Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I don't think he's sulking. He's maybe trying to force it, which is why he's getting a lot of shots blocked, but he's still generating chances for himself and others, that just aren't going in at the moment.

The constant flux of linemates probably doesn't help either.
After he got rocked in the opening minutes against Tampa not a single team mate even flinched. My theory is that didn't sit well with him and he spent the rest of the game floating near the lines totally disengaged.

Reactions: Altair

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
After he got rocked in the opening minutes against Tampa not a single team mate even flinched. My theory is that didn't sit well with him and he spent the rest of the game floating near the lines totally disengaged.
Interesting point. Reaves and Domi went nuts after the Pezzetta hit on Kampf. The difference is the Essimont hit was clean. Pezzetta's was late.

Reactions: arso40

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'm still trying to get you to see what actually happened.

Why are you still so obsessed with Willy that you have to try to blame him for things that he didn't do?

1- you certainly didn't watched the replay on bunting nylander hooking bunting it at the ame moment benoit had his stick on bunting skate... and whatever it was the right play to do...or grabbing an opponent with your free hand, its an automatic penalty...

2- the funny thing with your comment is i didn't blame it for any of those 2 play and didn' blame for anything he did last 2 game... thats really funny. i dont know how many time i said last 2 game was 2 of their best game on 2nd half and its the nylander i want to see until end of regular season and playoff. If its your definition of blaming...

Reactions: Jojalu

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
We need to focus on winning the cup.
That’s the only thing that matters. Or at least it should be all that matters.
Lol the bottom part was mostly a joke, but those line changes would also apply to the playoffs.

This 3 line approach won't work for multiple reasons:

1) The time it worked was a fluke for the pens, the next year it fell apart as it wasn't replicatable
2) Holmberg and Knies don't come close to Hagelin and Bonino. Bonino and Hagelin are 50 point players at their best, Knies isn't ready yet and Holmberg will never reach that production
3) Nylander doesn't gel with these guys like kessel did with the above two. Whether it's fit or just kessel being better at playing against lower competition, Nylander cannot capitalize on the third line so it's a waste

If we are going to try this three line thing, it would need to be marner third line as he actually maybe can do something with the two guys mentioned above, but even then I'm skeptical. Those guys just aren't good enough (yet).

I'd much rather actually experiment with things that could work like Marner-Nylander together, vs something that will be scratched by game 2 of the playoffs. Nylander doesn't play tight checkers that well, and most playoff third liners are just that so it's a great way to shut your star down

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Lol the bottom part was mostly a joke, but those line changes would also apply to the playoffs.

1) The time it worked was a fluke for the pens, the next year it fell apart as it wasn't replicatable
2) Holmberg and Knies don't come close to Hagelin and Bonino. Bonino and Hagelin are 50 point players at their best, Knies isn't ready yet and Holmberg will never reach that production
3) Nylander doesn't gel with these guys like kessel did with the above two. Whether it's fit or just kessel being better at playing against lower competition, Nylander cannot capitalize on the third line so it's a waste

If we are going to try this three line thing, it would need to be marner third line as he actually maybe can do something with the two guys mentioned above, but even then I'm skeptical. Those guys just aren't good enough (yet).

I'd much rather actually experiment with things that could work like Marner-Nylander together, vs something that will be scratched by game 2 of the playoffs. Nylander doesn't play tight checkers that well, and most playoff third liners are just that so it's a great way to shut your star down
Appreciate the detailed reply. Unfortunately I’m on my phone on hf so I won’t be returning the favour. :laugh:
Imo with our lack of postseason success I prefer to keep options open. Basically I don’t know what may or may not work.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

HBK worked because all 3 were elite straight line skaters, it forced the other team’s 3rd choice lines out of their normal tempo because of the constant counter attack threat. Nylander’s the only elite counter attack threat on that line, it doesn’t force the opponent to play on their heels and second guess themselves as much.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I think the reason that Willy appears to have slowed down lately is twofold: firstly the PP has been awful for over a month now which takes away a lot of good puck touches and points, and secondly, he's now playing third-line with Holmberg, who for as much as I like him, is not nearly good enough offensively to play with 88. He has also had some bad luck, by my eye-test could have easily come away with 3-4 assists last night. Sprung a couple of guys for a breakaway, set up people in the slot, and again did all the work on the Robertson goal but didn't get a point for it.

Seems to be that he has been working more on his defensive game and being less selfish. I liked his curl-up last night rather than trying for the EN. Also, his attitude is fantastic. Marner would have pouted about being punted to the third line, 88 says nothing, and just gets to work.

For all the grief that Nylander gets on a game by game basis he leads the NHL in short handed takeaways.

Maybe he is just bagged after carrying this team for most of the season.

The nit picking is endless.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He took five more hits that game and only Matty had more shots.

I wish more guys could 'float' as well.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Interesting point. Reaves and Domi went nuts after the Pezzetta hit on Kampf. The difference is the Essimont hit was clean. Pezzetta's was late.
It was also open ice, no likelihood of injury, at least partly deserved, and Willy just got up and kept playing.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
1- you certainly didn't watched the replay on bunting nylander hooking bunting it at the ame moment benoit had his stick on bunting skate... and whatever it was the right play to do...or grabbing an opponent with your free hand, its an automatic penalty...

2- the funny thing with your comment is i didn't blame it for any of those 2 play and didn' blame for anything he did last 2 game... thats really funny. i dont know how many time i said last 2 game was 2 of their best game on 2nd half and its the nylander i want to see until end of regular season and playoff. If its your definition of blaming...
I've rewatched it several times, and you're still not right. But I know I won't convince you, so let's drop it.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I have no way of knowing if that hit had an effect on him mentally or physically. But he hasn't don't much since then. I hope he is in good form for the playoffs. Keefe was saying before the NJ game some thing about getting Willy going. We really need the first half player back if we're going to win a series.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Willie is streaky. It so happened that this is the year where his hot streak is a lot longer and happened more often than his cold streak.
He always bounce back better after a few down games.
I found him to be quick dominant in some shifts against NJ. Think he is rounding into form and will push for 100pts the next four games.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I think Nylander been doin ok while beeing the top player that been most effected by Keefes Galaxy braining. I belive he is the only top player that has been on all three lines during the season. With most change of players. Him and Tavares i must say.

The problem is, Knies is not good with Tavares or Nylander, and i would like mcmann with Nylander but not Tavares. but if tavares will be playing with Marner , then Mcmann can play with Nylander . Marner get the job to balance Tavares and Knies D. ok that was pretty clear after all:D.

Knies Tavares marner
Mcmann holmberg Nylander

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
His last game was good.

Didn't get on the scoresheet ... not sure about the called back goal being correct ... and was making some good plays.

Made a good play on Robertson's goal, no assist though.
Wasn't on ice for any goals against.
2 shots 5 of his shots blocked.

He seemed to be skating better.

Be nice to see him hit 100, but he's the guy who seems to get the "opportunities" to experiment with others.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His last game was good.

Didn't get on the scoresheet ... not sure about the called back goal being correct ... and was making some good plays.

Made a good play on Robertson's goal, no assist though.
Wasn't on ice for any goals against.
2 shots 5 of his shots blocked.

He seemed to be skating better.

Be nice to see him hit 100, but he's the guy who seems to get the "opportunities" to experiment with others.
Yeah he's been better since that little lull he had last week against the Florida teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad