Proposal: NYI 1st+Nelson +Hickey

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
Isles would prob have to offer Beauvillier+ for Tanev. And I'd think about it

Sure, a single good prospect is considerably more tempting. Personally, if I'm Jim Benning, I would definitely be looking to start swinging for the fences with D prospects. A guy like Pulock would be ideal, still has upside, not a replacement for Tanev, but brings an always desirable offensive dimension.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sure, a single good prospect is considerably more tempting. Personally, if I'm Jim Benning, I would definitely be looking to start swinging for the fences with D prospects. A guy like Pulock would be ideal, still has upside, not a replacement for Tanev, but brings an always desirable offensive dimension.

Why would the Isles trade Pulock? The point is for them to upgrade their defense group, not subtract from it for another one. He's playing quite well these days with more ice time with Boychuk out, I doubt he's available.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles patiently waited for Pulock
Now that he is playing well at the nhl level and the isles have De Haan, Seids and Hickey hitting the ufa market it is unlikely they move Pulock.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I still don't understand why NYI fans want to spend big value on a defender when what we desperately need is 3rd line talent. We've got bottom-6 forwards who aren't playing great defense and also aren't producing. Some need to be put out to pasture (Chimera). Some have options (Tito, Ho-Sang).

OTOH, we have depth on D and arguably the best all-around defender in the AHL in Toews. It's December. Pulock is getting better. Make a cheap move, a tweak to the bottom 6.

MDC is the second coming of "The Sweetner" Jeremy Colliton.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I still don't understand why NYI fans want to spend big value on a defender when what we desperately need is 3rd line talent. We've got bottom-6 forwards who aren't playing great defense and also aren't producing. Some need to be put out to pasture (Chimera). Some have options (Tito, Ho-Sang).

OTOH, we have depth on D and arguably the best all-around defender in the AHL in Toews. It's December. Pulock is getting better. Make a cheap move, a tweak to the bottom 6.

If Snow's biggest TDL move is tweaking the bottom 6,I would be ok with that.
Halak's play is improving and I like what all 3 kids on the blue line bring.

Pulock spent 3 seasons in the AHL, with fans making the same comments about Pulock that they now make about MDC..
He's a bust.
Use him as a sweetener.
My team will only take him if he comes cheaply.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

I think we need both equally. A veteran defenseman would help Mayfield and Pulock, and help the goaltending. Bottom-6 is definitely an issue, we need better defensive forwards who can PK and win faceoffs. That's why I would be interested in guys like Zack Smith and Alex Edler. If we get or the other, not both, that's still an upgrade.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Pulock spent 3 seasons in the AHL, with fans making the same comments about Pulock that they now make about MDC..
He's a bust.
Use him as a sweetener.
My team will only take him if he comes cheaply.

Yeah, what fans say. What really hurts is that Jeremy Colliton was a better AHL player than MDC.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
Why would the Isles trade Pulock? The point is for them to upgrade their defense group, not subtract from it for another one. He's playing quite well these days with more ice time with Boychuk out, I doubt he's available.

Understandable, and while Pulock's development is good, Tanev would indeed be an upgrade. That being said, Tanev isn't really available anyways, our best D by country mile, on a great contract and still young enough to play well for years.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I would definitely do that.

That sounds.. pretty good. It'd be a good time to let him go and NYI might interest him as a destination.
I'd want to make the trade even bigger with Granlund and a prospect, either an addition or an upgrade over the other 2nd rounder, but if not, I don't mind. If you'd be stocking up for a cup run, he'd be good cheap depth for you.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
nelson's line is actually starting to ''click'' and pelech,mayfield,pulock keep getting better in their roles .

if nelson's asking price exceeds isles comfort level there would probably be enough interest around the league in him during 2018 offseason , but for now I'd keep him around .

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nelson is much more likely to be moved at the draft/in the offseason, than during the season.

No one is going to give up a better forward for Nelson (even with plusses), and without him, the Islanders third line gets even worse.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Nelson is much more likely to be moved at the draft/in the offseason, than during the season.

No one is going to give up a better forward for Nelson (even with plusses), and without him, the Islanders third line gets even worse.

The Isles can absorb a loss on offense. Bellows is looking incredible so Nelsons days are numbered as an Islander, esp for a D upgrade.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
That sounds.. pretty good. It'd be a good time to let him go and NYI might interest him as a destination.
I'd want to make the trade even bigger with Granlund and a prospect, either an addition or an upgrade over the other 2nd rounder, but if not, I don't mind. If you'd be stocking up for a cup run, he'd be good cheap depth for you.

Can Granlund be a tough bottom-6 player that can PK? I know he's small, but he's supposed to be good defensively, right? If that's the case, and he can handle playing on a line with Beauvillier and Ho-Sang, then I would definitely do a bigger package. Not a much bigger one, but a bigger one.

Nelson or Ho Sang, or both, will be the chips traded for a defenseman IMHO.

Ho-Sang isn't going anywhere. What if Bailey doesn't re-sign?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Isles can absorb a loss on offense. Bellows is looking incredible so Nelsons days are numbered as an Islander, esp for a D upgrade.

I agree with seafoam, it's not worth it to trade Nelson now. We know what he is and his 20 goals will help throughout the season. He's on the 3rd line, his production is gravy considering how the Isles have 2 big scoring lines. The team misses Kulemin, especially on the PK. The biggest need is to address his loss and role in the lineup. I'd like a bottom-6 center to help out Cizikas with all the dirty work so our stars can light the lamp.

As for Bellows, he could be an option next year. I know the fans are killing Dal Colle these days, but he could be an option too.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I agree with seafoam, it's not worth it to trade Nelson now. We know what he is and his 20 goals will help throughout the season. He's on the 3rd line, his production is gravy considering how the Isles have 2 big scoring lines. The team misses Kulemin, especially on the PK. The biggest need is to address his loss and role in the lineup. I'd like a bottom-6 center to help out Cizikas with all the dirty work so our stars can light the lamp.

As for Bellows, he could be an option next year. I know the fans are killing Dal Colle these days, but he could be an option too.

So from a lineup perspective, if we keep Brock and also acquire a top-6 forward, we'd have to scratch Beauvillier and move Brock to LW. I'm not completely opposed but it's something to think about.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So from a lineup perspective, if we keep Brock and also acquire a top-6 forward, we'd have to scratch Beauvillier and move Brock to LW. I'm not completely opposed but it's something to think about.

Why would we add another top-6 forward? Offense is not our problem.

I'd trade Nelson if it meant adding someone like OEL, but I don't see that happening.

Beauvillier needs to get stronger, his game is suffering as a result. He might benefit from some time in the AHL. Chimera should be sitting, but he seems bulletproof from being scratched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad