GDT: NYIslanders @ Toronto - Second Sprint Starts - 2/5/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Used to love visiting the islander boards...after the JT exit not so much anymore. So I'll enjoy this one. It went from JT being one of my favorite players I used to watch to Barzal who I enjoy dearly.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Used to love visiting the islander boards...after the JT exit not so much anymore. So I'll enjoy this one. It went from JT being one of my favorite players I used to watch to Barzal who I enjoy dearly.
I don't mind their fans. I think they have every right to jeer the guy as much as they want. The reality is that the stuff that some Islanders fans have done to Tavares is not nearly as bad as what some Leafs fans have done to their own players and families (recall Reimer's wife). Where I feel bad for Islanders fans is that they are staring down what will almost certainly be a very ugly rebuild once Lou is replaced. They will have to end up tearing that team down completely.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Anyone else think it’s super weird the leafs all star attendees didn’t practice with the team today ? It’s one thing to give them the day off , but they were on a different pad ? Wtf???
Razz-free zone?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is this the beginning of the last stretch run for the core? Do they make the playoffs and then finally make some noise in the playoffs?

Dont know, but it will be the an interesting 4 months….

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We need to get more from Tavares, Brodie and Samsonov in the second half of the season.

That is 19.5 million in cap space right there and all three weren't good enough through the first 47 games.
Tavares and Brodie should be given every opportunity to rest before t playoffs and play only15-20 of the remaining 35 games.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We need to get more from Tavares, Brodie and Samsonov in the second half of the season.

That is 19.5 million in cap space right there and all three weren't good enough through the first 47 games.
You can add Bert, Domi, Lily, Knies, Gregor, Kampf

The list of players than have outperformed their cap hits is short.

First Half Willie
Mr. Virtue
Matthews if you ignore the games he mailed in early in the season
Jones
Woll
Benoit
Jarnkrok barely
Robbie??

weems

Jul 3, 2008
You can add Bert, Domi, Lily, Knies, Gregor, Kampf

The list of players than have outperformed their cap hits is short.

First Half Willie
Matthews if you ignore the games he mailed in early in the season
Jones
Woll
Benoit
Jarnkrok barely
Robbie??

Yep but I brought up those three specifically because at the start of the season most would have agreed they were our #2C, #2D and #1G.

We dont have the luxury for them to be taking up so much cap space and be so under performing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Like to see Knies re-energized. I’m not down on the kid, but he’s had fantastic opportunities and failed to contribute much. Robertson has actually out performed him, imagine where we’d be if he was on the top line and Knies on the third production wise. It’s a tough slog and he’s young, but we need more from him to succeed as a team.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I don't mind their fans. I think they have every right to jeer the guy as much as they want. The reality is that the stuff that some Islanders fans have done to Tavares is not nearly as bad as what some Leafs fans have done to their own players and families (recall Reimer's wife). Where I feel bad for Islanders fans is that they are staring down what will almost certainly be a very ugly rebuild once Lou is replaced. They will have to end up tearing that team down completely.
They have the right but it has been over what 6 years now? I've followed them quite a bit because of how their management handled it with JT and the revolving amount of wingers. It's funny but JT and Barzal would've been great together if they were on the same team because sniper with a passer like Barzal.

But yeah if not a rebuild, a retool is going to be necessary.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Every game is big here on out. The Red Wings are right on our ass this year making things interesting and they have added Kane for their playoff push. The Lightning are just starting to get hot after a rough start.

We need to be sharp and avoid being one of the bubble teams late in the season. This city can't handle the pressure lol. Need our secondary scoring to step up and actually provide.... secondary scoring. It's going to be a tight race this year.

Screenshot_2024-02-05-09-26-30~3.png

Reactions: ACC1224

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They have the right but it has been over what 6 years now? I've followed them quite a bit because of how their management handled it with JT and the revolving amount of wingers. It's funny but JT and Barzal would've been great together if they were on the same team because sniper with a passer like Barzal.

But yeah if not a rebuild, a retool is going to be necessary.
Barzal is supremely talented (and, in fact, I would suggest more talented than Nylander), but when I watch him play I feel like he struggles with his decision-making. A bit of trying to do too much, but maybe that is partially the result of not having linemates who can match or complement his skill. The team in general is in a bad spot. Not good enough, and not bad enough, and a GM who seems to be unwilling to admit the former. The contracts Lou handed out last summer are some of the worst in the entire league.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Kampf is now out for the foreseeable future
Jarnkrok still out
Woll out at least another week

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Barzal is supremely talented (and, in fact, I would suggest more talented than Nylander), but when I watch him play I feel like he struggles with his decision-making. A bit of trying to do too much, but maybe that is partially the result of not having linemates who can match or complement his skill. The team in general is in a bad spot. Not good enough, and not bad enough, and a GM who seems to be unwilling to admit the former. The contracts Lou handed out last summer are some of the worst in the entire league.
I do think it's the same as it was with JT when he was an Islander, not having skill on the wing but of a different situation or type. Barzal does go through slumps at times and gets into his head, That has been something from his junior days at least when I used to watch him with the T-birds or the game tape I got from my friend there.

As for the contract...I think time will tell how it will all pan out but yeah it doesn't look too great. Some looked great at the beginning though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad