confirmed Signing with Link: Nylander re-signs with Leafs ($6.96M AAV For 6 Years) - XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Wow! Leafs gonna score a lot more goals!
Note to sell: Remember that Toronto's GM actually has balls now.
Where does this put Kapanen on the depth chart now?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Next summer, leafs will have only 12 players signed and only 23 M in cap space.

Matthews + Marner will take most of that. Lets say 20 mil.

So they will have 3 mil to sign at least 6 players to get 20 players on their roster.
Kapanen is among those 6 players and him alone will probably take over 3 mil.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Contract is 45m total so AAV is 7,5m*6 not 6,9. Cap hit in year 2-6 is 6,996,000

Let me be the voice of reason and answer:

Do people not know what the word pro-rated means? or better yet, do people not understand grade 6 math?

The AAV is 6.996, and the 10.2m hit this year is the equivalent to 6.996m since he missed ~31% of the games this year.

Proof:
26/82 = 0.31707317073
6,996,000 / 0.68292682926 = 10,244,142

So 6.996 = 10.2

The 7.5m number would only be valid if his cap hit for 2018-19 is 10.2m and if he played 82 games this season (not the case)

Last edited:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
uyo2r8Q.jpg

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I don't even think Nylander at $7 million is an overpayment, I think the bigger problem is that after the cap savings, he's at $7 million long term. It's not a big difference, but he sat out a third of the season and still got a good deal for him.

I think there's a big difference between Marner and especially Matthews vs Nylander. Matthews is pretty much the face of that franchise, I think they'd be dramatically less willing to let him sit out like what happened with Nylander.
You are not wrong about how both players are valued by the organization, but definitely Dubas projecting an image of strength and a willingness to negotiate extremely hard is a worlds better image to present when entering negotiations with both Marner and Matthews (and their agents) then an image of someone who can easily be pressured into folding, is it not?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
@The Winter Soldier

Why do you keep changing the subject? This is not a Leafs infomercial.

We were commenting on negiations with Nylander and you spin it in other directions.

And as I said. I really enjoyed how Nylander and Gross handled Dubas to the last min. Can't wait to see how Marner and his reps can go to school on this negotiations. Makes for a fascinating off season next summer.

The team Nylander signed with is off-topic?

*ahem* Excuse me

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
The Leafs get a manageable cap hit and Nylander gets a big year one salary. Dubas mocks social media insiders on twitter. Leafs fans laugh at haters in trade thread. Seems to me that everyone won today. Especially the 3rd place Leafs adding another star winger.
This isn't and never was about "today". How the $7M cap hit effects the Leafs down the road is what matters. Now, you can spin $7m into $6.9m, and claim everything is going to be fine, but time will tell. I'm sure all Leaf fans are just relieved, and completely sick of all the nonsense that has ensued during this, so go ahead and enjoy it today. This was the little fish that needed to be fried, so prepare yourselves for this on a nuclear scale next year. Apocylyptic!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Contract is 45m total so AAV is 7,5m*6 not 6,9. Cap hit in year 2-6 is 6,996,000

Well it's not $45 million total, he signed a 6 year, $45 million deal, but lost a shade over $3 million from the holdout. So Nylander doesn't end up actually getting that entire $45 million, he just signed for the equivalent contract of that.

The way I look at it is that Nylander sat out a third of a season and still got $42 million or so. So Nylander only has to play 5.66 seasons and gets $41.77 million for doing so, which is about $7.37 million per season. I don't think Nylander did poorly here.

Reactions: CPTN71

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Very fair deal for both sides. If Nylander improves and becomes a PPG type player than it’s even better. In the long run I think TOR will be happy with this deal and I don’t think it effects them with Marner and Matthews.

How long are they on the books for Horton? That should be over soon correct?

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Next summer, leafs will have only 12 players signed and only 23 M in cap space.

Matthews + Marner will take most of that. Lets say 20 mil.

So they will have 3 mil to sign at least 6 players to get 20 players in their roster.
Kapanen is among those 6 players and him alone will probably take over 3 mil.
Cap goes up, shed Brown, Marleau and Zaitsev, there is a quick 15 millionish, promote from within, meh.

Leafs still have all their drafts, good prospect pool (not elite but depth), they have assets to facilitate creative deals.

Reactions: KapG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad