Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Matthews has never been boo'd, Marner either other than here.
Maybe I misphrased, Nylander should get just as much critisism and held to the same standards as those two. Countless times I've seen marner being the head of the "leafs should trade that guy" or articles saying "leafs can't win with marner". Nylander should be there too if this is his play.

Everyone expects marner at 100 points and 35 games in when he was ~ppg people were taking notice, that same thing should apply to nylander from now on, he's no longer on a good deal where he doesn't HAVE to be a star player, he's making superstar money so he's gotta provide that

I don't really get how Matthews's contract gets a pass either, everyone jumps on marner but he signed an nba style deal whilst not being worth it at the time. Still the only player who repeatedly gets max dollars on minimum term. If he plays bad its injuries, or marner's fault.

Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Then I don't get why they paid him that much,

if he's an 80-90 point player why did we pay him over 11? Why did he even ask for anything over 9 (this ones a bit of a joke, players can ask for anything as their right). Why were there even reports that nylander wanted around 10, and we were looking at 8-9 in the summer, he should've just signed the fair deal

I get nylander bet on himself and it worked, but it's on him to be more than that 80-90 point player, or he deserves to get booed just as badly as marner and matthews do, if not worse. It just feels stupid that we pay our guys millions more than their worth every single time.
Your guess is as good as mine.

If he can't live up to that contract (which will change over time) 11.5 might be an 80 point player in 8 years. As for the next few, just like Mitch, Tavares, amd to a much small degree Matthews, he will be held accountable by fans if he doesn't produce

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
What's choke in Swedish ?

WN.88.choke.png

had 93 points in 69 games.
choke.

EDIT - for 1/8th of the season he played at a 24 point pace.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Willie was lights out for 39 games. He signs a huge deal and then has ups and downs and looks like the old Nylander for the next 40 games. Old Willie is good because he has all the talent in the world, but we need the Willie who played the first half of the season to reappear soon.
Don’t hold uour breathe, that won’t happen until his next contract year……

Reactions: ToneDog

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Willy can float all he wants as long as he shows up hard in the P L A Y O F F S
Saw today's media availability.
It seems to look that they will continue to try Willy with Marner & JT. I am 1000% behind this. They really looked good together last game. Willy can float or blow the zone all he wants if Mitch is there. Just skate and shoot. Should be an interesting experiment.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am comparing his first 39 games vs next 40 games which just so happen to be after he signs his $92m deal. He can and needs to be better. He is closer to the first guy than the last guy and IMO he has taken his foot off the gas.

Which is fair enough, but it's still an arbitrary cut off.

I mean framed differently, he was on pace for 108 points for the first 70 games of the season, and has been on a cold streak for the last 9 games (3 points in that span). And even then, it doesn't exactly tell the whole story either he's had two goals overturned the last two games - kept off the score sheet but didn't mean he wasn't contributing.

Edit:U ltimately though, with all that said , I'm assuming everyone will agree that what will matter the most is playoff performances one way or the other.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I am comparing his first 39 games vs next 40 games which just so happen to be after he signs his $92m deal. He can and needs to be better. He is closer to the first guy than the last guy and IMO he has taken his foot off the gas.
A bit of a dropoff first 39 to last 40 games, but not too much:
First 39:last 40
hits made - 17:11
hits taken - 41:48
blocked shots - 9:20
giveaways - 22:21
takeaways - 37:29
faceoffs - 12/33(36%):41/82(50%)

Looking a bit more defensively responsible, and that may be affecting his offence.

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A bit of a dropoff first 39 to last 40 games, but not too much:
First 39:last 40
hits made - 17:11
hits taken - 41:48
blocked shots - 9:20
giveaways - 22:21
takeaways - 37:29
faceoffs - 12/33(36%):41/82(50%)

Looking a bit more defensively responsible, and that may be affecting his offence.
They were referring to Nylander.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Your guess is as good as mine.

If he can't live up to that contract (which will change over time) 11.5 might be an 80 point player in 8 years. As for the next few, just like Mitch, Tavares, amd to a much small degree Matthews, he will be held accountable by fans if he doesn't produce
I think he's been held accountable more than any of the three who have been making appreciably more.

I don't think any of the three have really lived up to their previous contracts, and I doubt that any of them, including Willy, will on their new ones (unless JT signs for 4 or less).

You don't like that - blame Dubas.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think he's been held accountable more than any of the three who have been making appreciably more.

I don't think any of the three have really lived up to their previous contracts, and I doubt that any of them, including Willy, will on their new ones (unless JT signs for 4 or less).

You don't like that - blame Dubas.
The coach has certainably held him accountable more than any of the other 3.

I don't begrudge Willy for signing his contract. You are worth what someone is willing to pay you.

Matthews and Marner have been better than Nylander. 4 million better? I am not sold. For 6 years he played for that much less but got lumped in with them as the Core 4 and he took his money.

I am sure we will hear about for the next 8 years

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Those are Nylander's stats.

The only thing I really see from those numbers is he has taken more, and gotten better at faceoffs
No one that pays attention would refer to him as being 'defensively responsible' and that's certainly not a reason for his decrease in offense.

Reactions: Jojalu

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What's choke in Swedish ?

View attachment 850505

had 93 points in 69 games.
choke.
They certainly aren't going in for him or the players he sets up at the moment.

One the other hand, he's still a +3, and he's only been on for 4 ES goals against in those ten games. Among the forwards who played most of them, only McMann has been on the ice for fewer. Only Matty and Holmberg have more blocked shots.

Reactions: arso40

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Willie has been bounced around all over the lineup as of late, so I'll cut him some slack.

I expect him to elevate his game in the playoffs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So does Willie take the $92m for 8 years from the Leafs if they offered it after the playoffs or does he walk? Who's offering $92m over 7 years today? In this case, if you have time, use it but Leafs caved instead. Personally I would not have blinked and if he walked, signed Marner and went shopping for a dman. All water under the bridge but it just goes to show how dumb Leafs management is.

Reactions: rumman

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
They need to play him with Marner, that’s looking like it was working

We need him to be going to do anything in the playoffs, this third line bs isn’t working.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They need to play him with Marner, that’s looking like it was working

We need him to be going to do anything in the playoffs, this third line bs isn’t working.
I like sprinkling in the 16,91,88 rather than full time because our 3rd line probably get dominated without one of the three on it. I'd like to see what Holmberg between 16 and 88 looks like with JT as the #3C.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So does Willie take the $92m for 8 years from the Leafs if they offered it after the playoffs or does he walk? Who's offering $92m over 7 years today? In this case, if you have time, use it but Leafs caved instead. Personally I would not have blinked and if he walked, signed Marner and went shopping for a dman. All water under the bridge but it just goes to show how dumb Leafs management is.
I’d be rich playing poker with Shanahan and company, that’s for damn sure………

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I like sprinkling in the 16,91,88 rather than full time because our 3rd line probably get dominated without one of the three on it. I'd like to see what Holmberg between 16 and 88 looks like with JT as the #3C.
I don’t mind it, but It’s not a smart idea to play nylander on L3 with holmberg and probably knies

He won’t produce, and he’ll get hate for putting up like 4 in 7. We have to maximize our big players and put them in positions to succeed.

Moreover, I don’t really think holmberg will work with those guys. He’s not really smart enough offensively or talented enough to keep up, he made that nice play to Robertson that was offside, and it was his 1 play of the game. It’s like that most games where he does one noticeable thing in the ozone

I’d rather we go like Knies - Holmberg - jarnkrok L3 and try and have them do nothing for 11-13 minutes a game. Put 88 and 16 together with JT down the middle and see if something can happen there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad