Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Benching last night was because he tried a stick check and missed.

As soon as that happened it didn't matter what he was going to do as he was headed one direction and the puck the other. Even if he turned around and skated back hard he wasn't catching the guy.

He gets away with those but didn't last night.
Now had there been any fight for the puck, with a save it might have made a difference, but clean shot from the slot, and from Samsonov's reaction it better have been a screen as it wasn't close to being saved.

His goal, putting the puck on net.

Reactions: arso40

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Except Petterson is 2 years younger and has already had a 100 point season and is on pace for another 100 point this year, 2 year difference on a 8 year contract is a big deal
Last year doesn’t matter, you’re not paying for it. You pay for what they are doing now and how they project. Right now, the two are comparable players in terms of production. Petterson being a pending RFA vs UFA in Nylander makes the biggest difference IMO. There is nothing for us to complain about here, the value is similar.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Last year doesn’t matter, you’re not paying for it. You pay for what they are doing now and how they project. Right now, the two are comparable players in terms of production. Petterson being a pending RFA vs UFA in Nylander makes the biggest difference IMO. There is nothing for us to complain about here, the value is similar.

Huge Nylander fan, but I'm not sure who I'd take at their contracts.

Probably Pettersson, but how would he handle playing in Toronto?
If you watched some of the reporting last night, showing how Pettersson was reacting to some situations, you have to wonder about "water off a duck's back" requirement for playing in Toronto.

I don't know enough about Pettersson's intangibles, but we've seen Nylander shrug off things here, for good or bad, Nylander seems to be able to move on from stress.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

If you watched some of the reporting last night, showing how Pettersson was reacting to some situations, you have to wonder about "water off a duck's back" requirement for playing in Toronto.

I don't know enough about Pettersson's intangibles, but we've seen Nylander shrug off things here, for good or bad, Nylander seems to be able to move on from stress.

That’s an excellent point - - Nylander has the perfect attitude for playing in Toronto.

The Bridge Jumpers of the fan base want a roster full of players who are just as emotionally unstable and bipolar as they are, but that’s a recipe for disaster.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Ice time and pp time between Nylander and EB is almost identical. Miller gets used as much as Pettersson and Petterssons regular linemates were Mikheyev and Kuzmenko. He had no advantages of opportunity over Willie. Willie receives $22M more in bonuses so he is still paid more the than EP or Pasta.

If people want to pretend that Willie is a good contract go ahead, but there are a bunch of players earning way less that are just as impactful, thats no secret. Can we jut accept the deal is done and move on? He is still a star and is on a great deal this year. No more big contracts for the next couple of years and maybe Knies signs a team friendly deal tom change the culture.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I don't think Petey is the type of guy who plays well under the spotlight. He strikes me as someone who just want to play hockey and not deal with medias, fans.....The gig in Vancouver is good b/c Miller is the loudmouth and personality while Quinn is the leader and Captain.
IF Petey and Willie switches team. I think Willie will be fine and might even be better bc he got Miller to take all the crap if things go south. While Petey will be interesting b/c he certainly won't get the spotlight in TO with AM and MM. His production might drop as he won't be the first option on the PP, actually he might be higher up due to his shot. HE will also have the same problem like Willie with JT being his wingman, as he needs fast winger due to his style of North South game.
Actually, Petey with AM and JT with MM might end up happening due to their style.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Ice time and pp time between Nylander and EB is almost identical. Miller gets used as much as Pettersson and Petterssons regular linemates were Mikheyev and Kuzmenko. He had no advantages of opportunity over Willie. Willie receives $22M more in bonuses so he is still paid more the than EP or Pasta.

If people want to pretend that Willie is a good contract go ahead, but there are a bunch of players earning way less that are just as impactful, thats no secret. Can we jut accept the deal is done and move on? He is still a star and is on a great deal this year. No more big contracts for the next couple of years and maybe Knies signs a team friendly deal tom change the culture.
those were ep linemates regularly last year this year not soo much i believe hes mostly been with boeser and miller as a duo or mikheyev as a single player but your soo tryna downplay willie its not working

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

The "paid more because of bonuses" is incorrect.

Before the cap, bonuses were in addition to salary. In the cap era bonuses are part of the salary, just paid earlier.

Willy gets $92. If he gets $80 in bonuses he gets $12 in salary.

Petey gets $92.8. if he gets $10 in bonuses he gets $82.8 in salary.

The structure creates differences in when you get the money, which affects your investments, taxes, and trade value. It does not affect the money you are paid.

Petey will earn $800K more than Willy over those contracts.

Reactions: Jojalu

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
The "paid more because of bonuses" is incorrect.

Before the cap, bonuses were in addition to salary. In the cap era bonuses are part of the salary, just paid earlier.

Willy gets $92. If he gets $80 in bonuses he gets $12 in salary.

Petey gets $92.8. if he gets $10 in bonuses he gets $82.8 in salary.

The structure creates differences in when you get the money, which affects your investments, taxes, and trade value. It does not affect the money you are paid.

Petey will earn $800K more than Willy over those contracts.
I have seen this discussed at length before. It affects what you earn. and costs the team more to pay you money out of their income generating investments and into yours. If somebody gives you a million dollars in July and I have to wait till next May for mine, unless you put yours in a mattress, I have $1M in May and you have $1.05M. Thats real money that you would have had to do nothing to earn. Its additional compensation outside of the cap which is why players want it.

If you are Willie then you have 22 more of those prepaid millions than Pettersson. I don't know how exact you could be but it seems safe to say thats worth more than 800 thousand bucks. It may seem like kind of nitpicking, but he earns more than EP.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I have seen this discussed at length before. It affects what you earn. and costs the team more to pay you money out of their income generating investments and into yours. If somebody gives you a million dollars in July and I have to wait till next May for mine, unless you put yours in a mattress, I have $1M in May and you have $1.05M. Thats real money that you would have had to do nothing to earn. Its additional compensation outside of the cap which is why players want it.

If you are Willie then you have 22 more of those prepaid millions than Pettersson. I don't know how exact you could be but it seems safe to say thats worth more than 800 thousand bucks. It may seem like kind of nitpicking, but he earns more than EP.
Exactly - he gets a portion of his money earlier, which is an advantage.

He is not paid $22 million more. He gets paid less, but gets it more advantageously.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
His attention to detail and “care factor” on defence the last couple weeks is embarassing. That line won’t work unless he commits hard 200 ft.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
His attention to detail and “care factor” on defence the last couple weeks is embarassing. That line won’t work unless he commits hard 200 ft.
Styles has always been indifferent to the defensive side of the game, it’s one of the things I hate about his game, ghat snd his obtuse attitude about winning……

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Styles has always been indifferent to the defensive side of the game, it’s one of the things I hate about his game, ghat snd his obtuse attitude about winning……
He's shown he can get the job done at times though, it is there when he's engaged. He's so passive now, standing still in our end, it just doesn't work.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He's shown he can get the job done at times though, it is there when he's engaged. He's so passive now, standing still in our end, it just doesn't work.
it only makes it more infuriating when you know he has all the tools yet still takes the easy way out during games.........

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
IMG_7841.png

IMG_7842.png

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I am a big Nylander fan. And for me he will always be a Leaf. But i would switch with EP if i could. EP is realy underrated here. Yes he would get angry at toronto media and just play better. And i belive he is even a better playoff player then Nylander. And EP is a C (Nylander is a C too but will never get that chance here).

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
the nylander we saw alast 5-6 game is not the nylander leafs need. yes he still producing but he was so soft... tonight he probably cost the game goal #2 and 3 was resulting of nylander mistake

made a soft play and risky at blue line... result a free breakaway and a goal... on pk he just stop playing and the player he should cover scored.

its not the way leafs gonna win, remember the nylander we saw vs tampa last year and its not a good thing.

i hope he will finally understand than he need to play hard all the time 200 feet ( hes able to)of the ice to help the leafs to win comd playoff time, tonight leafs would been better without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad