Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He is good at stripping pucks. That is about it.

As for blowing the zone, that seems to be a Leaf strategy. It used to be Hyman that was first man out anticipating a turnover. Now it's Willy. Who does like to leave before the actual turnover.
It's definitely the strategy - Willy, Mitch, Bert, and JT all do it a lot - Matty not quite as much.

Reactions: arso40 and Jojalu

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
1) He hasn't been. He actually was pacing an even higher point per game for a long stretch after the signing. He has had a miserable 10 game stretch.

2) For the 7 million he has gotten paid for this year, he has exceeded that.

3) A deep playoff run where he performs will silence the critics til next year
Agree with 1 and 2, but I'm sure 3 is wishful thinking.

Reactions: arso40 and Jojalu

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Personally I'm more worried that there are so many posters who think our best puck carrier, second-best passer, and second-best scorer should be on the third line.
Agreed but Keefe does not have a better #2C so that he can use JT as the #3C and Marner works better with Tavares. I suggested trying 88 29 16 as #2 line. Keefe clearly has other ideas.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Agreed but Keefe does not have a better #2C so that he can use JT as the #3C and Marner works better with Tavares. I suggested trying 88 29 16 as #2 line. Keefe clearly has other ideas.
I hadn't thought of that line.

I would like to see that given a shot

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
First, I was referring to the posters, not Keefe, and I'm not sure Keefe has ideas. :sarcasm:

I'd like to try Holmberg there as well, or either Nylander or Marner at 2C (I think Willy is better suited).

Reactions: ToneDog

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Let’s hope he gets to 100 tonight. Has had a disappointing finish to the season, which wouldn’t appear as bad if he was actually doing something defensively

Reactions: ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Three points in last 10. Versteeg was saying it might be the pressure of getting to 100. He probably hasn't watched him floating around for the past 10 games.

He's typically pretty good in the playoffs and has been clutch for the Leafs. I don't think it's all about the pressure or whatever, but his last couple interviews he's mentioned that he doesn't really care about that, he just wants to win in the playoffs... so I think he's overlooking the regular season for that. He's got his contract, I don't think the point totals are really important from my perspective.

He definitely doesn't seem as fast or engaged as he's been the entire season right now. We'll see if he can back up those playoff talks.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He stopped playing the way he did when he was successful and stopped being successful. Direct 1-1 relationship between the willingness to battle along the boards, go in to traffic with the puck, let it rip with confidence. Keefe yo-yo'ing him around on mix and match line combos probably didn't help with stability as well, but he's usually the first casualty in all the made experiments. What can you do.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
He looks like he couldn’t care less rn.

I’m only giving him a pass because he’s been one of our most clutch players if not the most in playoffs for us. If he f***s that up, it’s gonna be a long 8 years

Reactions: arso40

Dasher29

Apr 13, 2023
I think he looks angry/ frustrated right now, he threw a few hits last game (dunno if they counted them as hits, they're inconsistent af) and looked off his speed game, doesn't help when the defensemen you're on the ice with are brain dead. Tonight he had a couple of good defensive plays, but, again the speed game wasn't there consistently. I think he's just saving the extra energy for playoff hockey, and doesn't care so much about regular season points, though his detractors on this board love to pretend he's a me first player only caring about money and points, it's good comedy to read though.

As a fan it sucks he didn't get to 100, but, it's far from important, the dude had 3 points wiped off the board in the last what? 5-6 games?, its bad luck is all. Let's all hope he turns the luck the other way again in the playoffs, and have some positivity in here for once, there's too much complaining about a 98 point season. I think we all focus too much on what a specific player doesn't bring to the team instead of what he does, all our players have negatives, guys like Willy, Auston, Mitch, Morgan and JT bring far more good than bad.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Funny thing about Willie is the free pass he gets. The last 10 games he's stopped trying, Keefe even acknowledged that he's stopped playing and doesn't care about regular season.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's getting paid to play in all 82 games is he not? He better f***ing bring it in the playoffs otherwise it's gonna be a bloodbath in the media.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1) He hasn't been. He actually was pacing an even higher point per game for a long stretch after the signing. He has had a miserable 10 game stretch.

2) For the 7 million he has gotten paid for this year, he has exceeded that.

3) A deep playoff run where he performs will silence the critics til next year

No the critics would only be happy if he was Pastrnak (4th. in goals over past 4 season) and even then they'd argue player X is better.

For years we heard about his flamingo and it was his calling card of fear, and this year Matthews does the same and it was so the goalie could see the puck. That's all you need to know.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
What I have gathered from this thread.

1713453372480.gif

ACC1224 every time Nylander f***s up.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Nylander got himself overpaid for sure. I guess he figured it was his turn. I consider the Marner contract one of the 5 worst NHL contracts in NHL history. Bobby Holik, Mitch Marner, and 3 other guys.

Reactions: supermann_98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad