Confirmed with Link: [NSH/TOR] Franson and Santorelli for Jokinen, Leipsic, 1st Pt. II

Tyler Biggs*

If you recall the Leafs do not have a second round pick. This a least gets them another prospect. We need to start stocking up on picks not constantly giving them away.

Smart trade. The Leafs trade 2 UFA's they couldn't re-sign for a 1st rounder, a good prospect, and a UFA/Jokinen who comes off the books and gives them cap space at the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler Biggs*

Who's kidding who. Jokinen was moved because of cap issues. He's a UFA after the season and Toronto had no desire on resigning him. He'll either walk or be traded for a late round pick.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
If you recall the Leafs do not have a second round pick. This a least gets them another prospect. We need to start stocking up on picks not constantly giving them away.

Smart trade. The Leafs trade 2 UFA's they couldn't re-sign for a 1st rounder, a good prospect, and a UFA/Jokinen who comes off the books and gives them cap space at the end of the season.

Agreed. I heard rumours that Santo is looking for a 3 year/9M deal, if so I think we should try to bring him back, 3M a season for a player of his caliber is reasonable and lets it face it we do need vets to help with the rebuild.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
Agreed. I heard rumours that Santo is looking for a 3 year/9M deal, if so I think we should try to bring him back, 3M a season for a player of his caliber is reasonable and lets it face it we do need vets to help with the rebuild.

Mason Raymond.... Mind you I think Santo is a more consistant player than Raymond but I worry about these project players when they have a good year and get their pay day.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Seems reasonable.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Mason Raymond.... Mind you I think Santo is a more consistant player than Raymond but I worry about these project players when they have a good year and get their pay day.

Raymond IS a soft one dimensional 20 goal scorer who brings little else to the table, Santo may not be a gifted offensive player but he can fit anywhere in the top 9 and thrive in any role he's given.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Not similar at all. Raymond makes Kessel look tough.

Jokinen looked better than I thought he would. I could see someone taking him for a late round pick at the deadline.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Why The Franson/Santa Deal So Soon??

After pulling the trigger on the deal, Nonis said that he didn't want to wait. Why not? Why the rush to get that deal done? I thought that it was a precursor to another deal, but apparently, that is not the case.

With the interest that was surrounding both players, couldn't we have gotten a better deal if we had waited until much closer to the deadline? Couldn't we have received the same sort of deal from a team further down in the standings (therefore making that 1st a little sweeter)? I don't get it. :help:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
How many teams wanted both, Franson, and Santorelli? Probably none. On their own I doubt we get a 1st back, more like two 2nds.

Nonis really wanted a 1st and got it done, so why not then?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Well it has been rumored that Franson aggravated a hip injury lately so I believe that the trade was made to ensure that Franson and/or Santorelli didn't get hurt before the deadline and therefore not been able to be traded.

with that thought looming over their heads I believe that once a team reached the amount Nonis wanted he accepted it asap.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
After pulling the trigger on the deal, Nonis said that he didn't want to wait. Why not? Why the rush to get that deal done? I thought that it was a precursor to another deal, but apparently, that is not the case.

With the interest that was surrounding both players, couldn't we have gotten a better deal if we had waited until much closer to the deadline? Couldn't we have received the same sort of deal from a team further down in the standings (therefore making that 1st a little sweeter)? I don't get it. :help:

Your right you don't get it- 1. Franson has a lingering hip injury, Nonis didn't want to wait and risk it further occurring and then not being able to deal him at the deadline 2. Franson was beginning to crumble, had Nonis waited likely his value drops further.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011

It took 2 weeks for that deal. Let's have them work on something else. It is also valuable to not have them on the team for them to drop in the standings

Peace Frog

Jun 18, 2009
Dreger mentioned Franson's value had started going down, since his play has dwindled. You don't always get a better deal by waiting.

I'd be pretty surprised if his value could go down that quickly. A few sub par games isn't going to change what Franson has to offer another team. IMO.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Why complain about it? We got a pretty solid return.

If sold right at the deadline, I'd guess Franson would have gotten two 2nds, and Santorelli a 2nd + 4th or something like that.

A late 1st is worth more than two late 2nds (it's worth an early 2nd + late 2nd, but not two late), and Leipsic at this point is worth more than a late 2nd as well. So I think we got equivalent value to what we would have gotten near the deadline anyways.

Peace Frog

Jun 18, 2009
Your right you don't get it- 1. Franson has a lingering hip injury, Nonis didn't want to wait and risk it further occurring and then not being able to deal him at the deadline 2. Franson was beginning to crumble, had Nonis waited likely his value drops further.

I see your point about the hip injury thing.:nod:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Maybe we could've gotten a slightly better deal if we waited. Maybe not. Maybe one of them gets hurt in the next 2 weeks.

No real use dwelling, we got a fair offer and got the tank started early. No complaints here.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I'd be pretty surprised if his value could go down that quickly. A few sub par games isn't going to change what Franson has to offer another team. IMO.

Phaneuf playing with Franson really helped his value, if you watch Franson from Phaneufs injury to now, you would see he makes bad decisions with the puck in hus own end and is not the quickest player.

Had they waited for the deadline Fransons flaws would have showed more and more. At best that deal may have become Leipsic, Jokinen, and NSH 2nd or worse NSH 3rd.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why wasn't Franson and Santa in the Nashville lineup on Tuesday night? The trade was complete by then since we played Jokinen. Are they going to play tonight?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

the management team set a price and floated it to the other interested gms in the league

that's how you get trade discussions started

once the price is met , the trade is made , simple as that

you don't go moving the goal posts on folks like that.

lol this ain't the movie "draft day" after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad