GDT: NXT TakeOver:WarGames (18th November 2017) - We’re going to need a bigger ring...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ember Moon is basically a heel Becky Lynch playing a face. She's getting over to crowds, though. But if we see her lack of character here, Regal and Hunter have to see it, too.

Peyton Royce really is good, I've been on that train before they put her back on TV. I know she can keep up with the better workers, she just has to get her move set to work more fluidly. She also needs Kevin Dunn to get fired because he's going to hate her accent.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really enjoyed Takeover overall. The highlight of the night for me was the Black/Dream match, it was nothing short of perfect IMO. It was storytelling at it's best and then the actual wrestling itself was also fantastic.

I also really enjoyed the Drew/Almas match and marked out when Almas won the title.

War Games was also quite enjoyable, it was a spot fest, but I think that is the purpose of a match like that. Killian Dane impressed me more than anyone in the match and holy shit, Wolfe bled so much, he'll certainly be due for some stitches.

I didn't expect much from the Women's fatal fourway and it more or less was what I expected. I was hoping Nikki Cross would win and am disappointed she ate the pin. Not at all shocked that Ember Moon won though, I think it's been obvious since she arrived that she would be the next Women's Champ.

The Sullivan/Ohno match was good for what it was, which was making Sullivan look like a monster. Although I think the Dunne/Gargano match that we will see on Wednesday should have been on the card before this match though, it screams weekly main event, not Takeover.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Really impressed by Dream. Kid is going to be a star.

Also enjoyed Drew/Almas. Solid, solid match. Looked like Drew tore his bicep on the finish, holding onto the rope too long.

NXT title matches always seem to deliver damnn good WRESTLING. Notice that?

About to start the main event.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I kinda want AOP to blow up the tag champs match tonight. that way neither team loses, AOP make a big debut and you dont know if they are going Raw or SD

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
B)

shame the rest of the card sucked outside of D/B and Wargames

btw Virtanen be in here dropping like bombs.

So you are saying a card with 5 matches had 2 great matches and 3 very passable matches and that's a shame? Umm.. that's a good show! No.. that's a great show!

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
So you are saying a card with 5 matches had 2 great matches and 3 very passable matches and that's a shame? Umm.. that's a good show! No.. that's a great show!

the womens match was so awful I cant rate the card, and the KO/Sullivan match was a glorified squash

the title match was fine, but I dont really like either guy to be honest.

if the card had a better Womens match and Gargano/Dunne it would have been great

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I also think Dream was amazing but I don’t know how far this character can go on the main roster,

I know we were worried they would make this character unbearable I just fear the general crowd won’t appreciate the character work and wrestling ( love the Cartwheel Death Valley driver ) and he will become a jobber in a min,

Though he could easily go the route of Golddust.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
the womens match was so awful I cant rate the card, and the KO/Sullivan match was a glorified squash

the title match was fine, but I dont really like either guy to be honest.

if the card had a better Womens match and Gargano/Dunne it would have been great

Wrestling is different for everyone but the womans match was far from awful. It was passable. Not really memorable and not really special. You seem to have an irrational hatred for it. But it was average. It wasnt full of botches or anything bad.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I also think Dream was amazing but I don’t know how far this character can go on the main roster,

I know we were worried they would make this character unbearable I just fear the general crowd won’t appreciate the character work and wrestling ( love the Cartwheel Death Valley driver ) and he will become a jobber in a min,

Though he could easily go the route of Golddust.

I picture his main roster time going as well as Tyler Breeze.

He'll likely have to adapt very quickly.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I picture his main roster time going as well as Tyler Breeze.

He'll likely have to adapt very quickly.
I think Velveeen Dream is a better wrestler, he appears to be way more confident and charismatic, and his character is more lively. Though no character can overcome bad booking. Then again, I always felt Tyler Breeze in the NXT was a failure in making that wouldn't take off even with a Roman Reigns push. He just didn't seem to be impressive enough for his role.

Nice show, really liked the Black-Dream match, amazing storytelling and wrestling. Women's match was a bit disappointing, and these 3 smallish ROH guys really shouldn't have won a no holds barred wargames match with 3 monsters (AoP and Killing Dain). Good wrestlers, but I felt that it was a bit forced.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I guess I'll have to rewatch the women's match again? I didn't think it was bad at all. The biggest complaint I had after seeing it was that it was too short. I'm not a huge fan of EM and agree that her "character" is like 99% aesthetics, but it wasn't too long ago that she had a pretty dang good match against Asuka?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They may not have had the building to go to. But it was less than half full. Crowd was loud though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is it possible with alot of Houston rebuilding, that much of the fanbase simply couldn't afford tickets?

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I thought Takeover was solid, not great.

- Lars/Ohno was whatever. I get they want to showcase Lars, but this PPV could have been sooooo much better with Dunne/Gargano I bet.
- Women's match has been covered. Ember is boring. Peyton GOAT.
- Sorta fell asleep during WarGames. Wasn't really into it that much.
- Dream/Black was the highlight of the show. Great stuff.
- ALMAS GOAT!!!!!!!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Possible. Also unlike Wrestlemania and Summerslam, people aren’t going to make a vacation out of it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I guess I'll have to rewatch the women's match again? I didn't think it was bad at all. The biggest complaint I had after seeing it was that it was too short. I'm not a huge fan of EM and agree that her "character" is like 99% aesthetics, but it wasn't too long ago that she had a pretty dang good match against Asuka?

Yeah I’m not getting why people are calling it terrible. It was a fine match that was given the awful task of following up Dream/Black.

Just nothing really note worthy and Moon is really bland.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That cage match was so much fun. Holy shit. Adam Cole is a f***ing weasel and I love it.

Authors of Pain deserve more love. These guys have improved so much.

I thinks Wolfe died in this match.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Is it possible with alot of Houston rebuilding, that much of the fanbase simply couldn't afford tickets?

That, and it was probably overpriced. I know NXT prices went way up between the two times I saw them in Pittsburgh. I don't even bother looking anymore. I'd be curious what the difference in ticket pricing was between SS and WG?

Edit, found it.
SS: $500, $400, $200, $125, $95, $75, $50, $25
WG: $300, $105, $75, $65, $40, $30, $20

WWE: Survivor Series | Houston Toyota Center
WWE NXT Takeover: WARGAMES | Houston Toyota Center

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad