News Article: Nuge (Oilers-Senators)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its hilarious on this same board that there were posters here earlier in the year saying we should trade Draisaitl for a straight up return like Hoffman.

Nuges name is mentioned and its "egads, our franchise player" no wait..

Or you'd think so on this board. Nuge had always been extremely overrated on the board. he still has his legion somehow.

Reactions: Porkleaker

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pretty sure TSN has said Edmonton is not on Karlsson's list for trade destinations.

That was Dreger, wasn't it? I took that as him saying that Edmonton isn't on his NO TRADE list, meaning that he'd be willing to accept a trade to Edmonton but then again it's Dreger so....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its hilarious on this same board that there were posters here earlier in the year saying we should trade Draisaitl for a straight up return like Hoffman.

Nuges name is mentioned and its "egads, our franchise player" no wait..

Or you'd think so on this board. Nuge had always been extremely overrated on the board. he still has his legion somehow.

I think both are bad ideas. If Hoffman was 26, maybe I could see it, but IMO this reeks of a proposition where the Oilers are kicking themselves 2-3 years down the line.

Chiarelli cannot be allowed to trade any of Klefbom, RNH, or our 1st 2018. He should be barred by Nicholson from doing so. It's going to end in disaster for us.

This team needs to be have its "trade" and "spend money on UFA" cards taken away from it, sat down, and told they better focus on drafting and development.

Reactions: Consultant

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
One thing to watch for this summer, the Oilers are gonna look to trade younger players for considerably older players. They're going to claim they filled a need but getting guys close to 30 or over 30 is gonna back fire in the long term I would bet.

There are many teams that would be quite happy to dump their older players on us and get younger in the process.

So they traded Hall just in time since he will be declining in 3 years. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@Soundwave People get caught up in Age. Theres 3.5yrs difference in the players. Not like we're trading a 22 yr old bluechip for a 28yr old. Nuge is 25 in a few weeks time.

yeah, I'm sure the latter might even shock some people. This is not a kid player anymore, as much as he looks like it still. The reality is the growth or man spurt people have been waiting for in Nuge probably never comes.

Like I said though it doesn't much matter. Hoffmans role is not a puck carrier thus he's not going to be seeing the puck a lot and not getting hit as much. He cloaks into position and fires off one timers. Barely has the puck (albeit he's very good with the puck) A player like that can play beyond 30 doing that.

Hey maybe I wouldn't be advocating something like this if scorched earth hadn't already occurred but we've lost Hall, Eberle, Maroon, for sure I'm not losing sleep over a Nuge for Hoffman trade that I consider a win.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The best thing they can do this summer is nothing. Focus on drafting and development.

Every GM knows the Oilers are desperate and they all know that he's been taken advantage of by other GMs.

We are in a bad, bad position. Every team is going to try for a home run at our expense now that they've seen how various Chia trades have worked out.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This. Like the Hall trade, you fill a need, but that move has ripples down the lineup. Gone is the option to play Drai and McDavid together, gone is any hope of two (or even, inshallah, three) scoring lines.

It would be a classic two steps forward one step back move for the Oilers.

The Oilers were playing Drai and McD together DURING the Nuge injury. Just ftr. Actually Strome and Khaira looked better than ever at Center.

But comparing the Hall trade to a potential Nuge trade. Oh my. Theres nothing comparable in those two players. A Hall is impossible to replace. a 40pt vet center not all that difficult.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH has what? 3 points in 3 games with McDavid? Yes he's missed some chances but it also takes a few games to adjust to play with a player of McDavid's caliber.

If you deal RNH, then you can't really play McDavid + Draisaitl together either and that's a big problem for this team IMO.

You'd be far better off seeing if you can get Maroon to come back on a 3x3 or 3x4 deal than trade RNH for Hoffman.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The Oilers were playing Drai and McD together DURING the Nuge injury. Just ftr. Actually Strome and Khaira looked better than ever at Center.

Yes, let's bank on bottom sixers to just slide right into the top six on a consistent basis, what can go wrong?

But comparing the Hall trade to a potential Nuge trade. Oh my. Theres nothing comparable in those two players. A Hall is impossible to replace. a 40pt vet center not all that difficult.

Good thing I wasn't comparing them.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The best thing they can do this summer is nothing. Focus on drafting and development.

Every GM knows the Oilers are desperate and they all know that he's been taken advantage of by other GMs.

We are in a bad, bad position. Every team is going to try for a home run at our expense now that they've seen how various Chia trades have worked out.
Chia will sell like he's in a position of weakness even if we are the best team in the league. That's just who he is. He's a weak negotiator. He doesn't like to fight for more

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This would result in another season of around 6-8 wingers that can't score. In a lineup where two of those players have already exhbitied that they are better at Center than they are at winger. We need wingers. Depth Centers are often kicking around. Like a guy like Desharnais last year. He was better than Nuge during his tenure here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chia will sell like he's in a position of weakness even if we are the best team in the league. That's just who he is. He's a weak negotiator. He doesn't like to fight for more

All the more reason why someone needs to step in and stop this madness.

Someone else needs to hired as President of Hockey Ops to prevent Chia from making stupid trades if they're not going to fire him. It's aboslutely vital to this franchise, if Katz has any freaking clue whatsoever, he must at the minimum install a voice in the front office to prevent Chia from doing anything else that's stupid.

Even if that's Kevin Lowe, I don't even care at this point.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
This would be a terrible deal. You want to get a winger with chemistry with McD, well you already have one in Nuge.

My guess is it will be more like Pulj for Hoffman plus.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This would result in another season of around 6-8 wingers that can't score. In a lineup where two of those players have already exhbitied that they are better at Center than they are at winger. We need wingers. Depth Centers are often kicking around. Like a guy like Desharnais last year. He was better than Nuge during his tenure here.

They have made their bed, they should own up to it and admit the TRUTH for once to the fanbase.

They have made some (big) mistakes the last few years and as a result are still rebuilding, and the fans need to understand that. They're going to focus on developing Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Bear, and the EDM 1st 2018 going forward.

That's what they should do, not get bent over into another panic trade.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, let's bank on bottom sixers to just slide right into the top six on a consistent basis, what can go wrong?

Good thing I wasn't comparing them.

Well I'm not sure what you're saying because we're doing that whether Nuge is, or isn't here if McD or Drai are paired up.

We did this season, lots, whether Nuge was in the lineup or out.

The trade of Nuge for Hoffman does not change our depth one iota. Especially if instead of Hoffman we are just playing Nuge at wing on a Connor line. If we're doing that Hoffman is a dozen goals better, and cheaper.

The bolded concern exists regardless and as such is simply a red herring.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This would be a terrible deal. You want to get a winger with chemistry with McD, well you already have one in Nuge.

My guess is it will be more like Pulj for Hoffman plus.
Pulju+Lucic for Duchene+Hoffman if Sens want to save money

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well I'm not sure what you're saying because we're doing that whether Nuge is, or isn't here if McD or Drai are paired up.

The trade of Nuge for Hoffman does not change our depth one iota. Especially if instead of Hoffman we are just playing Nuge at wing on a Connor line. If we're doing that Hoffman is a dozen goals better, and cheaper.

Problem is you lose the ability to play McDavid and Draisaitl then. And who the hell is Draisaitl gonna play with? Stone-Hands Lucic? His production is going to spiral downwards.

We are better off just developing Puljujarvi and Yamamoto. We are still rebuilding (because of the GM's stupidity, but it is what it is now) ... admit it to the fans and be honest for once.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Problem is you lose the ability to play McDavid and Draisaitl then. And who the hell is Draisaitl gonna play with? Stone-Hands Lucic? His production is going to spiral downwards.

We are better off just developing Puljujarvi and Yamamoto. We are still rebuilding (because of the GM's stupidity, but it is what it is now) ... admit it to the fans and be honest for once.

Draisaitl it stuck with the Lucic dope now. With Nuge in the lineup.

I mean in ideal world we can roll back the clock and Lucic contract never happened. I never wanted useless here.

But the WORST thing the Oilers could possibly do is have contiguous seasons of McD and Drai passing to fire hydrants. The Oilers get a do over from those players for getting it wrong the last offseason. I wonder how patient they will be if if dud city wingers occurs 2 seasons in a row.

McD and Drai probably already feel this org is a gongshow. Drai must be convinced of it given he used to play with Hall, now he's playing with Lucic getting the same money.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Notable UFA Wingers this off season: James Van Riemsdyk, Josh Bailey, Evander Kane, Patric Hornqvist, Ilya Kovalchuk, Rick Nash, Michael Grabner, Thomas Vanek, Patrick Maroon

There's NO reason to trade Nuge for someone like Hoffman when there's a lot of wingers available in free agency. If you want to trade Nuge, it should be part of a deal where we get a big upgrade on D.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

How's that worked out in terms of on-ice results? Got your playoff tickets yet?

I explained this pretty clearly. It alters the shape of the roster and limits what the coach can roll out. It also forces you to put players like Strome or Kharia in positions where they are unlikely to succeed long term. It's another robbing Peter to pay Paul move.

The bolded concern exists regardless and as such is simply a red herring

Not to the same extent and not with regards to the central strength of the team, its depth down the middle.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl it stuck with the Lucic dope now. With Nuge in the lineup.

I mean in ideal world we can roll back the clock and Lucic contract never happened. I never wanted useless here.

But the WORST thing the Oilers could possibly do is have contiguous seasons of McD and Drai passing to fire hydrants. The Oilers get a do over from those players for getting it wrong the last offseason. I wonder how patient they will be if if dud city wingers 2 seasons in a row.

McD and Drai probably already feel this org is a gongshow. Drai must be convinced of it given he used to play with Hall, now he's playing with Lucic getting the same money.

They should just play Connor + Leon together next year. At least for that line that problem is basically solved as they produce at an elite rate together. Long term you can split them up.

I'd try to bring Maroon back and dump Kassian instead. Maroon is far more useful to us and reads well off McDavid.

This is not a great situation, but doing something else now that's stupid this summer is not going to help us long term. Worse comes to worse I just roll with this

Yamamoto McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic (bleh) RNH Puljujarvi

If you make the playoffs, fine, great, if you don't, well that's the reality of having stupid management.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Stauffer just said on Oilers now that even if he knows who Sens are watching he’s not telling.

Goes on the remind listeners how much Dorian loves Drai from before his draft year.

Connect the dots.... then says de doubts Oilers and Sens ever get a deal done.

Hopefully he was just checking out the '+' type players for a Drai+ for Karlsson trade that never happens.

Don't like that trade and I don't like the Nuge Hoffman one floating around either. Another possibility though from the Sens POV is trade for Klef to replace Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad