Confirmed Trade: [NYI/CGY] Travis Hamonic, 4th round pick for 1st round pick, 2 2nds

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yep, he's been playing as bad as his stat line. Not sure if he just can't adjust to the new team, or if his play has dropped off due to injury, but he gets beaten often, and tends to leave a lot of open ice when opponents are entering the zone.

Their definitely seemed to be something off about Hamonic last year(compared to previous years) for the Islanders. Most of us assumed it was a combination of injuries and off ice issues(wanting to be traded to be closer to home).

If he is still playing bad we can rule out the family issues thing

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Garth Snow looks like a genius. Reinhart, Strome and Harmonic for Eberle, Barzal +, 1st and 2 2nds.

Eberle alone is worth more than what he gave up in the above.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Took Dougie Hamilton until around Christmas to learn the system in Calgary for his first season, not sure why Hamonic isn't expected to do the same
I guess the difference is that Hamilton's underlying numbers were always good, even if his stat line wasn't showing it early on in Calgary.

In contrast, Hamonic's underlying numbers are absolutely putrid and at this point, I guess we are fortunate his cap hit isn't huge.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
hamonic seems to have been literally addition by subtraction for the Isles. they are better without him.

hamonic might just stink.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Garth Snow looks like a genius. Reinhart, Strome and Harmonic for Eberle, Barzal +, 1st and 2 2nds.

Snow is weird that way, he pulls off some very good stuff and then does something really bad. Vanek was a mess, and the Ladd signing seems to have been a mistake. Overall not close to as bad as the rep he gets sometimes.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

What.

Eberle was never worth Travis Hamonic, quite clearly. If he was, that trade would have happened 2 years ago. Eberle for Hamonic + Strome would have been an Oilers fan wet dream.

He wrecked us pretty good in the Reinhart deal though.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Still haven't made up my mind about Hamonic yet. He's been fine he's just not covering for Brodie the way we all imagined.

I want Hamonic and Stone to switch. For whatever reason Brodie seems to play better with Stone. Hamonic/Kulak could be an excellent 3rd pairing. I think his numbers would actually approve.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Their definitely seemed to be something off about Hamonic last year(compared to previous years) for the Islanders. Most of us assumed it was a combination of injuries and off ice issues(wanting to be traded to be closer to home).

If he is still playing bad we can rule out the family issues thing
Maybe not, if the family issues are still ongoing. Emotional stress can really wreak havoc on someone; I don't care if they're a pro athlete or not, I wouldn't begrudge someone for having issues with performance (particularly in a high intensity environment like hockey) if they're experiencing a lot of emotional family-related stress.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There have been games where we completely dominate the puck. And other games where we just seem lost. Such a weird season. Weird team.

The potential is there to be a juggernaut, we just haven’t got it all going yet.

TJ and Travis will be a good second pairing. They just need a little more focus and confidence.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
I think this is one of the rare trades where most of us Isles fans wouldn't necessarily be ecstatic about "winning" due to Hammer's poor play. He was and still is beloved by than fan base and we all wish the best for him. At least this isles fan hopes he finds his game again.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
He will figure it out. Luckily the team is doing well so there isn't as much pressure or attention on his lacklustre play. At this point I think they need to drop him to the 3rd pair because Brodie and Stone have looked really good when put together. Kulak is no slouch, I can see them making a good pairing too.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He can be better than he has been.

I suspect that he'll return to form next year, and by form I mean capable of being a 3D, but probably a better fit as a 4D.

The reason I say that is because it took Andrew Ladd an entire full season to look like the player we thought he could be.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

His trades have been great but don't forget that he used pick number 5 and pick number 4 for strome and Reinhart respectively

Last edited:

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Brodie has looked better with Stone overall. At this point I think the Flames would be better with Hamonic on the 3rd pairing. Although the issue could also be Brodie. He has looked lost defensively this year.

Overall the 1st pairing from the Flames has been excellent. The 3rd pairing when Kulak plays has been very good. The 2nd pairing with Brodie/Hamonic has been pretty awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad