Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Josh Bailey extends with the Islanders (6 years, $5M AAV)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He had 56 points the year prior.. say he remains a 55-75 point player and 5 mil is very good no matter how you spin it

im not saying he's not a good player or worth the reported deal, he is. Just that he probably will not ever produce at this rate over 82 games again.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don't know, I imagine a team like Vancouver or something dropping 6x7 on the open market and Bailey turning into a 30 pt player again and becoming miserable. I think he knows he's partly a product of playing with JT, he likes it around here, and sometimes happiness matters more than a few extra million in the bank.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
This deal terrifies me.

If Tavares stays, it's better. They clearly have chemistry and Bailey has been an offensive catalyst the last 1.5 years. But it took him EIGHT AND A HALF SEASONS for him to get his shit together. He also has barely succeeded outside of playing with JT, so I'm not holding my breath that he can keep this up.

If JT leaves, this is really REALLY scary. Not only does this prevent bringing a better player to take his spot, but Bailey could be named our next captain. It's amazing the short-term memory this league has.

I'll give Bailey credit for really turning things around, but this year could be an anomaly, not the new norm.

I'm not a fan of this at all.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This could get damn ugly paying for a guy having the best oiSH% of his entire career.

Could be as big as the Foligno mistake..

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
This sounds like an Atkinson-type deal. 5.75M AAV with term seems likely to me, anything under and it's a steal. Wonder if this affects JVR contract talks too. He's more "proven" but hasn't put up anywhere near Bailey's numbers. I don't even know who a good comparable for Bailey is, what a great type to put up a career year.

Yep. Atkinson has one of the worst contracts in the league now. The second he signed the contract he started to suck.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
5mil? Wow that's one hell of a deal considering the year he's having. If this deal goes down like this, no way snow is losing his job anytime soon.

JT would definitely be a bit more confident in the team with this deal done .

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I'll go on record saying this is a fair deal. GM's don't have the luxury of doing deals in order of preference (though some fans like to think they do) GM's deal in the real world, fickle fans, not so much. (Islander fans...almost never)

Reactions: Weiss1604

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
That's a really risky move for the Islanders. If he can be a near 60 point player (56 points last year and already above 60 this year) then it will be a nice deal for NYI. If he reverts back to his 13g-15g and 25a seasons then this is going to be a bad contract with or without re-signing Tavares.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
This deal terrifies me.

If Tavares stays, it's better. They clearly have chemistry and Bailey has been an offensive catalyst the last 1.5 years. But it took him EIGHT AND A HALF SEASONS for him to get his **** together. He also has barely succeeded outside of playing with JT, so I'm not holding my breath that he can keep this up.

If JT leaves, this is really REALLY scary. Not only does this prevent bringing a better player to take his spot, but Bailey could be named our next captain. It's amazing the short-term memory this league has.

I'll give Bailey credit for really turning things around, but this year could be an anomaly, not the new norm.

I'm not a fan of this at all.

Your hate for Bailey is unhealthy...

Not sure what he did to you, but surely you can forgive him

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
That's a really risky move for the Islanders. If he can be a near 60 point player (56 points last year and already above 60 this year) then it will be a nice deal for NYI. If he reverts back to his 13g-15g and 25a seasons then this is going to be a bad contract with or without re-signing Tavares.
Those years he was a third liner.
Problem is he hit 55 or over once before this year and that was leeching off of Johhny T again.

This is going to be Moulson 2.0
Entirely different players, not correlated.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I have absolutely no idea what to make of this contract. If this year is who he is, this is a steal.

If this year is an anomaly, this could be a trainwreck within a few years. Don't watch the Islanders enough to know.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
5m cap hit is cheap for his production this year. Nice to see not all players go for the juggular when negotiating contracts. Deal is fair for both parties.

NYI need to try convince Tavares still. Is Snow going to make a big time splash at the TDL? Got lots of picks he could use

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad