Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

Mar 26, 2010
Now that Nylander has signed the richest deal in Toronto history, we know he is not worth that money. How much should he have been paid, based on the 8 year term. The Nylander thread has been closed so I figured I would start a poll.

Is his contract the very worst in the NHL? Already since he signed the contract he has disappeared.

Thoughts?

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I don't like this deal, but there are so many variables we don't know:

-First, its a good deal for the Leafs for the next 3 years. You should be getting 'peak' scoring Nylander for 2-3 more years. The problem is he may have been demanding the additional years so you had to give him the long term deal in order to 'keep the band together' for their prime window of the next 2-3 years (maybe 4).

-I personally would have traded him if those are/were his contract demands for 2 reasons: 1.) you fee up that cap space, what else can you do with it? you lose a GREAT scorer, but you might be able to replace him with a good scorer AND a guy who is a big time help on the blue line. Oh, and ADD to that what you get back in a trade. In theory, with that cap space you can sign a forward to replace him a very good D-man, AND get some prime assets/prospects in return, hopefully 1 or 2 that are near NHL ready so when they do crack the lineup they are on more team friendly deals.

-But the other side of the above point, what is is value on the trade market? It might not be equal to what he currently is. Is he a great player? Yep, but any team he gets traded to is going to have to sign him to a similar contact....that probably rules out a lot of teams who have other plans for their cap space and others that just dont' want to....so you MIGHT Have had a reduced trade market and have gotten a lot less back in return than we think might be available.

Last edited:
Reactions: 34

Mar 26, 2010
I don't like this deal, but there are so many variables we don't know:

-First, its a good deal for the Leafs for the next 3 years. You should be getting 'peak' scoring Nylander for 2-3 more years. The problem is he may have been demanding the additional years so you had to give him the long term deal in order to 'keep the band together' for their prime window of the next 2-3 years (maybe 4).

-I personally would have traded him if those are/were his contract demands for 2 reasons: 1.) you fee up that cap space, what else can you do with it? you lose a GREAT scorer, but you might be able to replace him with a good scorer AND a guy who is a big time help on the blue line. Oh, and ADD to that what you get back in a trade. In theory, with that cap space you can sign a forward to replace him a very good D-man, AND get some prime assets/prospects in return, hopefully 1 or 2 that are near NHL ready so when they do crack the lineup they are on more team friendly deals.

-But the other side of the above point, what is is value on the trade market? It might not be equal to what he currently is. Is he a great player? Yep, but any team he gets traded to is going to have to sign him to a similar contact....that probably rules out a lot of teams who have other plans for their cap space and others that just dont' want to....so you MIGHT Have had a reduced trade market and have gotten a lot less back in return than we think might be available.
Makes sense, hopefully they dont make the same mistake with Marner.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
First half of the season Nylander is worth around 10-10.5 so about a mill. Lately it seems like Bert and JT are holding him back he doesn't have the same sizzle as 2023.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the low $10 million range would have been "comfortable" considering the cap increase after the Matthews raise would have covered up to $9.6 million in AAV. I think he's about $750K to a million beyond what would have been ideal but sounded like he had to leapfrog Marner.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The AAV just wasn't going to come in below 9M, but it still would've been better for it not to have exceeded 10M to the extent that it did. Mind you, Nylander was able to leverage the contracts of his higher paid teammates during this round of negotiations.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think the low $10 million range would have been "comfortable" considering the cap increase after the Matthews raise would have covered up to $9.6 million in AAV. I think he's about $750K to a million beyond what would have been ideal but sounded like he had to leapfrog Marner.

In the offseason I'm he was likely heading to a 9.5-10.5 mil deal, that shifted to 10-11ish mil deal with how he played this season (player bet on himself and won big time).

He's likely around. 500-600ish K over what most comparables would put him, but the rising cap complicates that, ie if we see a 90-92mil cap as soon as 25/26, that becomes mitigated.

His aav for example is still less of a cap % than what Marner signed as an RFA for comparison.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In the offseason I'm he was likely heading to a 9.5-10.5 mil deal, that shifted to 10-11ish mil deal with how he played this season (player bet on himself and won big time).

He's likely around. 500-600ish K over what most comparables would put him, but the rising cap complicates that, ie if we see a 90-92mil cap as soon as 25/26, that becomes mitigated.

His aav for example is still less of a cap % than what Marner signed as an RFA for comparison.

Yeah I don't think it's a franchise crippling disaster or anything (famous last words) but essentially we paid the Balenciaga price and got a Balenciaga sweater...

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I mean obviously we want all our players to make less to have more cap space but who really thought he was getting less than Tavares 6 years ago? Apparently San Jose also offered Tavares 13 million back then and he came to Toronto for 11. This was before the pandemic and the cap was expected to rise, which it didn’t making all these contracts worse than they would’ve been. Oh well, I’ll take 1 Nylander over 2 or 3 Bertuzzi’s anyday.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
10.5 would have been a good deal. Gross took an extra milly for chump insurance before Marners contract.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Basically, Treliving handed Nylander's agent a blank contract and told him "fill out however you want and I'll sign it."

This contract is basically a dream deal that virtually any player not named Matthews, McDavid or MacKinnon would absolutely die for. Unless I missed some details: Heavily front-loaded in almost all bonus money, 8 years, 13% of the team's cap ceiling (though that will go down over time as cap increases), full, bullet-proof NMC for entirety of the deal. All for, arguably, the 2nd best RW on his own team.

Good for Willie though, he knew exactly MLSE's stance on this ("give the stars whatever they want") and took advantage of it.

Reactions: 34

Mar 26, 2010
for me it's term I doubt at he's worth double digits in year 5-8 could still be productive but not worth the current deal at that point.
I would have been more comfortable with a 4-5 year term. I do believe he should not have been paid more than Aho or Tkachuk. It should have been less, as he is the lesser player.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I feel 9.5 was the sweet spot for team and the player he is and probably would’ve been happy with 10.5. 11.5 is high imo but it’s done so whatever let’s see him live up to it or become the next whipping boy.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Now that Nylander has signed the richest deal in Toronto history, we know he is not worth that money. How much should he have been paid, based on the 8 year term. The Nylander thread has been closed so I figured I would start a poll.

Is his contract the very worst in the NHL? Already since he signed the contract he has disappeared.

Thoughts?

How do you know this?

Is he suspended for the rest of his contract for coming off the bench to fight someone in the pre-season?

This is Mulletman stuff......... impressive 34!

I feel 9.5 was the sweet spot for team and the player he is and probably would’ve been happy with 10.5. 11.5 is high imo but it’s done so whatever let’s see him live up to it or become the next whipping boy.
I liked him at $6.9 or whatever he was getting before, but I'm gonna LOVE Marner at $13...

(can we trade one of these guys please?)

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
How do you know this?

Is he suspended for the rest of his contract for coming off the bench to fight someone in the pre-season?

This is Mulletman stuff......... impressive 34!

I liked him at $6.9 or whatever he was getting before, but I'm gonna LOVE Marner at $13...

(can we trade one of these guys please?)
Umm Mulletman is the undeniable goat of thread starters.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

Thoughts?
You said you're done with the Leafs, so get lost.

• Haha
Reactions: andora and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad