News Article: Nuge (Oilers-Senators)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Chia should have been prevented from trading Hall or Eberle. Nuge I don't think is the same caliber of player regardless of position played.
You know I agree with that. Its been my stance all along that Hall and Eberle carried RNH to his six million dollar deal. But I'm talking about Nuge today. Maybe he did benefit from seeing his two linemates shipped out. Or maybe its just that the kid who always looked like your scrawny younger brother is finally filled out into his body. Or maybe its the McDavid magic rubbing off on him. I dunno, but he looks like a better player this year - and that's even after allowing that he has about four or five EN goals. Looks happier too. Not that that necessarily means anything, but its nice to see.
I'm not convinced on Hoffman but I am convinced we need better wingers than we have and we need better players playing with McD and Drai.
But why not just play RNH on McDavid's wing. Is Hoffman going to be that much of an upgrade? If we keep Nuge we have a spare center in our back pocket in case of injury or should we ever make the playoffs again in our lifetimes. Its a bad deal 1 for 1.

Reactions: Consultant

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Absolutely. Hoffman playing all day with McD is a 30 goal scorer, easy. With a chance at 40 as you say.

A year ago we wouldn't even be able to talk about a trade like this involving Nuge.

Hoffman has a pure and consistent one time shot. That is gold playing with either McD or Drai, or on PP. We've been missing that kind of trigger the whole time we've had the twin towers.

Nuge playing all day with McDavid is easily a 30 goal scorer.

Just because posters like yourself undervalue Nuge it doesn't mean NHL GMs do.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Drai stated this season with a serious Concussion and played through the aftereffects.

Zero excuses were there, and from you, when he was struggling initially due to that.

This is incoherent.

lmfao about the EV goals. As stated 3 of Nuges were empty net goals. Another 2 were own goals. That's five of his precious EV goals right there.

Drai had one ENG and, playing with McDavid as much as he has, enough easy tap ins to make up the difference. As for the own goals, those are usually the result of a dangerous play that would result in a scoring chance (I remember the 2 on 1 versus Calgary, don't recall the other).
Ludicrous to consider either of those as somehow unearned gifts from the hockey gods.

Nuges career high is 24 goals through several seasons and while playing CONSTANTLY with Allstars

And? No one is arguing he's a sniper. But a 50 point, all situations centre just entering his prime and signed to a cap friendly deal would be a great get for the Sens in return for a 28 year old scorer two years out from UFA and primed for a payday we can not afford to give,

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You know I agree with that. Its been my stance all along that Hall and Eberle carried RNH to his six million dollar deal. But I'm talking about Nuge today. Maybe he did benefit from seeing his two linemates shipped out. Or maybe its just that the kid who always looked like your scrawny younger brother is finally filled out into his body. Or maybe its the McDavid magic rubbing off on him. I dunno, but he looks like a better player this year - and that's even after allowing that he has about four or five EN goals. Looks happier too. Not that that necessarily means anything, but its nice to see.
But why not just play RNH on McDavid's wing. Is Hoffman going to be that much of an upgrade? If we keep Nuge we have a spare center in our back pocket in case of injury or should we ever make the playoffs again in our lifetimes. Its a bad deal 1 for 1.

Are you watching all the games? Nuge has whiffed on half a dozen premium scoring chances just the last couple games. With half of those being easy tap ins on perfect McD feeds.

Nuge somehow managed to whiff a grade A tap in last night tripping over open air. It was a more cringe worthy play than the Lucic play I commented on.

Nuge has NEVER had a natural one time shot, he doesn't have a particularly good shot, and his career max, again, is 24 goals playing with allstars continuously.

Hoffman scores more goals every year than Nuges highest ever total and hasn't had the consistent linemates Nuge has.

Frankly Strome at Center covers more for a loss of Nuge than Strome covers for Eberle. That would be what the club does without Nuge.

I actually like both Khaira and Strome at Center so options are there.

Finally where has THIS Nuge been the previous 2 seasons? Where was he in the playoffs? I have issue with that.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Hoffman is a better goal scorer than Nuge, this isn't even a debate. Based on some of the comments in this thread, you would think that Nuge is some kind of franchise player.

I like Nuge (the version we're seeing this season) but realistically, he's a 20 goal, 50-55 point 2 way 2nd line center. He's a good player but if you can get Hoffman for him, that's pretty solid value and you're saving about $1M cap for the next 2 seasons.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

This. Like the Hall trade, you fill a need, but that move has ripples down the lineup. Gone is the option to play Drai and McDavid together, gone is any hope of two (or even, inshallah, three) scoring lines.

It would be a classic two steps forward one step back move for the Oilers.

Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Nuge played several seasons here with prolific linemates that were producing more than him. Nuge averaged around 15 goals/season playing with allstars. Playing with players that peak out at PPG.

In anycase you know my preference is that we still have Maroon. That solves a lot of problems including that McD is getting belted out there playing with the likes of Aberg and Nuge. That line, with that configuration is vulnerable. Opponents don't take as many liberties when the lien is bigger with a Maroon or Draisaitl in there. just saying.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Are you watching all the games? Nuge has whiffed on half a dozen premium scoring chances just the last couple games. With half of those being easy tap ins on perfect McD feeds.

Nuge somehow managed to whiff a grade A tap in last night tripping over open air. It was a more cringe worthy play than the Lucic play I commented on.

If there was ever a signal of a person having an irrational bias against a player, this is it.
Nuge driving to the net on his off side, gets the pass in his feet and has to try to pull the puck back as his momentum carries him past the goal line. Easy tap in my eye.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When you can't even look forward to the off-season because you're terrified the league's worst trading front office will strike again.

Life as an Oilers fan.

I think Nuge and Klefbom could both be gone and long term we will lose on both trades. It's "short term fix" desperation time for the GM if he manages to not be fired, he knows he has to do drastic things because even his supporters (all three of them) on this board say he's toast if next year doesn't turn immediately for him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nuge played several seasons here with prolific linemates that were producing more than him. Nuge averaged around 15 goals/season playing with allstars. Playing with players that peak out at PPG.

In anycase you know my preference is that we still have Maroon. That solves a lot of problems including that McD is getting belted out there playing with the likes of Aberg and Nuge. That line, with that configuration is vulnerable. Opponents don't take as many liberties when the lien is bigger with a Maroon or Draisaitl in there. just saying.

I know your preference is to have Maroon. But the results that Nuge is putting up with mcDavid don't lie. Also as for his former "prolific" linemates, everyone knows he spent 90% of his time covering for them as neither one could be bothered to listen to a coach or backcheck. He has never played with a player who thinks a 2 way game like he does and can set him up.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I missed that play, but I doubt it was more cringe worthy than the Lucic play you mentioned earlier.
Everyone in the room was like 'wtf Looch, you just putting on skates for the first time today'.

Look, I'm not going to get into it with you over defending RNH of all things. I think you and I have mostly been on the same page with this player. But I'm going to give him credit for an improvement shown this season. Is he finishing all of his chances? No. Does he have a history of playing well/motivated in spurts and then cooling right off? Yes. Has he had some lucky bounces and EN this season? Yes. I'll stipulate to all that. But players are not static entities. RNH is, I believe, a better player than he's shown to date. Maybe, just maybe he's going to turn a corner here. There is still plenty of time in his career for him to become worthy of his draft slot and paycheck. I'm hoping like hell he does that because its going to make the Oilers a better hockey club.

Sure I would trade him for a homerun win. That's not Hoffman.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hoffman is a better goal scorer than Nuge, this isn't even a debate. Based on some of the comments in this thread, you would think that Nuge is some kind of franchise player.

I like Nuge (the version we're seeing this season) but realistically, he's a 20 goal, 50-55 point 2 way 2nd line center. He's a good player but if you can get Hoffman for him, that's pretty solid value and you're saving about $1M cap for the next 2 seasons.

Never said Hoffman wasn't a better goal scorer. Only said that Nuge would score 30 if he played all of his minutes with Connor.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Worth noting that Edmonton traded a more productive scorer in Eberle for a vanilla third line centre, so it make sense to trade a useful and productive 2C for an older, soon-to-be as expensive scorer.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Another thing I don't get is the sudden concern with Hoffmans age. Are people seeing any decline? Hoffman has around 110goals just in his last 4 seasons, as many as Nuge has scored in his career.

But the key thing is Hoffman has a legit one timer shot that the oilers don't have unless we're throwing Draisaitl in there with McD. Thing is Hoffman scores the type of goals, and from range, that the Oilers generally are not scoring presently.

The style of play Hoffman plays he probably plays well enough to age 33. This means that he's here and productive through McD/Drai SC window. After that timeframe it doesn't much matter.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hoffman will be a mistake, but I expect the Oilers front office to bite.

Mistakes are gonna be made this summer. Combining a front office that doesn't trade well to begin and add in desperation and you have a very bad combination.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know your preference is to have Maroon. But the results that Nuge is putting up with mcDavid don't lie. Also as for his former "prolific" linemates, everyone knows he spent 90% of his time covering for them as neither one could be bothered to listen to a coach or backcheck. He has never played with a player who thinks a 2 way game like he does and can set him up.

Limited short term results ARE a lie. You should never take such short sample to mean anything, and of course one of the Nuge goals was an empty net goal. The other a deflection. Nuge has flat out missed on half a dozen perfect McD feeds so far.

I'll add that this is the inspired version of Nuge we are seeing. The one that plays 10 games like this and then you don't notice him. I have no doubt Nuge is thrilled to be playing with McD now. I question that he could match the kind of energy he is playing with presently for say 10-20 games. (and we won't even know this year because theres not enough sample to really go on) Nuges hits walls regularly, just few people comment on them. He hit one two weeks before his injury.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There's speculation PD is scouting Nugey. If Chia trades him (especially for Hoffman which has been speculated), I don't know if I can follow this team anymore
Fair enough, I would save yourself the trouble and just stop now. I'm not assuming anything about what could happen, but if you're already leaning in that direction, safest to just depart now and save yourself the "grief"

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Never said Hoffman wasn't a better goal scorer. Only said that Nuge would score 30 if he played all of his minutes with Connor.

By saying that you're insinuating that RNH is as good a goal scorer as Hoffman is, essentially if Hoffman can score 30 on McDavid's wing so can Nuge.

Also, why is saying this is a fair trade undervaluing Nuge?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hoffman is as good as Nuge and on a cheaper deal. He’s also been much better in the previous 2 seasons.

Assuming you don’t give up anything else in the trade it’s an easy win.

Makes me doubt chia could pull it off. Forget Hoffman. Think ceci.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One thing to watch for this summer, the Oilers are gonna look to trade younger players for considerably older players. They're going to claim they filled a need but getting guys close to 30 or over 30 is gonna back fire in the long term I would bet.

There are many teams that would be quite happy to dump their older players on us and get younger in the process.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I missed that play, but I doubt it was more cringe worthy than the Lucic play you mentioned earlier.
Everyone in the room was like 'wtf Looch, you just putting on skates for the first time today'.

Look, I'm not going to get into it with you over defending RNH of all things. I think you and I have mostly been on the same page with this player. But I'm going to give him credit for an improvement shown this season. Is he finishing all of his chances? No. Does he have a history of playing well/motivated in spurts and then cooling right off? Yes. Has he had some lucky bounces and EN this season? Yes. I'll stipulate to all that. But players are not static entities. RNH is, I believe, a better player than he's shown to date. Maybe, just maybe he's going to turn a corner here. There is still plenty of time in his career for him to become worthy of his draft slot and paycheck. I'm hoping like hell he does that because its going to make the Oilers a better hockey club.

Sure I would trade him for a homerun win. That's not Hoffman.

The play was worse because Nuge missed a wide open goal easy tap in. For some reason he stumbled over himself and the puck flew into the corner instead of the wide open cage. It was bad.

Agreed that Hoffman is no homerun. But the last few seasons of Nuge haven't been either. Even in Nuges best season in a long time, this year, he's not as good as Hoffman.

Fact of the matter is Hoffman has put up better boxcars everyone of the last 4 seasons than Nuge.

For sure as hell the Oilers aren't going to get a homerun deal for RNH, lol, we didn't get one for Hall or Eberle who never should have been traded. \

Of the 3, quite clearly, I put Nuge last.

As other posters have stated in this thread Nuge for Hoffman is the first reasonable trade of a 6M buck contract player Chia's considered.

Again, if we had managed to trade Dead Nuge last year for Hoffman people would have been ecstatic at the return. Or happy to get any legit player return on the contract.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hoffman is as good as Nuge and on a cheaper deal. He’s also been much better in the previous 2 seasons.

Assuming you don’t give up anything else in the trade it’s an easy win.

Makes me doubt chia could pull it off. Forget Hoffman. Think ceci.

IMO it's going to be a mistake long term, but the Oilers will be able to sell it on this basis "we need to get help now" and that'll play with a section of the fanbase.

I think in a few years though people will realize it was a bad move.

Most forwards have a decline in production after age 30, that's just a fact.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
RNH, Klefa, our 1st and one of Benson/Bear/Benning for Hoffman and Karlsson. Would need to do some finessing of the cap but it is certainly doable at least next season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH, Klefa, our 1st and one of Benson/Bear/Benning for Hoffman and Karlsson. Would need to do some finessing of the cap but it is certainly doable at least next season.

Pretty sure TSN has said Edmonton is not on Karlsson's list for trade destinations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad